PDA

View Full Version : Best Vegan Chocolate Cake EVER!

Artichoke47
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Chocolate Cake to Live For

From Great Good Desserts Naturally by Fran Costigan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Oil two 9-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper

Ingredients:

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. unbleached white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/2 c. plus 2 T. Dutch process cocoa (a/k/a "unsweetened" cocoa)
1/2 c. maple sugar (or other organic dry sugar)
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. pure maple syrup
1 c. vanilla soymilk, ricemilk, or oatmilk (not Eighth Continent brand; any other brand
is fine)
1 c. water
2 tsp. balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl: flours, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa, and sugar. Stir with a wire whisk to mix.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients with a wire whisk until foamy: oil, maple syrup, vegetable-based milk (vanilla-flavored), water, vinegar, and extracts.

3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into pans, dividing evenly, and bake on center rack of the preheated oven for 25 to 30 min. or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched or a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

4. Cool cake layers in pans on wire cooling racks for 10 min. Use a dinner knife to release cakes from sides of pans. Turn layers out of pans directly onto racks. Cool completely. Wrap layers tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate before assembling cake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chocolate Tofu Cream:

Ingredients:

1 lb. firm tofu, blanched and pressed (meaning to boil/simmer it for 10 min. and then
place on paper toweling with a heavy object on top to drain; a good item to use is
an aseptic container, like a ricemilk container)
2 T. canola oil
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. Dutch process cocoa
1/4 c. maple sugar
2 to 4 T. pure maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1. Process tofu with oil and salt in a food processor. Add cocoa, maple sugar and syrup, and extracts. Process until smooth and creamy. This might take as long as 5 min. Add maple sugar or cocoa to taste. Spoon cream into a container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours to allow flavors to blend and cream to firm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultimate Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 c. Dutch process cocoa
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
1 T. vanilla extract

1. Put cocoa, sugar, and salt into the food processor and pulse to combine. With the motor running, pour boiling water through the feed tube. Stop the processor, scrape down the sides, and add the pure maple syrup and vanilla. Process again until smooth. The sauce will be thin; it thickens upon refrigeration. Pour the sauce into a storage jar and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 week (or proceed to Ultimate Chocolate Frosting recipe).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Utimate Chocolate Frosting

Need one recipe Ultimate Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. Ultimate Chocolate Sauce, warm or at room temperature
2 T. kuzu or 1/4 c. arrowroot powder (in spice section), dissolved in 3 T. water

1. Pour the chocolate sauce into a medium pot and over very low heat bring the sauce to just under a boil. Add dissolved kuzu or arrowroot to hot sauce, stirring rapidly. Cook kuzu 1 to 2 min. after the boil or arrowroot just to the boil. Lift the pot on and off the heat as a precaution against scorching when the frosting starts to bubble and thicken. Pour frosting into a container, cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

*It takes a LONG time for the mixture to boil, but it won't be thick enough if you don't wait.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I make the cake, I use the Chocolate Tofu Cream in between the layers and then mix the Chocolate Frosting and Tofu Cream together for the icing around the cake. I don't measure it for the icing; I just go by the taste and thickness that I want.

basteq
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
:eek:

I think it's out of my league :D

Artichoke47
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:20 PM
It's soooo worth it! :) Any significant other that will take it on?

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:07 AM
Help me out, here!
I can make a great Carrott cake, basically by substituting eggs with replacer, and adding a little soya milk, so why do my Chocolate cakes fall apart?
My son calls them 'Mum's Vegan Ash Cakes!'.
Help, he really wants a Chritmas Choc. Cake! :rolleyes:

Cloudy
Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
I've made a few recipes off here and they've never failed to impress. Here's a general guide to vegan bakery:

http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html

And here's a chocolate cake recipe:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=124

Hope this helps :)

Artichoke47
Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
This is the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my life:

Chocolate Cake to Live For

From Great Good Desserts Naturally by Fran Costigan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Oil two 9-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper

Ingredients:

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. unbleached white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/2 c. plus 2 T. Dutch process cocoa (a/k/a "unsweetened" cocoa)
1/2 c. maple sugar (or other organic dry sugar)
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. pure maple syrup
1 c. vanilla soymilk, ricemilk, or oatmilk (not Eighth Continent brand; any other brand
is fine)
1 c. water
2 tsp. balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl: flours, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa, and sugar. Stir with a wire whisk to mix.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients with a wire whisk until foamy: oil, maple syrup, vegetable-based milk (vanilla-flavored), water, vinegar, and extracts.

