PDA

View Full Version : looking for tasty and very healthy snack

Pages : [1] 2 3

journey
May 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hubby (vegetarian) wants to lose weight - late night snacking is the issue. Likes to eat those individually wrapped sticks of mozzarella cheese, but wants a healthier replacement to satisfy the craving (salt, crunch, etc) - what can I suggest that's vegan? (he's not crazy about raw fruits or veggies).

I thought of pretzels, soy ice cream (he'll eat the whole container though, you know how cravings are - just putting an amount in a dish doesn't help cause he knows the rest is in the freezer). What do you suggest?

sugarmouse
May 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Im a late night muncher aswell.
I always keep raw popadums, and microwave rather than fry.Theyre only 30 cals each and come in different flavours.

Poison Ivy
May 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Air popped pocorn?

ellaminnowpea
May 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
popcorn is awesome, I miss my air popper!

if he likes salty, maybe he'd like carrots with hummus
or sunflower seeds, pepitas, dried cranberries, etc
maybe some vegan cheese slices depending on if you have it where you live

DiaShel
May 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
My favorite late night snack: cereal. I don't know why.

Huddy
May 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
My favorite late night snack: cereal. I don't know why.
me too:D -definately stops the cravings

vava
May 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
a COUPLE of nuts are really good to stop you feeling hungry but other than that I recommend a half a swede raw and a square of chocolate. If you manage to eat all the raw swede - then you get the chocolate as a prize.:D

Aradia
May 27th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Fresh popcorn ... sprinkle it with bouillion powder and nutritional yeast.

Cattmogg
May 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Have a smoothie, or some fruit? What about some dates? :)

Pob
May 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cucumber, sugar snap peas, celery, with hummous (maybe lower fat sort) to dip them in. I know it's raw veg, but they're all sweet and tasty.

karenann33
May 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I have fruit WITH the soy ice cream or a smoothie. My dh doesn't like fruit so I make him a chocolate smoothie with tofu and soy milk (it's low cal and it satisifies him).

journey
May 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
These are great ideas everybody, and most are things he already likes. Thanks. Sugarmouse, what's a popadum?

Aradia
May 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
You've never had a popadum??!! You haven't lived!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popadum

The are served with curries or with chutneys, onion salad etc as a starter ... they are very thin fried crisps ... great for shovelling up big mouthfuls of curry and dahl onto.

Ah, what I woulnd't do for a big stack of warm popadums right now ... I have some actually, now, where are they??

cedarblue
May 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
for ease of digestion and a very mild sedative effect try something with oats in, flapjack, oatcakes, even porridge/oatmeal. you don't want anything too heavy thats going to be testing your body with digesting it overnight, and possibly disturbing your sleep/dreams - this is when your body and digestive system should be resting not working hard.

veggiemaya
May 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
i have had problems dealing with late night snacking too. however mine is more that i wake up all throughout the night and feel a need for something sweet, or chocolatey. i will not keep things in my house that i know are totally fattening for fear that i will eat too much. i wind up having a couple spoons of homemade soy ice cream, or a teaspoon or so of almond butter. but a little bit every time i wake up adds up to more than a little bit.
does anyone have any clue how i could get past this? its been happening for years. i say happening because i honestly feel in those moments that it is somewhat out of my control.

ellaminnowpea
May 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Veggiemaya, didnt you say before you've had an eating disorder? Because if its the case, its not JUST a mind game.

But for most its just a matter of making the effort to make healthy decisions, even if they're hard. Sooner or later, it'll become a habit.

veggiemaya
May 29th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Veggiemaya, didnt you say before you've had an eating disorder? Because if its the case, its not JUST a mind game.

