PDA

View Full Version : Food Addiction, hypoglycemia, emotions

Pages : 1 [2]

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Andie - I enjoyed your writer's slip - 'Supper busy' instead of of 'Super busy' - TeeHee! :D
Um, the Unthinkable is kind of going well. I have stopped smoking (again), stopped drinking anything which contains caffeine, sugar, or alcohol, have started an exercise plan (thanks, Pete!), but haven't stopped the sugar.
I have made some 'Protein Bars' which contain syrup, and have limited myself to one of those per day............but only if I exercise that day! This seems to work both ways - a reward and a good source of protein but not a dependance.
The real test will be a) when I have a disastrous day, or b) when I have bad PMT. :rolleyes:
I am still hankering after going Raw, but I will cross a few other bridges before giving that more thought.

Well done Andie, you must be proud of yourself, has it been hard or are you completely motivated now? :)

Andie
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm not a good speller and when I wrote that I would have liked to have been at home having a super supper!!
Your plan sounds good. I don't blame you for not going raw now. Take it all gradually.
It has surprising not been hard. I've known for a long time, years, I had issues with food. I've finally come to the point I'm ready to deal with it all and ready to feel more energetic, less depressed and cranky.

adam antichrist
Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:17 AM
I don't know about this sugar thing. I have noticed that, if I don't have something very sweet for several hours (even if it's just a glass of pure Orange Juice), then my head starts to feel really tight, a headache develops (which, unchecked sometimes runs in to a Migraine), I get a horrible, hot, thirsty feeling, and feel like I could knock somones teeth out! The minute I have something sweet, I feel calm again.
So, I wonder, do I have a medical condition, or am I simply addicted to Sugar (in all it's forms?).

Candida bacteria lives in the intestine and feeds on sugars. If you have excessive populations they require tonnes of sugar to survive. When you cut down on sugar, they are eating all the carbs you need to function properly. Headaches are a side effect of this, perhaps because the brain needs carbs for cellular respiration (all other organs can function on ketones... hence the success of the aitkins diet) so your headache probably relates to this. I notice you posted this in decmber so I wonder how things are now? If it is still occurring you might need a detox diet... water fast for a couple of days then introduce raw root vegetables. I read about this in a book called 'It might be alergy and it can be cured', but I can't remember the author's name.

adam antichrist
Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
I am for the first time considering a weight loss diet. I was one of those people who although having terrible eating habits never put onm a gram until at age 27 I went on a medication which appeared to change my metabolism as a side effect... I put on ten kilos in 6 weeks and it's never come off.

I am reluctant to cut out sugar altogether because as a non drinker/smoker/drug user/meat eater etc etc I wonder what is left for me??? Carbs and a nice cup of tea with soy milk are my only vices (apart from sacrificing little children) :D

I have been experimenting with better eating habits ie cutting down to 3 meals per day. I have noticed that if I allow myself a bite to eat late at night I can't stop eating and it turns into a fourth meal. While I am slightly overweight and definately not obese I feel that I can't acheive or succeed until I lose the extra 5-10 kilos and I recognise this as severely dysfunctional thinking.

Has anyone had much success with vegan weight loss diets they can recommend? I am not in a position to purchase literature at present so links to online sites would be much appreciated.

littleTigercub
May 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
I believe I am a hypoclycaemic and gave up coffee before Xmas. Although I still have the odd (!) can of diet coke (instead of one a day) I really feel the difference. The first day I experienced terrible headache but this just confirmed that my decision was right to give up something which causes you so severe withdrawal sympthtoms.

At the same time, I also gave up alcohol for the same reason, but unfortunately, I did not manage to keep this up (not that I drink a lot anyway...).

I really felt the difference and did not crave chocolate a single bit - not even pre period!

