PDA

View Full Version : Question about preparing rice to serve cold later

Est
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I want to cook a rice dish tonight which I can put in my lunchbox to eat cold tomorrow lunch time.

I've found several very nice recipes involving things like lemon and fresh coriander :)

Should I add the fresh coriander towards the end of cooking the rice as per the recipes, or should I add it tomorrow morning when I pack the rice in the lunchbox? I'm worried the coriander might go "funny" overnight! :p

Learning to cook is full of unexpected puzzles... Thanks for any help on this!

RedWellies
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Remember to cool the rice quickly and chill in the fridge ASAP. Rice is dodgy stuff if kept warm for long periods (bacteria loves it!).

cobweb
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
yes, too true RW, we've had rice troubles before and won't eat it now!.

cedarblue
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
i've never had rice problems (what are they?) an usually keep some overnight/following day i fridge to fry up with soy sauce for daughters breakfast.

est, if you add fresh herbs while cooking it will wilt and go claggy - i'd add fresh to the rice the day you want to eat it when the rice is cold too so won't cook the herbs.

Est
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks all :)

I have found a good set of safety instructions on cooking/cooling/reheating rice just in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future and wants to know:

http://www.rushcliffe.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=1560

cedarblue - I will add the coriander just before packing the rice as you suggest - though may do the rice tomorrow night for Thursday due to the mountain of clothes washing awaiting me!

cobweb
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
cedar the rice troubles we have had are in re-heating it after leaving to cool (probably for too long) and then spending all day running to the bathroom!.

sorry, est, i'm sure yours will be good.

flying plum
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
yes - you must be careful reheating rice; it's a great breeding ground for e-coli. i always make tofu-egg fried rice with leftovers, as putting it in a hot wok is the only way i'm convinced it won't kill me *l*

never had any problems with cold rice from the night before though...i'm just not a big fan of the texture it takes on when it's cold.

oh, and i'd put the coriander in the next morning...but that's just because i love the taste of raw coriander :D

amanda