But for most its just a matter of making the effort to make healthy decisions, even if they're hard. Sooner or later, it'll become a habit.

yes, i have gone through some moments in my life where i have pretty much stopped eating. but in a way i kind of feel like that is a mind game. trying to control my body because i couldnt control the upsetting things that were going on in my life. but what do you mean? do you think that would have something to do with it?
and honestly, i do make very healthy decisions about eating. i just had someone tell me today that i am the most disciplined person they know, with how i eat and exercise. little do they know.. its like i struggle with this whole other side of myself . ugh, it's frustrating..

ellaminnowpea
May 29th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I definitely think that once someone's dealt with an eating disorder, everything about food is different. I think its great that you're disciplined, but like you said, its still a struggle and you are doing your best. Normal eating (IMO) is eating when you feel hungry and stopping when you're full, not for pleasure or not restricting... but there are very few people that do that!

Weird that you say that about discipline though, I've heard that about myself from friends a lot. Somehow everyone thinks I'm so disciplined but it's really just because I enjoy being healthy and feeling energized.

Whats this "other side"?

veggiemaya
May 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I definitely think that once someone's dealt with an eating disorder, everything about food is different. I think its great that you're disciplined, but like you said, its still a struggle and you are doing your best. Normal eating (IMO) is eating when you feel hungry and stopping when you're full, not for pleasure or not restricting... but there are very few people that do that!

Weird that you say that about discipline though, I've heard that about myself from friends a lot. Somehow everyone thinks I'm so disciplined but it's really just because I enjoy being healthy and feeling energized.

Whats this "other side"?

well, i guess i should also mention that for most of my life until i was around 19 or 20, i was significantly overweight. it was always a problem for me to stay away from eating sweets. and when i ate junk, i ate junk. i think a lot of it goes very deep..more about things that happened in my life when i was a child. and it was a very unhappy time. when i think back to the person i was when i was heavy, i dont ever want to be that again. and honestly, the less i weigh..the better i feel about myself...as screwed up as i know that is. anyway, so when i say that i have this "other side"..i guess its that i feel like i go back to being that "fat girl"..and i think thats where the feeling that i have no control comes in.
sorry for rambling on and on...

RubyDuby
May 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hubby (vegetarian) wants to lose weight - late night snacking is the issue. Likes to eat those individually wrapped sticks of mozzarella cheese, but wants a healthier replacement to satisfy the craving (salt, crunch, etc) - what can I suggest that's vegan? (he's not crazy about raw fruits or veggies).

I thought of pretzels, soy ice cream (he'll eat the whole container though, you know how cravings are - just putting an amount in a dish doesn't help cause he knows the rest is in the freezer). What do you suggest?

if you can find some kind of a fruit chew sticks, they are similar to the texture and size of cheese sticks.

another idea is veggie jerkey sticks. like slim jim, but veg (duh :p).

these arent really healthy ideas, but better than a stick of cheese!

also there are recipes for soy cheese logs, maybe from the uncheese cookbook? I know jambox has made a big log of 'cheese' and 'balogna'.

theres a recipe for cheeseballs here (http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80139)... is that 'consciouscuisine'?

sugarmouse
May 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
You've never had a popadum??!! You haven't lived!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popadum

The are served with curries or with chutneys, onion salad etc as a starter ... they are very thin fried crisps ... great for shovelling up big mouthfuls of curry and dahl onto.

Ah, what I woulnd't do for a big stack of warm popadums right now ... I have some actually, now, where are they??

Lol yes-but I microwave them so its less cals:) I sometimes squirt them with low cal spray.They notch about 40cals each:)

ellaminnowpea
May 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
no, i understand, veggiemaya. hope you can work through it and learn to see yourself valuable regardless of your weight :)

veggiemaya
May 30th, 2008, 04:23 AM
no, i understand, veggiemaya. hope you can work through it and learn to see yourself valuable regardless of your weight :)

thank you, ella! i have days when i have a better outlook than others, but i do continue to try. i appreciate your kind words! :)

Mahk
May 30th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Lol yes-but I microwave them so its less cals:) I sometimes squirt them with low cal spray.They notch about 40cals each:)

I've never seen them except in Indian restaurants. Are you putting dough in the microwave or an already crunchy disk? I don't understand.:confused:

RubyDuby
May 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
theyre super thin and crunchy before cooking.
just not yet crispy.

i have some in the fridge. must try this microwaving.

sugarmouse- do they come out crispy from the microwave? how long do u cook them in there?