PDA

View Full Version : Bread and Butter Pudding

flying plum
May 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Has anyone ever made one? i've found a few recipes online, but not sure how they'd turn out.

i'd rather avoid using egg replacers, as in, ener-g or whatever. i have flax, but i imagine it would make the pudding taste weird?

amanda

Cherry
May 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I made one once, and it wasn't great, so don't use my recipe! I never liked the sound of bread and butter pudding anyway and I don't think I'd ever eaten it, so didn't really know what I was trying to achieve.

flying plum
May 5th, 2008, 02:03 PM
heh heh, i saw your recipe cherry, but it had egg replacer in. it's not that i have anything against egg replacers, i just can't be bothered to go and find some...would like to do it with what i have in the house today :D yay for lazy cooking!

i found one recipe that makes it with just custard...sounds plausible, though not quite the same. i was thinking of using some besan or something to get that gooeyness...

amanda

Cherry
May 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Hehe. Oh yeh, it MUST be an old recipe, I haven't experimented with egg replacer for years. I DO have a lot against egg replacer, especially in cake. I guess it's OK in pancakes and things like that but not really necessary.

What's Besan?

vava
May 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
besan = chick pea flour

flying plum
May 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
i was also thinking maybe silken tofu or soy yoghurt. but i'm not very good at inventing...i just wanted to make it tonight to make up for th efact i've had to sit inside all day while it's been beautiful learning Geneva Convention definitions of combatants and non-combatants. boooooo!

amanda

flying plum
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
ok. for anyone who is curious, i attempted this today by veganising a random internet recipe. have had a small spoonful, and it seems to taste ok. i might try using silken tofu next time, instead of flax, see how that turns out.

8 slices of bread, buttered on one side
Replacer for 3 eggs (i used flax, and only used for two eggs, but i think on reflection it might be improved with one more)
3/4 pint of soya milk
45g sugar
half tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg
pinch of cloves

1. butter the sides of a ovenproof dish, i think rectangular or square ones look the nicest.

2. cut the bread into triangles and layer them in two or three layers depending onthe shape of your dish, butter-side up

3. whisk together your egg replacer, milk, sugar and spices

4. pour over the bread and press it down with your hands. leave to soak for half an hour or so

5. put a few blobs of marge on the top of the bread and pop in a pre-heated oven at 200*C for half an hour

6. serve with tasty custard :)

you can also add sultanas to the bread before you put in the milk mixture, but i didn't have any to hand.

amanda

puffin
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I made one many years ago and i wouldnt make it again. Bread all kind of soggy didnt light me up, but maybe that was my cooking :o

flying plum
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
have just sampled. it tasted ok - the flax was still a bit gelatinous, rather than the eggy-type thing you get with real eggs. i suspect tofu might actually work better, so next time, i'll try that. the flax did give it a nice taste though, and was pronounced by omni-boyfriend to be 'alright, actually' ;)

amanda

harpy
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sounds interesting.

ISTR bread pudding (as opposed to bread-and-butter pudding) is easy to veganise - think it just involves substituting soy milk and margarine for their equivalents.

Mmm, bread pudding! Must make one, I'd forgotten about it.

mjnewbould
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
_what is bread pudding - sorry to be ignorant - I've not come across it

harpy
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Essentially I'd say bread pudding is stale bread, soaked to form a kind of modelling clay ;) , flavoured with sugar, spices and fruit and then "fired" in the oven. It's delicious, my grandma used to make it (and IIRC eventually adapted her own recipe to be vegan for me!). Her method didn't involve eggs anyway I don't think, though some do.

I see there are both traditional and vegan recipes for it on the web.

flying plum
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
omg, it is even better cold :D next weekend, i'm going to attempt a chocoate one. that was a favourite of mine when i was a kid that my mum used to make...

amanda

jonny_mears
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:32 PM
the stuff you pour over the bread and butter is a kind of custard intit? you could try using alpro custard - maybe thinned out with some soya milk and flavoured with cinnamon or something? also, i remember B&B pudding was really nice with apricot jam spread on the bread before pouring the custardy stuff over :)

flying plum
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
yeah, it is effectively custard. one recipe i found did just suggest making bird's custard, but i don't think that would go 'eggy' enough. i still have some bread left, so i might try it again tomorrow with tofu and see how that works out :)

so excited - i've wanted b+b pudding for AGES! aaaaah, school dinner puddings make me haaaaaappy.

amanda