PDA

View Full Version : My tofu expired May 8th

Tigerlily
May 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Do you still think it's okay to eat?

It's still in the fridge and in it's package.

:undecided: I'd hate for it to go to waste. I totally forgot I had it until today!

maikeru
May 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
If it looks okay and smells okay then I reckon it will be okay. At least if it was me and seemed fine then I would still use it.

And I sure I have been in that situation of of having tofu around 10 days past due. I certainly have both eaten and thrown away expired tofu based on the 'look and smell' test though!

Michael.

fondducoeur
May 18th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I have eaten tofu much farther past its expiration date then that. As long as its in an unopened package and has been refrigerated (and obviously looks/smells okay) it should be fine.

Tigerlily
May 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks. :) It's in one of those tight plastic wrappings as well, not the "fresh" tofu in little mini containers of water from the Chinese store...you know those kinds?

stumbleine
May 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
i have eaten tofu like 3 weeks away from its expiration date, and it was just fine. maybe you may want to cook it, just to make sure.
anyway, i think in some places you find this sticky tofu, which is fermented tofu (and that's what happens to tofu when it gets old). they say it's pretty healthy (bacteria-wise)... but the thought of it makes me queasy... hum hum

Fungus
May 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I dont really trust sell/use by date's in general - they can be totally wrong in either direction .. ie popcorn which has a use by date of 01/08 was totally fine where bread with a use by date of a week past this date has mould on it and wouldnt be usable .. Not really an accurate measure at all as its an arbitrary definition set by the manufacturer which is often very overdone in that products can last for much longer ..
</rant> ;)

Maisiepaisie
May 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It really annoys me that my mum will throw stuff away thats even one day past a best before date yet alone a use by date. She's unwilling to take the 'risk' of eating a bit of cake that may or may not be past its best yet she's quite happy to fill her body with dairy crap and mercury contaminated fish :rolleyes:

I go by the same rules as Maikeru. If it smells ok and doesn't have fur or green bits then its ok! :D

Tigerlily
May 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I ate it and it was fine! :D Thanks everyone.

Risker
May 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I fed my family 2 year out of date baked beans the other day, unfortunately they had milk in so I couldn't have any :p