PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Mashmallows

EnviroNut
May 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Helloooo....

Okay here is the problem, I want to make homemade vegan marshmallows so I can, well, have them whenever I want and not have to order them! So I keep trying different recipes,some already vegan and some my own veganized versions, but alas no marshmallows have yet to be created. I have though, created a lot of weird vegan marsmallow creme lol.

Has ANYONE had any success trying to make homemade vegan marshmallows and if so pleaaaaase share the recipe and exactly what you did! I'd be forever grateful!! Thanks! :)

vava
May 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
wouldn't we all love to make vegan marshmallows!:D

Cherry
May 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
No, no success here either. What's your best recipe for vegan marshmallow creme, Environut?

Mr Flibble
May 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I tried several different recipes a few years ago with different gelling agents. As essentially non vegan mashmallows are vegan appart from the gelling agent it's quite easy to get the flavour right. If the consistancy isn't fully set up properly (i.e. it's gelatinous but still liquid) then you've basically got marshmallow creme/melted marshmallow. I ultimately failed at a perfect recreation and didn't record any of my attempts.

Cherry
May 5th, 2008, 12:20 AM
That's why I didn't ask you ;)

Kitteh
May 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
You can order a marshmallow making kit here http://angelfood.co.nz/index.htm

I have one in my cupboard, am yet to try it, but I have heard good things!

http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/heaven-sent/

http://theurbanhousewife.blogspot.com/2008/03/southern-fried-tofu-make-your-own.html

vava
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I have a recipe in the sarah kramer book la dolce vegan for marshmallows but it calls for vegan gelatine that you can add cold water to - anyone know where I can get some - I have tried the usual places to no avail. In some of her recipes she says vegan gelatine or agar but not in this one and she says you must follow the instructions to the letter to get it right. :confused:

Marrers
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sarah Kramer has her own website (http://govegan.net) and forum (http://p100.ezboard.com/bgoveganforum) vava. She sometimes posts there herself but I'm sure some of the members there will be able to advise.

Pob
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Growing some marsh mallow plants might be the way forwards. Seeds seem easy enough to get hold of. The boiled extract is supposed to make a good egg white substitute too.

vava
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Americans eat about 90 million pounds of marshmallows a year:eek:

thanks for that Marrers - searched the forum but no luck

Pob may take a look at that idea but dont know how it would work as the mucus you need comes from the root:confused:

Marrers
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
thanks for that Marrers - searched the forum but no luck
Why not start a thread and ask? :smile:

Pob
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Pob may take a look at that idea but dont know how it would work as the mucus you need comes from the root:confused:I would reckon on growing it from seed, until it flowers, seeds and dies back. Dig up the root, grate it and boil it. Either collect the seeds or leave half the root in so you can grow more next year.

vava
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
anyone tried the kit from the vegan store yet - I have one to try at the weekend and a meringue cookie kit as well....:D

bryzee86
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I tried it - ordered direct from Angel food - and it was...okay. I think my ingredients (the bit with the agar in) wa at the wrong temp when I put it in. They tasted great, but were a little soft for my liking.

EnviroNut
Oct 16th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I haven't tried either yet but the next order online with include the marshmallow and meringue packs!! I can't wait! Too soft? Marshmallows can be too soft bryzee? Sticky or just soft?

Kitteh
Oct 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I am still yet to try it. I ordered it months ago so I chould check the use by date I might have to order another kit.

vava
Dec 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I made the packet angel foods ones - taste is pretty much spot on. Aesthetically not very good as my grandson and I are untidy cutters. He can be forgiven he is only 4!

The texture is a bit weird. You need to imagine 'normal' marshmallows mixed with tofu. Indeed mine had the look and texture of tofu really. You know how tofu can sort of break off in little wedges - like that. You can put them in your mouth and completely squash them between your tongue and the roof of your mouth which you cant do with the rubber variety. Not sure whether I would buy them again - at the mo probably not. Mind you that is easy to say when masses of them are lurking in the fridge.

Washing up was a bit weird as well - normally with sugar based foods you soak the saucepan and it all just floats off as if it was never there. This stuff - although soaked in anticipation of disolving - peeled off the pan like a peel off face mask. Heh!