PDA

View Full Version : Emulsifier

exec
May 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I've always come across this 'Emulsifier' but have no ideas from what is it derived. What is it actually?

maikeru
May 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM
An emulsifier is something that binds otherwise uncombinable substances. If you try to mix oil and water they will remain separate, with little balls of oil sitting in the water, and so an emulsifier is needed to be able to combine them.

There are various emulsifiers used in food, and they can be derived from both plant and animal sources.

If you see 'emulsifier' listed on a label it is not an ingredient but a description of the purpose of an ingredient.

Michael.

exec
May 20th, 2008, 07:58 AM
How do I know if there is anything from animals? The emulsifier is written in Japanese (I'm in Japan now) and the literal translation of that Japanese word is emulsifier.

bryzee86
May 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Could you contact the manufacturer to see where their emulsifier is derived from?

maikeru
May 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
What are the other ingredients listed around it? Maybe we could recognize something as being the emulsifier to which it refers.

Otherwise your only option is as Bry says and to ask because on its own it is about as useful as if it simply "stuff" as an ingredient.

Michael.