PDA

View Full Version : vegan red food colouring

treehugga
May 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy vegan red food colouring that isn't cochineal? I need it for a cake recipe.

sandra
May 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi treehugga...........Supercook do a little bottle of red food colouring which is suitable for vegetarians so it's probably safe for vegans too. I don't know if you can get their products where you are but you could always email them and just make sure it's vegan.
SuperCook Red Food Colouring

http://www.supercook.co.uk/files/cd/uploads/Red-Colouring.jpg
SuperCook Food Colourings have been a trusted favourite in home bakers' kitchens for many years.
Red Food Colouring can be used to achieve reds and pinks in cake, icing and dessert recipes. It gives a pillar box type red or pink rather than a crimson red.
Use sparingly, a drop at a time until you achieve the colour you want. When colouring Ready to Roll Icing add just a few drops and knead until you have a consistent colour with no streaks.
Available in a 38ml bottle.

! Allergy Advice
No allergens for this product
Due to ingredient changes, please always check allergen information on the packaging
Other Advice
Suitable for Vegetarians

Last Updated: 30/04/07

Sluggie
May 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
You can make your own from beetroot when it's in season.

Maisiepaisie
May 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I like that idea Sluggie but would it add a beetroot taste?

Sluggie
May 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I don't think so. I've seen it used for colouring icing, so I would guess it doesn't retain the bitterness of the vegetable.

Roxy
May 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Would beet juice go a bit purpley though?

What about pomegranate?

vava
May 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think so. I've seen it used for colouring icing, so I would guess it doesn't retain the bitterness of the vegetable.

I always think of beets as sweet!:lol:

Sluggie
May 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Not everyone can taste the bitterness in beetroot - it's a genetic thing, like being able to smell freesias. I think the colour comes out as a pinky-red.

Mahk
May 19th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I believe depending on the dish, annatto and turmeric can also be used as all natural red coloring. What is it you are coloring, the cake or its icing?

Pomegranate juice, too?

edit: I see Roxy said that already.

Kitteh
May 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I *think* Queen brand Red Pillar Box colouring is suitable for vegans, none of the numbers are on a list I have and the only one that contains glycerin is the black colouring and I rang them, it's from palm oil.

But I also agree w/ trying beetroot, next time I want coloured icing I'm planning on spinach for green, & beet for red

treehugga
May 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies and very helpful suggestions.:)

The food colouring is mainly for cupcakes and icing - rosewater so far but also other varieties.

I have used beetroot in the past, but I do notice a particular beetroot flavour and not quite the right shade of red - I am very obsessive with these things I'm afraid.

I will see how I go obtaining the brands mentioned and possibly exploring natural versions.
Thanks heaps xx

bryzee86
May 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
You don'tneed to use beetroot as is, you can usually get beetroot paste or powder from baking shops, or maybe even ebay?

treehugga
May 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
I've never seen it sold in Australia or on Aussie ebay, but I think I might have found a substitute. I know cochineal is 120. Does anyone know what 123 is? It's a Queens brand that was recommended- just want to double check?

Mahk
May 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
E123 (http://www.laleva.cc/food/enumbers/E120-E130.html), called red#2 in the US, is banned in some countries. It's made from coal tar (?) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_tar) (yuck) Vegan though.

What flavor is your cake?

Red raspberry/cherry juice maybe?

treehugga
May 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Rosewater cupcake that required red food colouring. Ummm that option doesn't sound appealing.