PDA

View Full Version : Histamine low/free recipes?!

pavotrouge
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
My best friend has been diagnosed with histamine intolerance last week. He's always had a bunch of allergies, usually with asthma-like reactions :(

Things got really bad over the last couple of weeks, resulting him not being able to eat anything but rice and plain veggies without breathing problems and itching.

Anyway, here's the diagnose... he's an omni, not a fussy eater at all, but I cook a lot for my friends and this is getting really hard.
His bf has a BA in nutritional science and is equally clueless.

I've googled a fair bit over the last days and haven't found a proper recipe site/search anywhere, so I thought I'd try it here.

What he can't have is:

* anything fermented/pickled
* soy products
* any sort of nuts
* no strawberries, peanuts, no citrus fruit or stone fruits
* no celery or bell pepper, no tomato, no spinach

* not to forget ready-made and re-heated stuff (not bad for me, but for him as he sucks at cooking :rolleyes: )

I think this is it... doc also told him to leave out gluten for the next six to eight weeks.

Any ideas? All I'm coming up with is rice with stir-fries and pureed veggie soups... exciting, huh?

Do I miss out anything or does anybody have experience with this?
Your help is mucho appreciated!

harpy
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Beans and lentils are OK, are they? (I've seen 'red beans' on a list but that leaves a lot of other beans.) And potatoes?

If that's the case you could make potato-topped pies such as veggie shepherd's pie, and maybe a chilli-type dish with corn tortillas or similar (although that might be a bit strange without the tomatoes). There seem to be quite a lot of vegetables that are not on the list so you could also make big main-course salads (with beans for protein I suppose!).

pavotrouge
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Potatoes are ok with him, legumes have to be tested but have only caused slight itching so far (after all, omnis don't eat that many pulses).

Tomatoes are the worst thing to leave out for me.

ellaminnowpea
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Woah, that's pretty crazy; I've never heard of this before. Histamine is made from histidine (an amino acid). I suppose the doctor is telling him to avoid foods high in the amino acid histine, which include mostly animal products (eggs, fish, flesh, and dairy) and legumes.

After a quick search, I found this website (http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/amino-acids/histidine.php)that seems to be very good. It really simplifies the details of metabolism of histidine/ histamine.

pavotrouge
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:37 PM
right- dairy products are a big no, but eggs and fresh fish and certain meats are ok. I didn't mention that because I don't want to get back to omni cooking only for him.

mariana
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Stir fries and rice actually sound really tasty to me... how about Indian food? Channa masala, aloo gobi...yum! So he's only supposed to leave out gluten for awhile? If gluten turns out to be ok, how about pasta without tomato sauce (or could you maybe find a gluten-free pasta where you live?). You could throw in garlic, basil, lots of fresh veggies and maybe some chickpeas or other cannellini beans.

pavotrouge
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I can get gluten-free pasta easily. The problem is: no tomatoes!

Enchantress
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
You could make a lentil bolognese sauce for the pasta (lentils are okay, right). Or there's a tomato-free pasta sauce here (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/600274_Nomato_Pasta_Sauce__340g.html#), I couldn't see any of the list of things he can't have in the ingredients list.

mjnewbould
Jun 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
but one does not have to have tomatos with pasta - just any veg is fantastic with it in my opinion!

harpy
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Artichoke hearts pureed with a bit of tahini (if that's allowed?) make a nice pesto-type sauce to have with pasta and steamed veg.

mariana
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Artichoke hearts pureed with a bit of tahini (if that's allowed?) make a nice pesto-type sauce to have with pasta and steamed veg.
Mmm, that sounds really good! I think I'm going to have to try it. :)

harpy
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
It is quite, and no trouble if you have a food processor. I normally put a splash of lemon juice in as well but that wouldn't do for pavotrouge's pal.

pavotrouge
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM

that's an awesome idea!

so are the no-mato products, though I don't know if I can get them here.

a splash of lemon juice used for cooking should be all right.

yesterday we ended up going to the Turkish take-away, anyway, because I had a mad day at work and couldn't be arsed to cook :rolleyes:

Tigerlily
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Mmm Turkish take-away...

Anyway! You can make him a pasta salad with beans and whatever vegetables he can eat. The salad dressing might be hard since he can't have lemon or vinegar (right?).

pavotrouge
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM
right. But I found out using olive oil and some Asian chili sauce works :)