PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many vegan fake meats not fortified?!

Herbsman
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I was pretty surprised and saddened to see that the Redwood sausages that I started having in sandwhiches every day for lunch aren't fortified with any vitamins or minerals.

I don't normally go for fake 'meat' but a) these sausages are a fairly cheap source of protein at £2/300g, b) not messy, unlike hummous sandwhiches, and c) they're very convenient and portable.

It's a shame that there is no vitamin B12 or any other important vitamins or minerals added to them.

The same can be said for Aldi soya milk. If it's a milk replacement then it should be fortified with the vitamins that you would find in normal milk.

It's especially difficult for me as I'm allergic to nuts, so am missing out on a pretty valuable source of vitamins/minerals there.

You would think that manufacturers who produce products specifically for the vegan market would know how important fortification is...

Pob
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Some of the dry mixes are fortified with iron and b vitamins. Adding Natex yeast extract to stuff would be a good source of b12 without the excess salt of other yeast extracts.