PDA

View Full Version : Cycling?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Fungus
May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Just wondering if theres many other vegan cyclists around on the forum .. I've been getting into it more recently with summer coming about , travel to school every day on my bike ( 1-2 miles each way , but once every week I'm at my dad's house so its 7 miles each way) , on Saturday I did a 50 mile ride (was going to do 100 but had about 15mph headwind and going uphill most of the way so ..) , and have done about 65 miles in one day before .. Just got a normalish hybrid road bike with nice chunky alloy frames .. got panniers to hold my stuff too ..
Anyone else cycle regularly?

RedWellies
May 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I can't ride a bike! Here's a thread (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7511&highlight=cycling+bike+riding) that might interest you.

seitan
May 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
i used to ride mountain bikes alot, race them too, first cross country racing then i switched to downhill.
now ive taken the easier option (tho, not really that much easier!) as i ride dirt bikes.

Herbsman
May 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
cycle courier here.

I do 30-60 miles in a day depending on demand, 5 days a week. I'd say 200 mile a week on average. As long as I eat and drink properly and don't push myself too hard, I actually feel more energetic at the weekends. Must be the endorphins and the increased blood flow and stuff.

Can't hold my drink though

Stu
May 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
I cycle for about an hour and twenty minutes per day, on average. It literally halves my travelling time to/from work, plus I get a buzz out of going at ridiculous speeds with funky grooves in the earphones.

ellaminnowpea
May 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm starting to get back into cycling now that the snow and rain are gone! I usually just go for leisure, but I think I have some kind of hybrid bike...idk lol.

Fungus
May 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
What sort of size tyres have you got? Mine are an inch wide I think - 100psi .. nice and very low rolling resistance but can still go over bumps :)

ellaminnowpea
May 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Uh does it say on the bike or the tire?
Honestly, I just went into the shop and said that I need something for leisure on streets (commute) but possibly some off-road (fun!). Nothing like in the woods or heavy terrain. I think mine are sort of thin, at least in comparison to mountain bike tires.

Stu
May 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, sounds like a hybrid. I used to have a hybrid. You can't really go wrong with one of those bad boys.

aubergine
May 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I used to ride for hours every day and had nice stocky legs. Sadly some thieving scum decided they would relieve me of my pride and joy and I haven't been able to afford to replace it since.

I used to do a lot of downhill riding and loved fast riding on gravel. I'm still fairly fit and can maintain a good road speed for a good hour. I need to get my own bike again :(

Marrers
May 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I used to ride a lot in my teens (cheap and easy transport!) but haven't for a long while. I've been planning to get a new bike for ages but just haven't got round to it yet - overwhelmed by too much choice.
Don't much like the idea of getting even stockier legs than I have now though! :p

Maisiepaisie
May 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
I would cycle more but the seat hurts my bum :o Does anyone else have this problem? I wish they would make wider seats for bikes. They need to be big, soft and comfy :D

Anouk
May 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
there are special pants that reduce the pain :D otherwise you just have to get used to it ;).

Herbsman
May 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
I would cycle more but the seat hurts my bum :o Does anyone else have this problem? I wish they would make wider seats for bikes. They need to be big, soft and comfy :D

Contrary to popular misconceptions, big seats aren't actually the answer to discomfort in that area.

Try Specialized Body Geometry saddles in combination with padded shorts.

aubergine
May 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM

You can get some fantastic women's bicycle seats but unfortunately you're expected to buy them as well as the token one you get with the bike. Not really very fair in my opinion.

Herbsman
May 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
You can get some fantastic women's bicycle seats but unfortunately you're expected to buy them as well as the token one you get with the bike. Not really very fair in my opinion.

Part of the reason a complete bike is the price that it is, is because all of the parts have been bought in bulk, and because it has a certain level of parts on it. They are not custom bikes, they are mass-produced identikit bikes, therefore you cannot expect them to come with a 'fantastic' saddle on them.

Plus, everyone has a different sized arse, so, even if you bought the 'best' women's saddle, it might be super comfortable for one woman but hellishly uncomfortable for another.

The saddle that comes on a complete bike is there simply to get you out of the shop - they're not gonna sell a complete bike with no saddle and then measure you up so that they can choose one that fits you perfectly. In a perfect world maybe, but not in this one.

If you want a saddle that fits you perfectly then you either have to buy a new one to replace the one that came with your bike, or choose one when you build your bike yourself. That's just the way it is.

Some women's specific bikes (Trek for example) come with decent saddles that are more suited to women's bodies, but like I say - everyone's body has a different shape and size.

Fungus
May 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Also, adjusting the saddle to the right height makes a lot of difference, both to how easy it is to ride and to the soreness levels.

aubergine
May 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Part of the reason a complete bike is the price that it is, is because all of the parts have been bought in bulk, and because it has a certain level of parts on it. They are not custom bikes, they are mass-produced identikit bikes, therefore you cannot expect them to come with a 'fantastic' saddle on them.

Plus, everyone has a different sized arse, so, even if you bought the 'best' women's saddle, it might be super comfortable for one woman but hellishly uncomfortable for another.

The saddle that comes on a complete bike is there simply to get you out of the shop - they're not gonna sell a complete bike with no saddle and then measure you up so that they can choose one that fits you perfectly. In a perfect world maybe, but not in this one.

If you want a saddle that fits you perfectly then you either have to buy a new one to replace the one that came with your bike, or choose one when you build your bike yourself. That's just the way it is.

Some women's specific bikes (Trek for example) come with decent saddles that are more suited to women's bodies, but like I say - everyone's body has a different shape and size.

I understand on cheap bikes, but if one spends £500+ on a men's bike you get a premium mens saddle. The same is not the case for a a £500+ women's bike and yet comparable premium women's saddles exist at a similar price point.

Herbsman
May 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I spent £550 on my bike and didn't get anything near a premium saddle.

It would help if you posted some examples for comparison...

TheAlterEgo
May 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
I've been thinking about getting a bike :) I'm so lazy and I need to get out more. My boyfriend recently got a new bike so I'm thinking that I will too once I'm healed so we can go on little bike rides together in the summer :).

seitan
May 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
What sort of size tyres have you got? Mine are an inch wide I think - 100psi .. nice and very low rolling resistance but can still go over bumps :)

100psi?????? jeezus fuckmonkeys!!!!

seitan
May 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I used to ride for hours every day and had nice stocky legs. Sadly some thieving scum decided they would relieve me of my pride and joy and I haven't been able to afford to replace it since.

I used to do a lot of downhill riding and loved fast riding on gravel. I'm still fairly fit and can maintain a good road speed for a good hour. I need to get my own bike again :(

where did you ride downhill in london???

Herbsman
May 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
100psi?????? jeezus fuckmonkeys!!!!
That's not particularly high. Road tyres are generally recommended to be at around 120 (depending on the tyre and rim) - anything between 90 and 120 is the norm.

seitan
May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM

well, they did make big seats, and may still do so. i have a big soft seat on my downhill bike. the seat was often reffered to as the couch by many of my mtb friends :)
i used to ride loads, then got in to dirt bikes. coupel years back i thought id go out on my hardtail, in to some local woods. it killed my butt! so, i got a kona "free-ride" bike whihc has rear suspension, but it just has a short travel whihc is ideal, as very little power is lost but the ass sting gets taken out ;)

fresquinho
May 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
I have a MTB.. tramway tracks (?) are really a problem here in Lisboa because thin tyres get stuck there which can be a serious problem, plus it allows me to do off-road which I enjoy as well.
No-one has brought up the helmet debate yet? My stance is that they're unnecessary; I don't use any. I do own one though because it gives me more confidence for downhilling.