3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into pans, dividing evenly, and bake on center rack of the preheated oven for 25 to 30 min. or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched or a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

4. Cool cake layers in pans on wire cooling racks for 10 min. Use a dinner knife to release cakes from sides of pans. Turn layers out of pans directly onto racks. Cool completely. Wrap layers tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate before assembling cake.

Chocolate Tofu Cream:

Ingredients:

1 lb. firm tofu, blanched and pressed (meaning to boil/simmer it for 10 min. and then
place on paper toweling with a heavy object on top to drain; a good item to use is
an aseptic container, like a ricemilk container)
2 T. canola oil
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. Dutch process cocoa
1/4 c. maple sugar
2 to 4 T. pure maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1. Process tofu with oil and salt in a food processor. Add cocoa, maple sugar and syrup, and extracts. Process until smooth and creamy. This might take as long as 5 min. Add maple sugar or cocoa to taste. Spoon cream into a container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours to allow flavors to blend and cream to firm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultimate Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 c. Dutch process cocoa
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
1 T. vanilla extract

1. Put cocoa, sugar, and salt into the food processor and pulse to combine. With the motor running, pour boiling water through the feed tube. Stop the processor, scrape down the sides, and add the pure maple syrup and vanilla. Process again until smooth. The sauce will be thin; it thickens upon refrigeration. Pour the sauce into a storage jar and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 week (or proceed to Ultimate Chocolate Frosting recipe).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Utimate Chocolate Frosting

Need one recipe Ultimate Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. Ultimate Chocolate Sauce, warm or at room temperature
2 T. kuzu or 1/4 c. arrowroot powder (in spice section), dissolved in 3 T. water

1. Pour the chocolate sauce into a medium pot and over very low heat bring the sauce to just under a boil. Add dissolved kuzu or arrowroot to hot sauce, stirring rapidly. Cook kuzu 1 to 2 min. after the boil or arrowroot just to the boil. Lift the pot on and off the heat as a precaution against scorching when the frosting starts to bubble and thicken. Pour frosting into a container, cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

*It takes a LONG time for the mixture to boil, but it won't be thick enough if you don't wait.

When I make the cake, I use the Chocolate Tofu Cream in between the layers and then mix the Chocolate Frosting and Tofu Cream together for the icing around the cake. I don't measure it for the icing; I just go by the taste and thickness that I want.

cedarblue
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
check out my choccie cake recipe on the recipe thread somewhere!! :)

Green_Faery
Feb 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
What you need:

2 cups brown sugar
1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup soymilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

1) pre-heat oven to 350F
2)combine the brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, flour, and salt in a bowl
3) add the soy milk, vanilla and oil and beat for 2 minutes
4) stir in the boiling water
5) pour into an 8-inch square cake pan
6) bake 35-40 minutes
7) allow cake to cool. The cake is done when a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean

I've never actually tried this recipe (yet) so I don't know what it's like, but it sounds pretty good.

RockyRaccoon
Mar 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I've made a few recipes off here and they've never failed to impress. Here's a general guide to vegan bakery:

http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html

And here's a chocolate cake recipe:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=124

Hope this helps :)

This cake is delicious :D . I stayed up late Saturday night to make it and I'm so glad I did. It's really very simple and it tastes sublime. There's a link to a chocolate frosting recipe further down the page which I made as well which literally was 'the icing on the cake' :D

Lagamorph
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
I got this off of a friend, and have modified it to my liking over the years. I hope you will try it, its super easy and yummy. At parties, people seem to like it better than the 'regular' cake.

Vegan Chocolate Cake
3 cups organic flower
1 cup sugar, or sugar substitute
Drizzle of Maple Syrup (the not so secret ingredient)
7 tablespoons of organic fair trade cocoa
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of vinegar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 cups cold water

- mix dry ingredients really well
- add in wet ingredients
- stir until smooth
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a 9 inch pan
- enjoy with frosting

If you have any brownie recipes, please share, I have been looking all over, and have yet to find one. I miss brownies.

Tigerlily
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:11 AM
Flowers in cake?!!

Lagamorph
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:42 AM
sorry, my bad. Flour, not flowers!
(I had a hard time with copy and paste)

But if you want, you can decorate them with edible flowers. I have done that as well.

DianeVegan
Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the recipe! I am working on finding a great brownie recipe myself and will post if I come across a great one. I am sure that FoxyTina has one (it may even be in the archives but I'm too lazy to look right now :o ).

