PDA

View Full Version : Matzoh Ball Soup disaster

dreamqueen
May 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I made the Matzoh Ball Soup from Vegan with a Vengeance tonight...well, I tried to make it. Now I'm waiting for a pizza to be delivered.

The matzoh balls turned to complete mush while cooking; they were just supposed to get bigger.

Has anyone made this recipe? Any idea what might have gone wrong?:(

Mahk
May 12th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I don't know that recipe. Does it use EN-R-G egg substitute perhaps as a binder?

I don't know the answer but thought to add that I used to have a similar problem when I added silken style tofu cubes to my hot and sour soup. I think the problem was that the friction of the boiling/ simmering soup ingredients would disintegrate them as if they were being sand blasted. I now only add them when the soup is at low heat and there is no motion to the liquid [I]at all. It seems to work.

I hope the pizza was good though.

cedarblue
May 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
i wonder if putting the balls in the freezer for 1/2 - 1hr would help then like mahk said, simmer almost with no liquid movement?

dreamqueen
May 13th, 2008, 01:24 AM
The recipe didn't call for powdered egg replacer, no. It was just matzoh meal, salt, pepper, silken tofu, oil, shredded carrot and soup stock. Then I mashed it all together and stuck it in the fridge for a long time like it said too. *Sigh*

The pizza was just fine but the first one they brought us was mistakenly covered in cheese and so we waited forever for them to send a second one.

bryzee86
May 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I really wasn't your day, that, was it dreamqueen?

dreamqueen
May 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I really wasn't your day, that, was it dreamqueen?

Haha, no, not at all.:lol:

flying plum
May 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
if it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me when i tried to make the vwav gnocchi. mushi potato....yum :(

amanda

cobweb
May 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
i just can't use recipes atall!

auntierozzi
May 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Just to report that I have also suffered a similar situ. with gnoccis and the next time I improved it by leaving them in for a much shorter time. Might that help with your recipe? I haven't tried the recipe your talking about because I was afraid of what happened to you happening to me!
Hope your next recipe turns out better.

dreamqueen
May 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM
if it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me when i tried to make the vwav gnocchi. mushi potato....yum :(

amanda

That's too bad - I made that gnocchi too and it was a complete success, absolutely perfect and delicious.

I'm going to check out other matzoh ball soup recipes and see if I can come up with a different one or my own.

I made hot and sour ginger soup last night and it was perfect so I haven't completely lost my cooking skills!

Roxy
May 16th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your Matzoh Ball Soup. I've rarely had success when cooking with silken tofu. It's like it makes everything to watery.

Glad your other soup turned out well though :)

dreamqueen
May 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your Matzoh Ball Soup. I've rarely had success when cooking with silken tofu. It's like it makes everything to watery.

Glad your other soup turned out well though :)

I've had a lot of luck using silken tofu in sauces but have never tried it in something that was supposed to remain solid. Ah well. I'll just avoid that recipe and others like it from now on. Le sigh.