PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Products that taste Freakishly similar...

Pages : [1] 2

claireyveg
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I just tried tartex vegan pate and I've only ever had real pate once when i was a kid (about 10-11) I remember enjoying the texture and taste until i read the label and found out what was in it, i was horrified. I have to say i was slightly disturbed when i tried the vegan option of this, it tasted exactly as i remembered. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

Meanwhile Fry's vegetarian schnitzles are a major request from my omni fiance he prefers them over chicken now. He thinks they taste exactly like veal, which kinda disturbed me when he first told me that (i've never eaten veal so wouldn't even try and guess what it tastes like) but if he prefers the taste of a cruelty-free schnitzle over the real thing then i feel i have somewhat suceeded. hehe

Anyways anyone else had any similar experiences?

RubyDuby
Apr 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
i once got a vege turkey sandwich at a cafeteria (ingredients listed) and couldn't eat it bc i was sure i grabbed the wrong deli slices. i've since found out they were the vege ones. i just couldnt believe how meat-like it was.

sometimes i can't eat sea veges or things with sea veges in it (like miso soup) bc it reminds me too much of fish.

Dalron
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
The Fry's stuff not only has a similar taste to meat but a somewhat similar texture. The burgers have a distinct sausage meat flavour.

This is not a bad thing in some ways. I just had meat-eating guests stay over for four days and fed them on Fry's amongst other things. They all liked it and said they will buy it to eat at home.

The whole Fry's range is supposed to be available in Franklins supermarkets from the 1st of May:

http://www.vegsoc.org.au/forum_messages.asp?Thread_ID=7243&Topic_ID=13&start=25#49

animaladvocate
Apr 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Smoked almonds taste like smoked salmon

chickpea_chica
Apr 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I thought that about Fry's and Tartex. I think it's a good argument against those who say "oh I'd miss the taste too much so I can't go veggie/vegan...".

maikeru
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
When my mam tried some of the Culdron marinate tofu pieces she said it tasted like roe.

Not having eaten rose myself I have no idea how true that is, but yet oddly that knowledge still made them taste less nice.

Michael.

Tigerlily
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm obsessed with Vegenaise, it tastes better THAN egg mayo!

sugarmouse
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mock Duck/Mock chicken type stuff freaks me out for this same reason. Even has the same braise markings onit and the jelly stuff......II just cant eat it even though I know its non animal!

cobweb
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
i am going off mock meats more and more now, i used to like veggie ribs for instance because they have a meaty texture, but now i'm turned off by that kind of stuff. Definitely wouldn't eat mock duck, sugarmouse, sounds awful.

i think a good vegan sponge cake made with egg replacer tastes just like the omnivore version, which sort of freaked me out the first time i used egg replacer.

emmapresley
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Mock Duck/Mock chicken type stuff freaks me out for this same reason. Even has the same braise markings onit and the jelly stuff......II just cant eat it even though I know its non animal!

agreed!!
i have gagged trying this...the plucked flesh bits they put on there are disturbing :hmm:

pavotrouge
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
alpro has a new spread that tastes 99% like Quark (a German cream-cheese style speciality) which is awesome. I used to live off the stuff when I was veggie. They even do a herbed version.

RubyDuby
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
completely agreed! also tofutti sour cream, and earth balance. there is no difference between earth balance and margarine, as far as i can tell.

squigaletta
Apr 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Linda mccartney sausages are scarily meaty, almost put me off, but they did taste good, im confused!

Tigerlily
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
alpro has a new spread that tastes 99% like Quark (a German cream-cheese style speciality) which is awesome. I used to live off the stuff when I was veggie. They even do a herbed version.

Mmm. I wanna try!

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have to say I disagree about Cauldron marinated tofu pieces tasting like cod roe and smoked almonds tasting like smoked salmon.

pat sommer
May 21st, 2008, 04:18 AM
Lucky me, I have a whole kilo log of gluten to play with!

It's from Thailand and was steamed in banana leaf so that as I peel down and slice it I see the green tinged layer that adds flavor.

My job is to find recipes for the new local veggie cafe whose owner passed it along to me. Yup, a bit like rubbery chicken but don't bother me none... it's the smell of meat that gags me.

Anyway, I stock up on realistic mock-meats for visiting omnis especially kids who then tell their parents 'that tastes better than our regular sausage-nugget-burger'

Sarah_
Dec 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM
I ate some sort of fake chicken stuff at a vegetarian asian restaurant and it was so real tasting and feeling that I sort of felt ill eating it and couldn't finish. It was odd because thinking about eating meat would never make me feel physically ill, but...
it just tasted TOO real, and then thinking about "what if this was actually some animal's flesh being chewed up in my mouth..."
It was disgusting.

Mr Flibble
Dec 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have to say I disagree about Cauldron marinated tofu pieces tasting like cod roe and smoked almonds tasting like smoked salmon.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

(no I'm not drunk)

!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read some wacky things on the internet, but that's just insane!

DreamIntoAction
Dec 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM

Yes! Vegenaise is LOVE :heart:!

I wish it wasn't so pricey, though.

I can only get it at the health food store, too, since the regular (big chain) grocery stores in my area don't carry it.

Sarah_
Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
^ I've just recently found out quite by experimental accident that vegenaise on top of a hot baked potato tastes exactly the same as sour cream. Even my omni bf thinks so.

Quantum Mechanic
Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
I don't mind if it tastes like meat, as long as I can smell the difference and know that it isn't actually meat. For instance, I have these vegan gardenburger chicken grill patties, that taste a lot like chicken, but it does smell slightly different, and I don't have to pick fat off like I would with real meat. I agree that it's the smell of meat that puts me off, and since it smells different, if it tastes very much like the same, then I don't mind (unless it was a flavor that I didn't like before going vegan too).

BlackCats
Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
^ I've just recently found out quite by experimental accident that vegenaise on top of a hot baked potato tastes exactly the same as sour cream. Even my omni bf thinks so.

(I'm going to have to test that today.:))

I ate a veggie burger the other day in a restaurant that tasted unlike other ones I have had but I kept asking my omni friends if they thought it could possibly be meat (:rolleyes:) and they just gave me weird looks and said it looked and tasted nothing like meat.

Gorilla
Dec 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
i find most products that seem meat-like to veg*ns are nothing like meat to omnis. i've eaten many products that were a bit too much like the animal-derived version but when asking omnis to try them they can't see the resemblance at all. i think your tastes change as you don't remember exactly what the 'real thing' is like.

most omnis can't tell the difference with Pure spread and possibly Plamil mayonnaise but that's about it...

Yagga and mock duck are quite meat-like to me but they'd never fool an omni. i don't think Linda McCartney sausages are meat-like at all, they taste very wheaty to me. and i've never eaten cod roe/smoked salmon but i doubt very much Cauldron tofu/smoked almonds taste similar :confused:

Quantum Mechanic
Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
When I was about 10 and omni I thought that raw mushrooms tasted just like chicken.

cobweb
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
this is totally off-topic but i just noticed you're 'Aspielicious', Quantum Mechanic. My son is an Aspie, too (though he doesn't like the term 'Aspie' so i'm not allowed to say it to him!).