PDA

View Full Version : When did you go vegan and why?

Pages : [1] 2

twist
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
there's probably been a thread similar to this already, but seeing as I'm quite new- just thought I'd ask....

When did you go vegan and why?

I personally went vegetarian for primarily health reasons when I was 19. That was for about six months. I then read John Robbin's book- The Food Revolution, which was so powerful it caused me to go vegan for moral reasons. that was for almost two years. Then unfortunately after being dragged in to the common misconception that people need excess protein to continue fitness training I returned to fish and eggs, then occassional dairy. I felt ashamed and selfish, so after a few months returned to veganism and have felt so much better for it- not only in terms of guilt but also I feel so much healthier and feel like I have returned to normal.

Would be great to hear other's stories.

bryzee86
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
March 2005, because I couldn't continue ignoring the fact that the dairy industry = rape and death.

WildWitch
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well i first went veggie when i was 14, it was during a biology lesson where the teacher was telling us about the way animals were farmed, put me right off as i found it cruel and didnt want all those nasty chemicals they fed the cattle in my body. So i went home and announced to mum i was never eating meat again.

I then stopped eating fish about a year after that due to something id been reading about the state of the oceans, the rubbish pumped into them that was affecting fish, so i gave that up.

I lived happily as a veggie till about 4 years ago when i decided that all dairy i ate had to be organic or i wouldnt touch it, this was due to the way animals were treated in non organic farms and the rubbish they fed them on which i didnt want contaminating my body. I found it difficult to only choose organic dairy so i thought what the hell, ill give it up completely.

For the last 2.5 years iv been living a very happy vegan lifestyle and would never go back. I feel iv learnt more about food and nutrition, im happy that im doing more for animals and the planet and still feel im learning all the time.

Elahiya
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
i was vegetarian 5 years ago. all the meat was so disgusting, the look at it made me feel like i had to puke in any minute. i donīt know why i didnīt stick to it. from time to time i started to eat meat after 3/4 a year again. i can really not explain.

last year, when i found out iīm lactose intolerant i was searching the web for alternatives and found numerous vegan sites where i learned the facts about milk, eggs, meat again etc. some things i just didnīt know before, then i did and i couldnīt support these industries and injustice to poor helpless animals any more. so i went pretty strictly vegan over night. itīs almost a year ago.

Linxie
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
vegetarian - October 1991 after finally persuading/emotionally blackmailing my Mum into letting me

vegan - April 2007 after finally waking up to what was actually involved in the egg/dairy industries

scarlet begonias
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I was a pescetarian for 4 years, but struggled with the social part of it in high school. When I told my friends I wouldn't eat the lunch special chicken patty, often I was told there was something wrong with me & that I wasn't normal. I hid my real feelings about meat for a few years, safely telling people I did not eat meat because I didn't prefer the taste. Finally, one day I grew so sick and tired of covering up my feelings that I planned to write and talk about vegetarianism for a persuasive essay in English class. After doing some research I converted completely to veganism, as did my English topic. :)

Joeybee
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
March 2005. I finally had the veil of ignorance lifted that the dairy industry causes just as much cruelty as the meat industry. I had a few mishaps but i found the transition from vegetarianism to veganism fairy easy, and now i feel great. The more i learn about my lifestyle, the more i love the fact i am vegan, it is an integral part of my life now :)

BJJNick
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Went vegetarian on May 9th, 2004. Weird story. I saw a human beheading online and it disgusted me beyond belief. At that point I made the realization that the same thing happens to animals on a daily basis. I couldn't be part of it anymore.

Went vegan like 3 months ago or something.

horselesspaul
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Went vegetarian on May 9th, 2004. Weird story. I saw a human beheading online and it disgusted me beyond belief. At that point I made the realization that the same thing happens to animals on a daily basis. I couldn't be part of it anymore.

Went vegan like 3 months ago or something.
Wow. Respect.

I went vegan in the summer of 1990, if I recall correctly. I met some hippy scum vegans whose mere existence (none of them ever tried to "preach") made me realise how hypocritical I found my own lacto-ovo vegetarianism. I still see them around and about from time to time, the lovely people.

Peas Love Unity

xrodolfox
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I went vegan summer of 1994.
My reasoning for being an omnivore wasn't cutting the reason for my participation in the killing and use of animals. I tried going vegan one afternoon, and it stuck.

veganbikerboy
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
late Spring/summer 1997. A strange serious of events, in a short space of time, pretty much made me re-evaluate my whole life. I had a very distressing experience with a poultry factory farm, started dating a vegan girl and met some animal rights protesters that were protesting against a beagle breeding factory near where i was working.

I had always thought that our relationship with our surrounding environment (and the creatures in it) was wrong, but wasn't really sure what I could/should do. The experiences I had and the people i met opened my eyes to vegansim. It was one of the easiest things I have done, once I had made the decision.

Stu
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I always remember questioning me mam about meat when I was a kid, and just finding it weird that we ate the stuff, and being unable to get my head around it.

I also remember going to zoos and farms etc with primary school, and admiring the animals, stroking them etc. Then we'd go and eat meat and that didn't tally for me.

I didn't go vegan though, until I was about 17 (probably 1995). I probably felt that I wasn't 'allowed' before then. I went veggie for about a day, drank some milk and felt wrong and just made a decision on the spot that it didn't make sense.