I then relapsed (and had chocolate cake) and there were all the cravings back which further confirmed that it was the abstinence which made the difference. Unfortunately, since then, I did not manage to cut out alcohol and chocolate again but I aim to!

littleTigercub

Haniska
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I think I have hypoglycemia too. I have been looking up about it and it is recommended that you eat at least every three hours no sugar, no coffee, no cigarettes. Protein, fat, and whole grains at every meal. Withdrawal lasting a week. Diabetic glusose(?) tablets will help. White potatoes supspicous.
Actually I had baked potato chips with breakfast and set me off on a binge.
Finished off my Christmas dates today. I also had a solid chunk of sugar (rock candy) and hacked up mucous for about a half hour afterward. Nice.
Didn't have any sugar yesterday and had a migraine by 7pm.

Haniska
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Can anyone give me a link to the Potatoes not Prozac website? Thanks.

Willynilly
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM
If you Google 'potatoes not prozac,' you'll get a lot of results. :)

Haniska
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I did that and I got a lot of results for the book :-p I'll pick through them though.

Seaside
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I think this (http://www.radiantrecovery.com/meetkathleen.htm) is what you are looking for, Haniska.

Yogini
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I sort of skimmed the "sugar debate" posts in this thread. I came to the conclusion a while back that the reason there is so much debate about weight loss and breaking addictions is because people have different body chemistry make-ups and different reasons for addiction. What may work wonderfully for one person may be a disaster for another and vice versa. I suffered from various addictions for quite awhile and I've come to the conclusion that they were primarily psychological. Once I changed my life in a way that made me happy and not miserable, my addictions resolved themselves. And contrary to conventional wisdom, I can now consume former addiction substances in moderation. For example, I spent most of my twenties as a raging alcoholic. I quit for a few years and didn't drink at all, then started drinking lightly again about 1 1/2 years ago and haven't had any problems. I bought a six-pack about 2 months ago and in that time I've only drank three of them.

This "one size DOESN'T fit all" theory covers a lot of areas. When I studied criminology in college, I read about all the different theories as to why people commit crime. Every expert was convinced that his/her theory was the only correct one. But for every theory, I and most other students could think of several exceptions. Then I read about another criminologist who said "all of these theories are correct" - different people have different motivations and the trick is to figue out which theory applies to each criminal and how to use that particular theory as part of rehabilitation. Expecting all criminals to respond to one rehabilitation practice is a recipe for failure. This was a real eye-opener for me and, as I stated, I find applications for this principle in other fields almost every day.

Haniska
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Thank you Seaside!

I went to the doctor the other day to have some bloodwork done (more on that later). His shift was *almost* over and he said "Do you have anything else I can help you with?" I asked if there was a way or a reason for me to be tested for hypoglycemia. He said no, the only thing to be done about it was to eat frequently. I told him I had it covered :P
Now I am about to eat a maple sugar leaf. Tomorrow is New Years!

Seaside
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:01 PM
You're welcome. :)

Haniska
Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
I went without sugar or any white carbs all day! Woo hoo for me keeping my New Years resolution.
Around 8pm I started "looking". It seemed way worse than when I quit smoking! After a while I told myself it was okay to eat some whole fruit. I ate a half an apple that tasted like PURE APPLE SUGAR and now I have a migraine. :( I looked up "sugar migraine" and found a lot of sites that say swinging your blood sugar around can give you migraines.

Tigerlily
Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
I heard eating something high in sugar (even fruits, dried fruit) with something high in protein (like nuts) should help that.

If you still have your headache, drink a ton of water and lie down. I mean like 5 glasses in a row.

I had a sugar migraine last night from ONE glass of Pepsi. Bleh! Felt so headachey and nauseas. Great way to ring in the new year...

Stezzy
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I get severe hypoglycemia attacks where I feel totally desperate for something sweet. I also have ME/CFS and candida and I've heard it can be part of that in some cases. I'm trying to give up sugar as it makes me so ill, but I'm so addicted to it that for me going cold turkey is pretty much impossible. I'm seeing a homoepath who's given me some pills to apparently help with the sugar cravings, so I'll let you know if they work! I also find that eating little and often is the best way forward. If I leave it for 2-3 hours before eating I get the shakes and feel really weak.