PDA

View Full Version : When did you go vegan and why?

Pages : 1 [2]

mariana
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
I've been vegetarian my whole life. My parents went vegetarian for health reasons, but I always saw it more from an AR perspective. As a little kid I asked them about meat and I really didn't understand how anyone could eat it. When I was 4 or so (before I understand what meat was) my mom let me try a bite of my friend's hamburger (I was curious)--I thought it tasted like a veggie burger. After I found out that hamburger=dead cow I was disgusted and really angry. For a long time I was angry at my mom for letting me try it.
When I was 13 I was looking around on the internet for something and stumbled across the PETA site. I didn't know what PETA was, but I read some stuff about the dairy and egg industries and was disgusted, so I told my mom I wanted to go vegan. She convinced me that it would probably be bad for my health, so I gave up for awhile. I slowly phased out eating certain stuff, though--like I'd look at milk, or yogurt, or sour cream, and decide it was gross and I couldn't eat it anymore. However, deep down I always thought I would go vegan when I went to college. By the time I got to college I'd gotten very good at not thinking about the cruelty involved in dairy and egg production, and I always seemed to be telling myself "Oh, I'll go vegan next month." But every meal I sat down to made me feel guilty. In January I stopped eating in the dining hall and started cooking all my meals, and I always made vegan food. Eventually I realized how easy it really is to be vegan, and discovered I was more and more disgusted by dairy and eggs. Finally one day in April I realized that I could no longer stand the idea of eating dairy or eggs, and I didn't want them at all either. I joined this forum and told my family. It's been pretty easy for me, since I was kind of "transitioning" to veganism in a way for 7 years. I'm glad to finally be able to eat a meal without feeling guilty! :)

exec
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
For me, it has been five years already. It was an afternoon when I was gazing at a wild cat which usually 'visited' my house for her lunch. She used to sleep after that and I used to look at it slept. That day, I was watching and then something just popped up in my mind, "What's the purpose of life?".

What's actually our objectives of lives? Money? Prestige? Big house? Sports cars? Then I thought, it is simply a word 'survival'. I looked at the cat and wondered, how good life is if I were that particular cat. Her life was(yes, was) simple and yet enviable. No worry, just life. Her look in slumber was peaceful and then I started to wonder how many of her kinds have the fortune to do just that.

The cat inspired me, that animals have their lives as good as what we are having. And then I convinced myself that harmonic co-existence amongst the animal kingdom is viable if we, the human, start from ourselves since we are the most feared predators.

Andy
Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
December 21st, 2007, I know by looking at my join date on this forum, cause it was the same day lol.

I didn't realise it was 6months already :thumbsup:

I guess I already knew about the cruelty of dairy an eggs and veganism seemed like a massive step but on that day I just thought to myself i'm gonna go for it lol, and that was that :D

philfox
Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I was brought up veggie from about the age of 4 ish. Dad ate meat from time to time (now he's a fully fledged omni :mad: ) and I can remember eating fish fingers for some reason in that time :confused: and gran giving me black pudding saying it wasn't meat so try it... when I found out what it was i was quite quite sick :o
I had a little bit of a hippy upbringing and was always a bit different at school. I was always found with some kind of animal rights leaflet on me (still have the old folder somewhere lol). The only vegetarians I seemed to meet in college and uni were the fish munching geletine chomping kind, so I never really was influenced to go any further. Then I went away for a weekend with some uni friends october or november 2001. I had a bit of a fling with someone who used to be vegan (said they were part time vegan :rolleyes: ) and the told me all about the horrors of the dairy industry: 'meat is murder, dairy is rape' I did some research, and I couldn't justify eating dairy any more so went vegan Jan of 2002. For really stupid stupid selfish reasons I mention in my first post I ever made on this forum I started eating meat when I went abroad April 2003 I felt terrible and was back to being veggie by the end of 2003. After some stop start efforts in between time I went vegan again Feb 2006 after a long hard reflection of who I am and the person I wanted to be. 2 1/2ish years later I'm still on the vegan wagon. I have no intention of falling off this time ;)

erfoud
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Nice account, philfox! Sometimes, our firmest decisions arise after great weaknesses!
Keep on with it!

erfoud
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
For me, it has been five years already. It was an afternoon when I was gazing at a wild cat which usually 'visited' my house for her lunch. She used to sleep after that and I used to look at it slept. That day, I was watching and then something just popped up in my mind, "What's the purpose of life?".

