PDA

View Full Version : New Sainsbury's vegan hommous varieties

RossClement
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
"Moroccan style" and "Jalepeno" varieties now available. Both are labelled suitable for vegans. Not that much more expensive than the regular varieties. I bought the Moroccan style. It is a bit more spicy than normal, though I'd still put it in the "mild" bucket. It had some who chickpeas in a spicy sauce on top, which were nice. I'd definitely buy it again, though I'll try the Jalepeno next time.

Apologies if this info is already posted somewhere.

Mr Flibble
Apr 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
We've been having the moroccan from there for a couple of years.

animaladvocate
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Same here, lol.

Better late than never;)

RossClement
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Really? I haven't been very observant then.

Herbsman
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I make humungous quantities of hummous - generally enough to last 2 weeks (but I consume it in a week). Never buy stuff from shops, god knows how long it's been sitting there. Barely any effort involved. Anyone care to post the ingredients of the Sainsbury's stuff? I fancy trying something other than basic hummous and could copy the recipe.

alisont
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I really need to invest in a new small blender and start making my own, i eat that much of it!

Dad noticed a product recall form waitrose of their low fat one - typically id eaten most of it, said there was a salmonella scare:eek:

Ive seen several salmonella recalls for houmous - wonder whats in it to cause that scare?

chickpea_chica
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Oooooh jalepeno houmous! :eek: :D

harpy
Apr 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I've seen several salmonella recalls for houmous - wonder whats in it to cause that scare?

Well, two that got recalled this time were non-vegan and one had chicken in it :rolleyes:

Apparently the same firm makes virtually all hummus for virtually all supermarkets so once one goes they all seem to go, in case of cross-contamination perhaps?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/24/supermarkets.consumeraffairs

aubergine
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ive seen several salmonella recalls for houmous - wonder whats in it to cause that scare?

Apparently workers not washing their hands after using the toilet. Gross.

aubergine
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Oooooh jalepeno houmous! :eek: :D

It's good stuff. Could do with being a lot hotter though.

Herbsman
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I really need to invest in a new small blender and start making my own, i eat that much of it!You can get a decent hand blender for about £5. I have this Sabichi one

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0228906/0228906_m.jpg

It's perfectly adequate for hummous production, and with a bit of extra effort and patience can blend soaked but uncooked chickpeas into a smooth paste for falafel.

Obviously if you're planning to make falafel regularly you'd be better off with a proper food processor like this:

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/images_db/0000000621_FP108_2[product_details_full].jpg

edit:

I forgot to add, it helps to have a few plastic tubs to store the hummous in the fridge. I have a few round 0.6 litre ones especially for hummous :).

Generally put a big blob of hummous in a bowl, drizzle extra virgin olive oil around the outside, sprinkle the hummous with sesame seeds and top with finely chopped parsley. Scoop up with hot pitta bread... mmmmm

Janet
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I tried to do hummous at home for my little girl who was used to shop bought and had to add three teaspoons of salt to get a similar taste. Saying that we still buy it!

Herbsman
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:27 AM
try using more garlic rather than salt. you should only need a pinch of salt for the amount you get in shops.

or perhaps a bit more tahini and/or olive oil.

if you need to thin it out with water, always use the water that the chickpeas were cooked in. the flavour is CRUCIAL!!!

and... never use tinned chickpeas unless its an emergency (i.e. you're dying of malnutrition)

Janet
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Cheers, I'll try again

Fungus
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I tried making some yesterday .. just looked at a packet of hummus and put in about the right quantities .. turned out pretty good :) .. IIRC I put in chickpeas, tahini, white wine vinegar, loads of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic ..
The jug style blender we have didnt really blend too well though, it turned out not quite viscous enough as loads of liquid had to be put in to get it to blend.

Risker
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
and... never use tinned chickpeas unless its an emergency (i.e. you're dying of malnutrition)

Tinned chickpeas are great! Planning on making humous 24 hours in advance so I can soak them really isn't my bag.

I'd like to know the ingredients so I can try and make it too.

Orange-powered
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I've made my own houmous with tinned chickpeas! it was really nice actually - :thumbsup: but it took a lot of practice to get it to be good, I add lots of lemon and garlic mmm. I too dont have much time or inclination to soak chickpeas unfortunately - im sure they'd be good if I did.

maikeru
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I once made my own hummus. It was horrible.

I have never made hummus since.

Michael.

Herbsman
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
The jug style blender we have didnt really blend too well though, it turned out not quite viscous enough as loads of liquid had to be put in to get it to blend.I had a jug blender once. I bought it specifically for making hummous. Never again! I had the same problem as you - it was terrible.

Tinned chickpeas are great! Planning on making humous 24 hours in advance so I can soak them really isn't my bag.

I'd like to know the ingredients so I can try and make it too.

I've made my own houmous with tinned chickpeas! it was really nice actually - :thumbsup: but it took a lot of practice to get it to be good, I add lots of lemon and garlic mmm. I too dont have much time or inclination to soak chickpeas unfortunately - im sure they'd be good if I did.

You really don't need to plan anything and it doesn't take much of your time. Soaking them literally takes about 1 minute - you just pour water over them before you go to bed, and leave them until the next day.

They cook in under an hour, during which you can just leave them and just go off and do something else while you're waiting.

Then once you've actually made the hummous, you can keep it for about 5 days in the fridge (or longer, depending on how cold your fridge is) and if you have made a large quantity like I do, you can store some in the freezer. So even if you eat hummous every day, you only need to make it once a week, or less if you freeze some.

I have tried it with tinned chickpeas and the taste/texture just isn't anywhere near as good :(

cedarblue
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
i tried substituting oil for water to blend once - vile - watery and no taste.