PDA

View Full Version : What's the danger of re-using bottled water jugs?

Mahk
May 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't buy much bottled water, I mostly use filtered tap water, but I'm curious why the bottled water containers have a warning on them not to re-use them? That seems rather damaging to the environment but then again is there some danger I am unaware of that re-filling them has?:confused:

I guess if one puts their lips to the opening to drink it indeed wouldn't be a good idea to not wash and clean the container first, but otherwise what would the risk be to re-use them?

Risker
May 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I was wondering that too, I'm constantly reusing plastic bottles.

ellaminnowpea
May 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I think it has to do with the chemicals used in the processing/ treatment of plastic to make it into bottles.

Fungus
May 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasticsinfo/sec_level2_faq.asp?CID=705&DID=2839
http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/consumers/food-safety-topics/chemicals-in-food/waterbottles/index.htm
Seems to be no real evidence and will just be the manufacturers covering their backs as usual ..

Mahk
May 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Good links there Fungus, thanks. Seems OK if I wash them between each use but I don't think that's gonna happen.:lol: I never touch the opening and recover and cap immediately after dispensing so I think I'll be safe but I won't use the same container for months on end like I had been before cleaning.

I think I'm a bit more hygienic than those school kids in the University of Calgary Study mentioned. I see now why they have warning labels because kids use them too.

Fungus
May 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
or maybe if someone just happens to accidentally fill it up with dry ice on top and close the cap .. ;)

But tbh I think way too many people are over-scared about bacteria; any bacteria that would get into the bottle would be that which was already in your mouth .... <grrs>

Agatha
May 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
what?! i had never even noticed that. i always refill my bottles with filtered tap water and don't chuck them away (into the recycling) until i really have to.

VeganDaze
May 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I heard that because they aren't designed to last, if you keep re-using them the plastic chemicals start to leach in to the water. I normally just use one a few times, rather than for ages.
Those sites don't appear to support this, but I do find the water tastes weird if a bottle is used too much (I do wash them!)