PDA

View Full Version : Imodium alternative

pusskins
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi hi!

Right, we have decided we need a vegan alternative to Imodium, as it is a very handy standby to have in the cabinet for just-in-case situations. :D

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

bryzee86
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Immodium stops diarreah (sp?), right?

Well my nanna always recommended arrowroot mixed with water, and Joeybee (a nurse) recommends peppermint oil as well, to stop wind and cramping.

pusskins
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you, bryzee86. I'll write a note of that to sit in our meds cabinet! Peppermint makes sense :)

Tigerlily
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:24 AM
My aunt swears by tea leaves. Empty a tea bag and swallow it with some water in one big gulp. I haven't tried it and it sounds kinda weird, but maybe it works.

tipsy
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:10 AM
ginger gets rid of nausea!!

i swear by it for indegestion and motion sickness!!

snivelingchild
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Anything that absorbs stuff (like the arrowroot). Activated charcoal works too.

bryzee86
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Anything that absorbs stuff (like the arrowroot).

:thumbsup:

missbettie
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
banana's are supposed to stop you up, not sure if its a wives tale or if it works though....

Tigerlily
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I don't know...I've been eating bananas like it's going out of style all weekend and I've been having more BM's.

missbettie
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
^ myth busted. lol

Tigerlily
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:47 AM
LOL.

They are just so tasty!

pusskins
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't know...I've been eating bananas like it's going out of style all weekend and I've been having more BM's.

BM's? :confused:

Thanks for all the tips! All noted and laminated (because I am sad like that!) and put in meds cabinet. Got some charcoal tablets and arrowroot. Is that why they recommend eating toast, because of the charcoal (or is it just the way I toast bread?) ?

bryzee86
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
BM's? :confused:

Bowel Movements...

I live with nurses :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah my nanna always says eat dry toast, cos it bungs you up.

snivelingchild
Jun 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM
The toast just absorbs stuff, like everything else mentioned. Diarrhea is caused because there is something unwelcome and harmful in your body that it needs to get out. That's why it is expelled so quickly. If you eat something that can soak that something up, less of the first something will get absorbed by your body. It's like eating bentonite clay to absorb an ingested poison. (Which was the original use before people noticed it made a great facial pack)