PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Day Lunch

treehugga
May 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hi there.
My husband and kids want to cook mum and I a mothers day lunch. Mum is not a vegan but will obviously have to have vegan food at our home and she is ok with that.
Any ideas for a 3 course yummy lunch that is husband/kid friendly?
I've been scouting around here and have some ideas, but wondered if others would be doing this and what recipes they might be considering.
Not really interested in roast or curry- as we eat these all the time.
Something creative and a little out of the ordinary, but not too d/t.
So far I'm considering:
parsnip & apple soup
pumpkin, spinach, pinenut & sun dried tomato tart (soy bechamel as filling with mustard, nutritional yeast & soy parmasan) & salad.
caramel & macadamia tarts for dessert.
But I'm still not sold on the above idea

treehugga
May 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Any ideas anyone? It's tomorrow :eek:

Risker
May 10th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Watercress soup with croutons

Is your mum ok with soy and vegan alternatives to non-vegan products? If you're not sure I'd avoid the soy and nutritional yeast.

How about puff pastry topped with roasted vegetables?

treehugga
May 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Mum's not to keen of soy alternatives.

I like the idea of roast veg on puff pastry- we could roast meditaranian veggies as they don't take long.

The vegan bechamel is wonderful. I use it all the time on cauliflower, in tarts etc.

ellaminnowpea
May 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Maybe have a bunch of side dishes? Like mediterranean stuff - hummus + pita, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc to dip in hummus or babaganoush. Maybe some kind of root veggie roasted in the oven? And then add a nutroast for the main part?

Errr... I suck at meal prep.

treehugga
May 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Good ideas Ella.
I'm trying to stay clear from the more traditional roast meal as we usually have that every sunday with a nutroast.
I like the dip ideas.

Tigerlily
May 10th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hummus and baked pita
Vegetarian stuffed grapes leaves/dolmas or stuffed peppers/baby eggplants if you cannot find any grape leaves on such short notice
Salad with a homemade lemon-olive oil dressing and some toasted sesame seeds!

Dessert? Fresh fruit, simple fruit pie, or a simple chocolate cake.

(ps: that's what I'm having, lol!)

treehugga
May 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
yum. That sounds so good I think I'll have that today.

Tigerlily
May 10th, 2008, 03:22 AM
And it's all very easy. :) Just Google for some recipes if you don't know any!

treehugga
May 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Normally I would google, but can only sit here for about 5 - 10 mins at a time (just had hernia operation & have mesh in my gut - ouch!) So thought this would be quicker if I'm on here anyway and you people are so clever at organising great meals.

ellaminnowpea
May 10th, 2008, 05:19 PM
mediterranean/ arabic is the best food ever! and i *think* most people like it! hope the meal goes well for you, treehugga.

ps. love the avatar, im thinking you're a hot hippy chick now :)

treehugga
May 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks Ella.
Yes, I felt it time my avatar had a change as my hair has grown. I am a bit of a hippy. Of course the avatar doesn't do me justice - I am far better looking :bandanna::rolleyes:;)

The meal was good. We had:dips, the roasted veg in tartlets with a mixed salad & caramel, macadamia tarts. I should have gone with the fresh fruit suggestion - the tarts made me feel sick and bloated (not used to lots of sweets). Oh well - you live and learn!:)