PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Way to Eat FYH "Cheese?"

mariana
May 22nd, 2008, 04:32 AM
The town where I go to college is really small and doesn't seem to sell vegan cheese anywhere (only the stuff with casein in it :() so when I got home a few days ago I was excited to discover Follow Your Heart "cheese" at the local health food store. I bought some of the mozzarella and I'm planning on using it for pizza (hopefully I'll like it :)), but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for other ways to eat it (i.e. is it good on nachos? sandwiches?). Thanks! :D

missbettie
May 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
macoroni and cheese!!! the bestest!!

mariana
May 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Mmm, that sounds great, missbettie! I hadn't even thought of that! :) I will definitely try it--which flavor of FYH do you use for your mac and cheese?

rantipole
May 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ways I eat FYH Cheese:

Cheddar flavor:
--right out of the package
--on a sandwich with tofurky, lettuce, tomato, mustard, and veganaise
--on crackers

Nacho flavor:
--melted with salsa as a chip dip
--melted onto a burrito

Mozarella flavor:
--melted on pizza
--on the tofurky sandwich above
--grated over pasta and tomato sauce

This is the best cheese I've found. I hope the cream cheese they said is "coming soon" comes soon!

Cheers,
rant

mariana
May 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Rantipole, thanks for all the suggestions. They all sound delicious. I'm excited to try all these now! :)

Tigerlily
May 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
The mozzarella is good on nachos as well! :) Mmmm.

RubyDuby
May 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
very good on pizza, although i prefer the jack.
also strombolis- i use pita pockets stuffed with sauce and cheese, vege meats, spinach... cover in foil and bake. :)

rantipole
May 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
very good on pizza, although i prefer the jack.
also strombolis- i use pita pockets stuffed with sauce and cheese, vege meats, spinach... cover in foil and bake. :)

OMG! That is the best idea ever! I'm totally doing this.

Cheers,
rant

mariana
May 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Does it melt well for you guys? I tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich the other day by putting some FYH mozzarella on bread and sticking it under the broiler for a minute but the bread burned and the "cheese" stayed solid! :(

Finikan
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I'm going crazy on my third week of having no FYH cheese in the house!

I use the cheddar with soy milk/butter in Macaroni and Cheese to keep it smooth after it's cooled, or if I'm out of that I use monterey jack. The nacho cheese melts well in the oven or microwave. I tried Cheddar on a sandwich once and it didn't taste very good. I never tried to make a grilled cheese with it. I know it takes a long time to melt for nachos, usually my refried beans cook long before the cheese!

Tigerlily
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Does it melt well for you guys? I tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich the other day by putting some FYH mozzarella on bread and sticking it under the broiler for a minute but the bread burned and the "cheese" stayed solid! :(

I heard adding a spritz of water helps . And it works much better in the microwave or stove top.

veganwitch
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I use it for grilled cheese sandwiches. I spread bread w/ earth balance and grill it in a frying pan. The cheese doesn't completely melt but gets melty-ish. Most times I add mashed avocado to the sandwiches too. The ultimate comfort food.

mariana
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I heard adding a spritz of water helps . And it works much better in the microwave or stove top.

I use it for grilled cheese sandwiches. I spread bread w/ earth balance and grill it in a frying pan. The cheese doesn't completely melt but gets melty-ish. Most times I add mashed avocado to the sandwiches too. The ultimate comfort food.
Ok, thanks for the advice, guys. I will give these 2 methods a try because putting it under the broiler did absolutely nothing in terms of melting it! Mmm, I love avocado--an avocado and grilled cheese sandwich sounds delicious!

RubyDuby
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
OMG! That is the best idea ever! I'm totally doing this.

Cheers,
rant
have u tried it yet?

so good.

rantipole
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
have u tried it yet?

so good.

Not yet. I've been living off of salads and hummus lately. I have a big party to prepare for this weekend, so I'll try to get to it next week. It just sounds excellent. Maybe with some Tofurky sausage!

About how long do you bake it for and at what temp?

Cheers,
rant

RubyDuby
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
i dont remember :o

i pretty much wing everything...