Do you like your brownies cake-like or chewy? With or without chocolate pieces? With or without nuts or icing?

Lagamorph
Nov 24th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Ok, at this point in the game, I am willing to have decent brownies any which way. I miss them soooo much. Chewy is always great! Nuts or non, it don't matter. Its still a lovely brownie.I will also keep my eye open.
I did come across a recipe that involved zucchinis. :confused: I am not willing to go down that route. Heres hoping.

terra
Nov 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Ok, at this point in the game, I am willing to have decent brownies any which way. I miss them soooo much. Chewy is always great! Nuts or non, it don't matter. Its still a lovely brownie.I will also keep my eye open.
I did come across a recipe that involved zucchinis. :confused: I am not willing to go down that route. Heres hoping.

Hi Lagamorph - I'm from ontario TOO!!! :)

It's nice to have you here!

I have a really good chocolate cake recipe if anyone wants it... it never fails me and it's so fudgy and yummy. It's also very simple to make... You can make it plain vanillla or put fruit in to make muffins..i use this recipe for pretty much any kind of cake, muffin or cupcake...

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
* 1 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

For the icing, I usually just mix margarine, icing sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder.....

gertvegan
Nov 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM
brownies. I miss them soooo much.Theres a whole Vegan Brownie thread here. (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3804) ;)

fragrantfree
Nov 26th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread, I'm drooling - you all should be punished :p

eclectic_one
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I guess some of the threads the old recipes were on are gone now, at least I can't find them:confused: I found a great vegan brownie recipe (the brownies are very moist): http://www.recipezaar.com/19282

LunaVanillaVega
Jan 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM
:) Bonnie's Chocolicious Cake ! :)

Vegan goodness mixed with fudgey frosting and a hint of mint. Easy to make !

Serves: 4 - 6
Prep time: 15 - 20 min
Baking Time: 20 min
Cooling Time: 15 - 20 min
Preheat Oven: 300 degrees F [150 degrees C]

Cake ingredients:
(* ingredient) = recommended

1 & 1/2 cups Flour (*whole wheat)
8 tbs sugar (*unprocessed) - for a sweeter cake, add additional 4 tbs
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup [approx. 2 small or 1 large] mashed banana (*very ripe)
1/2 cup soy milk
4 tbs oil (*grape seed or sunflower)
1 tbs cold water

You will also need:
margarine or non-stick cooking spray for greasing
9-inch glass or non-stick baking pan (*round)
medium sized mixing bowl
wire cooling rack
large serving plate

Baking Instructions:
1. Mix dry ingredients together
2. Add bananas and wet ingredients, mix well
3. Pour batter into greased pan
4. Bake in preheated oven, 20 minutes at 300 degrees F
[150 degrees C]
5. Remove from oven, cool on wire rack for 10 minutes
6. Turn cake onto serving plate, cool adadditional 5 - 10 minutes

Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar (*unprocessed)
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs flour (*whole wheat)
2 tbs powdered vanilla
1/4 cup [approx. 1 small] mashed banana
2 tbs soy milk
Topping:
2 - 4 tbs crushed walnuts
1/2 tsp finely crushed dried peppermint leaves

Frosting Instructions:
1. Mix dry ingredients (excluding topping ingredients)
2. Add banana and soy milk, blend until smooth and creamy
3. Spread all over the cake
4. Sprinkle walnuts & peppermint leaves ontop

:) For pics of this cake, visit http://photos.yahoo.com/lunavanillavegan
Click on the "Baking Bonanza!" folder

DianeVegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Nice picture! Thanks for the recipe - it looks great.

Rowan
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Great Good Desserts Naturally by Fran Costigan

Is this a good cookbook? I see that she's coming out with another one this month and I'm thinking of getting them both-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570671834/ref=wl_it_dp/103-6930607-7126219?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=3GIY07ZHRG3NU&coliid=I3BD6PTWHWR1OZ&v=glance&n=283155

DianeVegan
Jan 9th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Rowan, I actually had the pleasure of taking a cooking class with Fran. The desserts were wonderful, despite the fact that the group of us had never cooked together before (and I think some had never cooked before, period). Her Baklava was tremendous, as were the chocolate cakes and chocolate frostings. I have her first book and would probably get the second if I was a bigger dessert fan.

Artichoke47
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I love Great Good Desserts Naturally! I don't make desserts a lot, but all of the ones from that book came out great. :)

Rowan
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Thanks to both of you for the reviews! :)