I think this was around the time I got heavily into The Smiths and I can't help wondering whether or not Meat Is Murder was an influence.

ellaminnowpea
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I became vegetarian when I moved back to the U.S. Veg*nism was unheard of where I lived, the country is VERY sheltered from 'western' influence. Anyway, that was 1996 when I was 11 y.o. I tried out veganism a few times throughout my teens but I wasn't "allowed" and my parents freaked out a little. I didn't know what real veganism was until around 2004/2005. I tried it out a few times then as well, but again, found it hard with my parents until I went away to school in summer 2006. Wish I could have been more educated about veganism when I went vegetarian in 1996, I would have become vegan instead.

steven1222
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I went vegan at the beginning of the first day of 2007, as a New Year’s Resolution. The last time I ate a lump of meat was on 27-November-2003, but it was not until early in 2006 that I even became aware of the concept of “vegan.” Then, I started learning about all of the problems with dairy, and by the summer, I had thirteen reasons for zero dairy. I also finally came to the realization that my father had no legal right to control what I ate, and that I was therefore safe. I was under intense pressure (read: threats), so I did not give it up all at once. I slowly phased dairy out until it was completely gone by the end of the year. When I gave up dairy, everything else came automatically.

Cattmogg
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I went veggie over night during the BSE crisis. The whole thing appauled me and i looked into the meat industry in great detail. I started to read about slaughter practices and it chilled me. That was it, i just couldnt be part of it. I actually found it a challenge to know what eat. It sounds ridiculous now but i once actually ordered a sausage by accident. All id had was meals with meat and i didnt know how else to think about food. :undecided: But it felt really good to be free of feding off that industry and all its horrors and I really enjoyed discovering new stuff to eat. I didnt really make the dairy link, which seems so obvious now. Going vegan was a bit more sporadic, from about 2000. Again, i got busy with the literature. I must admit i found it harder being vegan from a will power point of view. Its basically milk chocolte. I do still miss it. Some habits die hard. :dizzy: But im so glad i am. :thumbsup:

snivelingchild
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I went vegan overnight in August 2004, because I got bored and read an article on the Peta website. I was so outraged, I read every single one out loud to my husband, and kept going until one by one I decided never to have X (and so did he) and one by one threw things out of my fridge. Then I came here and learned about real veganism.

puffin
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
1994 because it was the next step. Veggie in 1988 because meat is just disgusting and wrong. Nothing to thoughtful went into my decision.

Corvus
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Went veggie at 14 (I'm 25 now) because of a really inspirational sociology teacher at school who's reasons for her own vegetarianism interested me. I'd ask her questions about it and she'd bring in stuff to show me what goes on in laboratories and abbatoirs etc. She also lent me some Levellers CDs and got me hooked on them too!

Went vegan at 18 which just seemed like the next step and the right thing to do. I opened up my food cupboard one day and just launched everything non-vegan in the bin. It actually took me a while to realise that semolina wasn't non-vegan so I went about a year without eating pasta. I've no idea what brought me to that bizzarre conclusion :D

horselesspaul
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
She also lent me some Levellers CDs and got me hooked on them too!

Careful now.

saycheezly
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I went veggie when I was a kid the day I realised where meat came from - I don;t actually remember that day but that's what my mum and sister told me.

I spent years as a smug righteous vegetarian thinking I was so 'right on' then one day there was a showing of Truth or Dairy at a local animal rights meeting - during that same period I went hunt sabbing for the first time and attended a demo at a place that was breeding beagles for vivisection. All of the stuff plus meeting other real life vegan animal rights activists made my head spin and set me on the path to veganism. It took a while to make the whole switch though. But it's been about 12 years now :)

Mahk
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It actually took me a while to realise that semolina wasn't non-vegan so I went about a year without eating pasta. I've no idea what brought me to that bizzarre conclusion :D
Maybe you read an ingredient list on a package of fresh pasta that contained egg? (they usually do here at least). Dry pasta is usually safe but moist, fresh pasta usually is not, where I live at least.

Corvus
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah I think I associated it with Semolina pudding and thought "well if semolina pudding isn't vegan then semolina can't be"!!

erfoud
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
vegetarian in 2001 and it was a process of awakening that started when I became involved in environmental issues. I started reading and watching documentaries until the carnivore issue smacked into my face.A pivotal moment was, yeah, when I stumbled upon"Animal Liberation". From them on I began to get hooked on animal rights until...
little by little I came to realise that including eggs , cheese and milk in my diet ran counter to the principles I was standing up for, so I gave it up in a few months. I became a happy vegan in 2005

horselesspaul
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
I tried going vegan one afternoon, and it stuck.
Sorry, missed this.
Still laughing here, xrodolfox.

matt35mm
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I became a vegetarian pretty casually. I just happened to be curious about it, and I live in a place that has so many options for vegetarians and vegans, so I told myself that I'd try it out for at least a month.

Four months later, a friend told me that a lot of cheese uses animal rennet (an enzyme procured from animal stomachs after slaughter), and I agreed with my friend that it wasn't very "vegetarian" of me, so I stopped eating all cheeses except for ones that specified "vegetable rennet" or something like that.

Then around the same time my sister pretty innocently asked what the difference between eating meat and dairy/eggs was. I guess I must've felt silly saying that the difference was that I wasn't eating their dead bodies, because I decided to look more into veganism right after that.

After a day or two of intense research, I said to myself, "yeah," and gave away the can of condensed milk that I had in the cupboard, and threw away the cookie dough. That was early December 2006, so I guess I've been a vegan for a bit over a year and a half. Hooray!