PDA

View Full Version : Sea vegetables

Aradia
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I know sea veg is mega good for you and I'm trying to eat more, but I hate the taste ... it's so.... well, fishy!

I keep telling myself that it tastes of the ocean, but I still don't like it. I've got some sprinkles which I put in sandwiches and soups and all kinds of stuff.

Do you eat it? Do you like it?

chickpea_chica
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I really like the vegan fish-style steaks, I think they're made by Redwood foods. Though I tried some frozen ones, not sure who by, and they were gross. Maybe just try a few different products? Seems a bit hit and miss.

RebeccaDye
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I hate the taste seavegetables too.
I just put a tiny amount in almost everything I eat, about a teaspoonful.
That way, I can taste it very slightly in everything, and I stop noticing it :satisfied:

You could try making crispy seaweed or get seaweed tablets if you feel you're really missing out.

harpy
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I like adding the dried flakes to veg. stir fries. It tastes right somehow and you can see it's seaweed and not fish :D I also like the sushi rolls wrapped in nori but have never attempted to make them myself.

ellaminnowpea
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
The only way I can eat sea veggies are sushi rolled in nori. I just hate the taste otherwise!

fiveqs
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:57 AM
My whole family likes 'em. My family, when I was growing up, vacationed frequently along the northeast coast, so I really love the 'oceany' smell. WE also spent 4 years in Okinawa where they use lots and acquired a taste for it. Great in soups, vegan udon, tossed in Ramen noodles, sushi etc. If you cook it just right you can sort of french cut Kombu and get it to have the texture of carrot sticks. My oldest Daughter is constantly using mixes of chopped Nori Hijiki etc. with sesame seeds / Gomasio on stuff. The annoying thing, tho, is pretty much every time I have some sea vegetables in my lunch at work, my supervisor says something like "Oh, Wow, somebodies having fish" :-)
pq

Roxy
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
The only way I can eat sea veggies are sushi rolled in nori. I just hate the taste otherwise!

Same! Sometimes they put it in the miso soup, and I even have to pick it out of that :o

rantipole
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I love sea vegetables and should eat more of them. Of course, before I was a vegan, I loved sea food of all types. I grew up on the Jersey shore and eating lots of fish, clams, shrimp, etc. is just part of life here.

Miso soup with sea vegetables is divine!

Cheers,
rant

cedarblue
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
i only really see the nori sheets and nori flakes. it's mainly dried - maybe i'm not looking properly.