What's actually our objectives of lives? Money? Prestige? Big house? Sports cars? Then I thought, it is simply a word 'survival'. I looked at the cat and wondered, how good life is if I were that particular cat. Her life was(yes, was) simple and yet enviable. No worry, just life. Her look in slumber was peaceful and then I started to wonder how many of her kinds have the fortune to do just that.

The cat inspired me, that animals have their lives as good as what we are having. And then I convinced myself that harmonic co-existence amongst the animal kingdom is viable if we, the human, start from ourselves since we are the most feared predators.
Phew! This seems to be what Tom Regan described as "Damasquine conversion" in his brilliant "Empty cages": a flash, thundering awakening!
Congratulations!

WildWitch
Jun 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe you read an ingredient list on a package of fresh pasta that contained egg? (they usually do here at least). Dry pasta is usually safe but moist, fresh pasta usually is not, where I live at least.

i buy sainsburys go organic wholewheat pasta that dosnt contain egg.

tresu
Aug 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I went vege (no meat, but eggs and dairy still) when I was 18 because my new boyfriend was vege. Lame I know. We broke up after 3 months, I kept it up another 3, I was vege for 6 months altogether. I lost weight but I'm not sure how much, probably 5kg or so. I started eating meat again on a family holiday...

Fast-forward almost four years later. I can't remember how it started but I ended up spending a whole day reading about veganism online. I read one article that talked about food resources in third-world countries and kind of took it as meaning people were starving while cows were being fed ect. I couldn't believe how ridiculous the whole thing was so I decided to go vegan. After another day of reading I realised that it was less that there wasn't enough food, it just wasn't being distributed the right way. So my initial reason for going vegan was quashed, but the health benefits/ethical/environmental reasons I'd found out along the way still had me sold so here I am still vegan.

It's less than two months later but I LOVE BEING VEGAN and I will never, ever go back. I have been thinking about how I used to go on the Atkins diet all the time and I am positively disgusted at the thought... It makes me feel so queasy just thinking about all that meat sitting inside my body... Gross...........

Huddy
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Ive been vegan 1 year this week! Yay-Happy Veganversary to me!:D
Why? Because I love animals way too much to inflict any harm or suffering on them. Ive proven now to my family and friends that it can be done-one year later and Im the healthiest that Ive ever been in my life, and happier knowing that Im not contributing to those horrible industries. Best thing that Ive ever done in my life, and Im glad that I did it:wink_ani:

starlight
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
step 0. A long on - off relationship with vegetarianism (since about 1985) which was probably inspired by animal welfare issues, although I forget.

step 1. I became a Buddhist, and the practice of compassion for all living creatures gradually worked its effects on me. In the early stages I did not strongly associate this with what I ate, but more with the tragedy of human conflict.

step 2. My wife came down with an auto-immune disease and very nearly lost her sight. Although the doctors "cured" her they didn't seem to know why it had happened or how to prevent a relapse. So we researched and found a link with diet. We both went on a strict (mainly vegan) detox diet ... and were surprised at how great we felt.

step 3. over a period of time I began to feel that the only non-vegan bit of the diet (fish) was somehow impure and repulsive.

step 4. I educated myself from books - about climate change, the ethics of food production and veganism.

Suddenly it all clicked ... so I took a vow. My wife went vegan at the same time.

It's been a long journey but I feel I'm going in the right direction for me.

eve
Aug 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
congratulations to you and your wife.

brucie-g
Aug 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Veggie since 2003, vegan since 2006. Both for moral reasons.