PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Cookware

macappleaddict
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hi There,
I am new on the forum and it took me some time to figure out how to post something. Any how, I think I finally did...
I am about to buy new pots and pans and I am just wondering if any one of you knows which material I should consider VEGAN-SAFE-FRIENDLY?
I was considering either cast iron or stainless steel.
Thanks for the feedback

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Avoid saucepans made of leather or bone.

Just kidding, what do you mean though? I've never heard of a non-vegan saucepan.

macappleaddict
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
It just that I know that TEFAL coated pans contain chemicals that get released during the heating process. So, thats is why I am just wondering if I should be alert for the aluminium, the stainless steel or the cast iron as well.

august
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM
I don't use cast iron because I don't like the heavy iron taste on my food. I only have stainless steel pans that I bought second hand and one copper pot. I use mostly glass for my baking dishes. I don't know to what extent they are vegan friendly or not. I would like to know.

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
It just that I know that TEFAL coated pans contain chemicals that get released during the heating process. So, thats is why I am just wondering if I should be alert for the aluminium, the stainless steel or the cats iron as well.

Oh ok, is there a source online with this info and any chance of a link? I can't imagine that there would be that much coming off the pans to make it a significant risk, at least not after the first few times it was used - that's just a guess though.

august
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
It just that I know that TEFAL coated pans contain chemicals that get released during the heating process. So, thats is why I am just wondering if I should be alert for the aluminium, the stainless steel or the cats iron as well.

I heard that years ago which is why I don't use teflon or coated pans. I heard that the chemicals released- especially when the pan is scratched- can cause cancer. Teflon in particular is a trademark of dupont which experiments on animals so that's not vegan.
I'm scared of aluminum because of the association with alzheimers. I wonder if there is any aluminum in the stainless steel pans I have. I hope not.

I have heard there can be lead in some glass baking ware.

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Been reading wikipedia's info on it;

While PTFE itself is chemically inert and non-toxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 500 °F (260 °C), and decompose above 660 °F (350 °C).[12] These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[12]

By comparison, cooking fats, oils, and butter will begin to scorch and smoke at about 392 °F (200 °C), and meat is usually fried between 400–450 °F (200–230 °C), but empty cookware can exceed this temperature if left unattended on a hot burner.

A 1959 study, (conducted before the Food and Drug Administration approved the material for use in food processing equipment) showed that the toxicity of fumes given off by the coated pan on dry heating was less than that of fumes given off by ordinary cooking oils.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

macappleaddict
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
wow, thank you risker for the quote. Still, just today on Dateline NBC there was this topic on living GREEN and living NOT-GREEN. Researchers tested the blood of the members of two families. One GREEN family and one I DONT CARE WHAT I PUT IN MY BODY family. Both families had traces of chemicals but the latter family had lots of the very dangerous kinds. To make a long story short, the latter family was also using Tefal pans and this was labeled by DATELINE researchers/scientist as dangerous and of course especially when scratched. So, I am a bit confused.
I was tempted to buy the stainless steel ones, but is 18/10 good enough steel. Its made in China, and we all know they use lesser quality products in order to make greater profits while jeopardizing the public health in the process.

horselesspaul
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Use cast iron with no coating, then you get trace iron amounts, which is pretty good for you. If you sauté dark green leafy veg in a cast pan then it's an even larger iron quotient. The pans do make everything taste a bit iron-y though.

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM

horselesspaul
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
You do a mean full stop..

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:51 AM
You do a mean full stop..

I'm ruthless, if you get one of my full stops you know you've been full stopped.

horselesspaul
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
You make a valid, if scary, point sir.

Tigerlily
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
macappleaddict, I like stainless steel. Cheaper than cast iron and they last a life time. My mom has pans that are 25 years old and still in perfect shape.

macappleaddict
Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Thank you guys. Now I know I am going in the right direction when it comes to safe cookware. It is kinda expensive to buy real good quality pots and pans and I (and I guess the rest of the world) don't like to waste my monies.
Cheers