PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners' World (UK)

Aradia
Apr 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Has anybody watched the new format?

dontcha just hate it!!!!

Stupid editing, time wasting, too much of Joe's family and house, annoying couple Carol Klein is helping, minimal plant focus and advice.

It's like some low budget reality TV. Very disappointing (great new music though!)

cedarblue
Apr 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
more monty gently sowing veg and plants is all we need.

aubergine
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
more monty gently sowing veg and plants is all we need.

I used to love watching it in the Geoff Hamilton days. I think Monty does a good job though :)

Have you seen any of the 80 gardens series?

eco
Apr 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Has anybody watched the new format?
Yes, bring back the old one! They keep messing around with programme formats that really don't need changing. They did it to Ski Sunday which was just right for seeing lots of competetive skiing and now it's blokes larking around on snowboards for 50 minutes and 10 minutes of proper skiing. Very annoying. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

cedarblue
Apr 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
aub, do you mean the monty around the world in 80 gardens? yes, i thought it was a very inspiring and enchanting prog.

aubergine
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:28 PM
aub, do you mean the monty around the world in 80 gardens? yes, i thought it was a very inspiring and enchanting prog.

That's the one. I missed quite a few so I'll be looking out for it on DVD.

aubergine
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I watched Gardener's World in HD this evening. Very good it was too.

I want an allotment now, but the waiting list is around three years here!

pixeequeen
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I want my own allotment too. Wish I 'd seen this prog, I heard about it but I'm too rubbish to remember.

I am lucky enough to help run a conservation project covering a series of plots (ie not letting them be turned into regular allotments) at the biggest allotment site in Europe. It's great 2 heritage too. *stops self aware she could rant all day about said project*
Yes, allotments are great :)

Ginger
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I've watched Gardeners' World since I was tiny, and it's always a little strange when there are big changes. I adore Monty Don, I could watch/listen to him all day. For me, the problem with the new format is that it seems to have been designed for viewers with a short attention span. It just jumps from one thing to another so quickly (maybe I'm just getting old :D). It doesn't seem to FLOW the way you want it to with a glass of wine on a Friday night anymore :D. I'll keep watching for now though as there aren't exactly many proper gardening programmes to choose from (and there's always Monty :o).

cedarblue
May 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
i was very sad to read that monty don has had a minor stroke and is standing down from current presenting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2009136/Monty-Don-has-a-stroke-and-stands-down-as-BBC-presenter.html

Ginger
May 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I was so shocked when the bbc announced this :eek:I have a huge admiration and respect for Monty Don and felt he was the saving grace of Gardener's World.
Hope he makes a complete recovery whilst taking well earned rest.

Wonder who (or if) will be the new main presenter?
What's Cleve West up to at the mo...;)

Aradia
May 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Huge shock about Monty Don ... he looks so fit, and apart from his problems with depression, seemed so healthy. Just shows that a stroke can happen to anywone.

I have a real soft spot for him ... love his voice, his views, his enregy ... everything about him.

I would like to see Bob Flowerdew or Sarah Raven take over the role. Anybody but Alys! She's awful!

Ginger
May 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, Bob Flowerdew would be good, he's 100% organic :thumbsup:
What about Pippa Greenwood, at least she's veggie :)

cedarblue
May 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
his enregy ....

i like his energy but i'm just being picky!! :p

seriously though, anyone but joe swift - he's pretty annoying to me.

come back alan maybe??

Aradia
May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
doh!

I was recently writing about nuturing children and added an "e" and wrote about neutering them!

I used the loath Alan Titchmarsh as I'd mostly seen him on Ground Force (which I hated !) ... but he's actually OK. Definately knows his stuff .. but he can be a big smug at times. And yeah, Joe is annoying! He's great in small doses, but he's been over-exposed... not everbody is a star!

cedarblue
May 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
of course, there's always me!

i'm 'resting' at the moment...hahaha :lol:

Ginger
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
The BBC have anounced the new main presenter is Toby Buckland. He popped up on the show a couple of weeks ago. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't want to give him a hard time before he's even had a chance but Monty is a hard act to follow.