PDA

View Full Version : Camping place wanted

Hera
May 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Camping place wanted in The Peak this saturday ; any ideas?

Hemlock
May 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Try rough camping, we're going rough camping this weekend. It's getting ever more popular, I noticed a few tents put up in local beauty spots recently especially next to the river. National Trust land is best as you don't get woken up by irrate farmers demanding that you get orf their land:)

bryzee86
May 14th, 2008, 02:56 AM
are you allowed to just pitch up like that?

Corum
May 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM

That's why it's called Rough Camping... but yes, you are 'allowed' as long as you are not camping on some farmer's land - obviously, leave the place as you found it.

Risker
May 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Here's a good page on it - http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/wildcamping2.php

I wanted to do some wild camping myself a while back but had no idea where to start looking for suitable places.

Stu
May 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Good stuff. Was one of those replies made by you, Riskypops?

When I was at Uni, me and some chums decided on a whim, to go camping in the Lake District. This was about 4pm, so we chucked some gear in a couple of cars and headed off (we lived in the North East).

We got there as it was getting dark, and someone had the wise idea of going to the pub. Several hours later, it was midnight, we were all really drunk and it was pitch black. We just tried to find some grass, and somehow managed to get our tents more-or-less erect.

We woke up the next morning, poked our heads out of the tent, and found ourselves in someone's garden. Oops.

Anyway, I would totally be up for this wild camping caper. Anyone wanna join me? Say Dartmoor, August?

horselesspaul
May 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
National Trust land is best as you don't get woken up by irrate farmers demanding that you get orf their land:)
This was good..
http://tash.gn.apc.org/C0315_08.jpg

Hemlock
May 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM

We don't care if it's allowed or not - much the same as our attitude to life in general:D

Risker
May 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Good stuff. Was one of those replies made by you, Riskypops?

Nah, not me guv.

maikeru
May 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
For some bizarre reason I bought a [probably not good enough to actually use because it was so] cheap tent on impulse last year and so decided that I probably should go and camp wild somewhere. That despite never having been camping before, though wanting to. Luckily being unfit and what not, with having no easy access to the countryside I never got around to wandering off into the wilderness alone.

Besides my sleeping bag is over twenty years old and full of tears.

(How weird, that is the first time I have noticed that 'tear' and 'tear' are homograms.)

Michael.

Mr Flibble
May 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cherry and I did quite a bit of camping a couple of summers ago, but no where in the peak district.

Camping is good if:
a) You get as much sleep as you would like to and it isn't interrupted by sociopathic adults at night or screaming children at 6am.
b) It isn't raining, so you can pack the tent away at the end without having to then unpack it all when you get home and dry it out.

Hemlock
May 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Or c) As long as you don't accidentally camp next to someone playing rave music all night - the same 4 songs on a loop arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

horselesspaul
May 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
the same 4 songs on a loop arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Ouch.

Cherry
May 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Just watch out for the tent peg fairy.

(Red Wellies will know what I mean!)

Mr Flibble
May 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
What ever do you mean? I'm sure that Corum and Hemlock would quite approve of the tent peg fairy

RedWellies
May 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Haha, yes they probably would!!

I don't want to put a dampener on all the fun but as a land owner, it isn't nice to have people camp on your land just because they feel like it. I wouldn't pitch a tent in someone's garden so why do it on other private property? (I'm not having a go at you Hemlock, just giving another perspective). I'm sure there must be areas of common land/open to all where anyone who wishes to can camp.

Not all land owners are grumpy buggers, you could always ask if you can pitch a tent on their land.

horselesspaul
May 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Fwiw:
There are no areas of 'common land' in England any more, RedWellies. They all belong to local authorities who will evict asap as a matter of course. This can now be done without a court order and can easily lead to charges of criminal trespass if an argument ensues for any reason.
Shame.

veganlinda
May 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Sad ... humans are sooo materialistic ... why we have to own land and not just be custodians ....

horselesspaul
May 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
why we have to own land and not just be custodians ....
In the case of the loss of real 'Common Land':
Control (to make nomadism impossible), compensation culture and fear, amongst others...

maikeru
May 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't pitch a tent in someone's garden so why do it on other private property?

To be fair, there is a vast difference between someone's back garden and the side of a hill several miles from the nearest sheep, let along another human.

Michael.

RedWellies
May 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I take your point, Michael, but not everyone is as considerate as the people on here. I have had camp fires lit in my hay fields thus destroying parts of the grass, had glass bottles, beer cans, used condoms, large sticks, frizbees, pizza boxes all left on my land. I have to clear the mess up several times a week. The land costs money to maintain and time to pick up the rubbish. That's why I can see the other point of view.

cobweb
May 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
^ i was thinking the same, RW, to be honest. It does depend a bit on where the land is, etc, but i have seen so many people who camp and then leave behind a trail of destruction that i couldn't trust them to be 'custodians' of anything.

i have narrowly avoided human crap left by campers and one of my dogs cut her foot to pieces once on hidden bits of glass. i totally understand that not everyone is so thoughtless but there are lots of good campsites in the U.K.