PDA

View Full Version : Saf - the first gourmet vegan restaurant in London

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

twist
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Did anyone see the review in todays metro on Saf's- the first gourmet, raw vegan restaurant in London.
It got quite a good review, despite being tried out by a meat eater, who towards the end of the article came out with
"sending someone like me -whose last meal request will always be based on some kind of dead animal-to review saf might be a bit off, but the raw-food-eating vegans we know were too busy getting blood transfusions".

Anyway- has anyone tried this place yet?

Twist

Stu
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I keep looking for an excuse to go. Let's have a veganforum no-meat-up there!

bryzee86
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
What's that sound?

Oh it's the money truck backing up!

Gwydion
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I keep looking for an excuse to go. Let's have a veganforum no-meat-up there!

Weird, was thinking of suggesting some sort of meet-up there earlier.

I really want to try it out, and as much as don't mind booking a table for one *sob + sad face*, some sort of meet-up would be mucho's grand!

The menu on the website has now been updated, and includes prices by the way. http://www.safrestaurant.co.uk/

Gorilla
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
thanks for that link, nice website and the menu looks pretty good, if a tad on the pricy side. i'd be up for a no-meat-up there :)

bryzee86
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
maybe when I'm earning 20k+ i might consider going there.

Gorilla
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
ha, i don't earn anywhere near that much either, but i figure it'd be worth a try!

Gwydion
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
ha, i don't earn anywhere near that much either, but i figure it'd be worth a try!

Snap.... crackle and pop

twist
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
maybe we could all do a dine and dash?? ;)

Sluggie
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Saf's had a very mixed review in The Observer a couple of weeks back:

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/search?site=guardian&search=jay%20rayner%20saf

Gorilla
Jun 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
that link doesn't work for me, Sluggie.

Sluggie
Jun 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Odd. I've put a different link in. It's the second item, called "It's Grim Down Saf".

Gorilla
Jun 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
thanks. i still think a review by a non-vegan is going to be less complimentary than someone coming from a vegan point of view. i'm sick of reading reviews that say things like "some of the worst food I have ever endured has been in the name of veganism. It's not that I actively seek the death of an animal. But hell, a little light slaughter does seem to make things taste better".

but i guess he has a point when he says there were things on the menu that could've been nice and were just very poor. still sounds worth a try imo.

Gwydion
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I know this is in the wrong place, but continuing from above...

So are we going to have a lirrrle meet-up here of some sort? If not, I was thinking of maybe popping in for a light luncheon or something this weekend. Anybody in the area and would like to join?

:smoochie:

twist
Jun 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM
hey saw your post about a meet-up at Saf's. The weekend luncheon thing sounded so good had it not been for work!!!:(
Maybe a meet up there would be good though at some point.
Anyone else interested?
x

Gorilla
Jun 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM
i'd be interested in a meet-up there although am a bit short of cash to make it this weekend. lunch is a good idea because we're likely to eat less than we would at dinner, making it a slightly cheaper event :)

whalespace
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
maybe when I'm earning 20k+ i might consider going there.

I remember sitting in 'Beatroot' ..or something, in London, eating something which was purdy good; but gazing at the market stalls outside, I couldn't help feeling a bit of a plonka. I guess I'm so accustomed to scrimping, that a speed peeler seems easier than a note from the queen.

Maybe you could get a copy of the menu and make it yourselves. No cooking right, so just mixing then?

Gwydion
Jun 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
...lunch is a good idea because we're likely to eat less than we would at dinner, making it a slightly cheaper event :)

This was my thinking, but called them today and was told they aren't open at the moment during 'lunch hours', only evenings :undecided:

Gorilla
Jun 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
nuts. well, we'll just have to be stingy about how much we eat ;)

i'm certainly happy to pass on the 'cheese' course :p

Gwydion
Jun 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM
:eek: Blasphemy!

On both points....

Gorilla
Jun 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
haha, well i wasn't all that impressed by the sound of the fake cheese course from that Observer review, even if the writer was biased.

Gwydion
Jun 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Ahhh, haven't read that review.

I would like to try me some nutty 'cheese'! You can pinch some of mine to try if this meet-up ever happens ;)

Elahiya
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
i would like to try it at safs. although its not that pricey it might be worth a shot. whod like to join?

bryzee86
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
It is pricey!!

twist
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
i would like to try it at safs. although its not that pricey it might be worth a shot. whod like to join?

I'm up for that- anyone else?
x