PDA

View Full Version : The Gluten-Free Vegan

Kitteh
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Vegan-Delicious-Animal-Free-Recipes/dp/1600940323

I ordered this from Amazon the other week, due approx. May 21 (seems like aggges).

Anyone else got it? I'm really looking fwd to opening a cookbook where I don't have to change the flour in a recipe or don't have to try and veganise it, everything will be stuff I can make! :p

Astrid
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
That looks great! Vegan and glutenfree, yay! :D

xwitchymagicx
Apr 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Awesome, I want one. It can get annoying sometimes changing recipes too much. lol

According to one of the reviews though some have oats.

Kitteh
Apr 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Some ppl will eat oats or certified gluten free oats, I don't think I've ever seen them here tho.

My other 2 books (V'Con and My Sweet Vegan) have arrived so this should arrive today/this week I hope.

I also found this blog while I was googling for vegan, g-free pastry recipes: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Roxy
Apr 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
That sounds good. I like to eat gluten free sometimes too. Not because I'm allergic or anything, just because I like to change it up sometimes.

Our bakery at work sells loads of gluten free products - our company has it's own rice bakery. However, hardly anything is vegan :(

Kitteh
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Oh that's a shame, so hard to find products that are both g-free AND vegan!

Tigerlily
Apr 30th, 2008, 03:15 AM
There's these delicious looking cakes, pies, "fancy" breads, and muffins in the freezer section with a g-f and organic, so I hoping they were vegan. But they weren't.

I like to eat gluten-free a lot of times too since I can really bloated sometimes!

Kitteh
May 2nd, 2008, 01:33 AM
My copy arrived yesterday!! :) It looks great, only no pictures of any of the recipes :( but that's alright.

There's a recipe for pie crust, I am so excited, going to try that this weekend ;)

xwitchymagicx
May 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Oh, I want it, but there are non-instock! :mad:

I have gluten free oats. :D

Does it mention about having them gluten free in the book?

Kitteh
May 3rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yup, she says gluten free oats are now avail. and to look up a website to find them, I haven't seen them here tho, will have to ask around

Kitteh
May 27th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I tried making the Currant Scones, but I cannot find tapioca or sorghum flour here :( So I subbed them for quinoa and potato and they tasted like dry potato cakes. Will try them again if I can find the flours.

Kitteh
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Participating in VeganMoFo (http://theppk.com/blog/2007/11/02/vegan-mofo/) has made me realise I don't use my cookbooks often enough. So I leafed through the GFV and decided to try the the Fava Bean & Vegetable soup as I have been home sick and wanted something to make me feel better.

I subbed lentils for fava beans and added a bunch of veggies: corn, bok choy, brocc, green beans, carrot, potato, leek, mushrooms, celery and served it with brown rice.

It was really nice and it made so much I will be able to have some soup for 2-3 days.

Kitteh
Nov 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Yest'day I was craving hummus but I didn't buy any at the shops so I got out the GF Vegan and made the hummus, it was really quick and easy and satisfied my craving!