PDA

View Full Version : Teething AKA WE NEED SLEEP!

feline01
Nov 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM
My daughter has become a holy terror the last few days. She screams and gargles spit at the same time. I believe she is teething and we are tired! I bought homeopathic teething gel made by Hyland (I think) but it doesn't seem to help. One plus, her brother isn't teethihg :D...yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Other than slipping some whiskey into her organic soy formula ;) ???

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Lukewarm chamomile tea. (For all of you!!).

feline01
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:59 PM
You can give a 7-month old chamomile tea? Do I put it into her bottle?

Northern Lights
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
1. Sleep when you can. Forget cleaning until this passes :) Just what you wanted to hear!

2. Get one corner of a little face cloth wet and then stick it in the freezer. When it's frozen let her have it to chew and suck on. Alternatively you can buy plastic teething rings that you can freeze. My kids liked the towel thing better and it was readily available.

3. Gum massage can help. While you're singing and cuddling her gently massage her gums with your finger tips. I think it helps work though the tooth quicker.

4. Forget putting the whiskey in her bottle. You may as well enjoy it instead. It may not stop the screaming but you won't mind it as much! ;)

MzNatural
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM
You can give a 7-month old chamomile tea? Do I put it into her bottle?

I have done that with my daughter. Here is a link that discusses giving babies (http://www.parentsplace.com/babies/physical/qas/0,,250289_101320,00.html) tea. If you drink the tea she will get some of the benefits when she nurses. I have made a mixture of chamomile, fennel, and lavender and rubbed on her gums. I also soaked it in a towel so she could suck. I made a tea out of the herbs for myself and it seemed to help when she nursed. I also did the suggestions (1-3) that Northern Lights recommended. It has to be so tough being a working mom, teething baby. I remember those days. I co-sleep with my daughter I think that also helped during the teething blues. I got into the habit of giving her massages especially during teething time. She would suck on a wet towel or thumb while I massaged her with my free hand. I use an aromastone that gently warms the oil. I would add a drop of lavender or chamomile with the carrier oil.
I hope the teething flies by for your daughter.

A soothing bath with 1-2 drops of lavender oil can be relaxing. In the bedroom I use lavender essential oil. It does the job. She is so active. She rarely naps during the day but lavender helps her unwind. I make a spray bottle and I add essential oils. I call it her relaxing blend. I use it also. I add lavender, chamomile, and geranium. I spritz the bed and my daughter an hour before bedtime. She now eagerly looks forward to that and sticks out her face so I can spritz it. :) I use diffusers throughout the house.

superfly
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:35 AM
they really turn into little spit and mucus factories when teething, don't they?

the frozen washcloth is a great idea. we used it on our youngest and it worked just fine.

when i was teething, my dad used to stick his finger in a glass of Scotch, single malt, and rub it on my gums.
i still enjoy the taste of a fine single malt Scotch... ;)

tails4wagging
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Look into some painkillers of some sort. What do you take if you are in pain and is it suitable for babies, if so give her some.

I think this is a problem being vegan and using non-animal products, IS there a suitable alternative for a child in pain?.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:48 AM
There is also a chamomile remedy for kids - I think its something you put in the mouth, I'll try to remember what it's called.

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I bought some chamomile tablets yesterday at the health food store and we dissolved them into her pre-bedtime formula. She did seem much calmer last night and fell asleep more quickly. Unfortunately, I noticed this morning that the tabs have lactose :mad: in them. I'm debating if I should still use them since it does calm her down or if I should just chuck the product because of the lactose. It was nice getting some sleep, she only woke up once at 4am and her brother slept the whole night :D .

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:59 PM
A soothing bath with 1-2 drops of lavender oil can be relaxing. In the bedroom I use lavender essential oil. It does the job. She is so active. She rarely naps during the day but lavender helps her unwind. I make a spray bottle and I add essential oils. I call it her relaxing blend. I use it also. I add lavender, chamomile, and geranium. I spritz the bed and my daughter an hour before bedtime. She now eagerly looks forward to that and sticks out her face so I can spritz it. :) I use diffusers throughout the house.

Do you just put the essential oils in a spritz bottle or is a medium used like water as well? How much essential oils? I do want to try this. She's very hyper even before teething. Her poor brother just tries to sleep through all of her noise. I don't want to put them in separate cribs yet but I might have to if she continues with her "yargle"-a combination of a yell and a gargle of her spit. It's such a beautiful sound :rolleyes: .

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Sorry to sound 'uncommitted' here, but I would stick with the Chamomile remedy if you all get some sleep out of it................
However, Chamomile tea is vegan, and certainly works for me!!

Andie
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Feline,
If I were you (and I'm not, I don't have kids) I would use the tablets till I had time to buy something else. If the "something else" doesn't work I would go back to the tablets. It's my belief that medicine unlike food is not something we have readily available vegan options to choose from. Getting her out of pain and your family some sleep is important. I wish you the best. I admire anyone willing to do the work of parenting.

MzNatural
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Do you just put the essential oils in a spritz bottle or is a medium used like water as well? How much essential oils? I do want to try this. She's very hyper even before teething. Her poor brother just tries to sleep through all of her noise. I don't want to put them in separate cribs yet but I might have to if she continues with her "yargle"-a combination of a yell and a gargle of her spit. It's such a beautiful sound :rolleyes: .

‘Yargle’ what a cute description. :p
I use 5-8 drops per 18 ounces of water for babies. Shake up the bottle before you spray it. When I make a massage blend (for my daughter) I use 8 drops of lavender per 8 ounce. I make sure I shake well before using. I associate lavender with relaxation as well. I lightly spray the pillows (sometimes the bed sheets) each night.

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I bought some lavender dryer sachets from Trader Joe's but haven't used them yet. All it is is dried lavender blossoms in a mesh bag that you put into the dryer. I plan on drying our sheets and the baby sheets with that. I will try the essential oil spritz once I get around to buying the oils though I think I have some lavender on hand now.

Thanks!

MzNatural
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I bought some lavender dryer sachets from Trader Joe's but haven't used them yet. All it is is dried lavender blossoms in a mesh bag that you put into the dryer. I plan on drying our sheets and the baby sheets with that. I will try the essential oil spritz once I get around to buying the oils though I think I have some lavender on hand now.

Thanks!

Your welcome...:)

You can also use a scrap of cloth/napkin and add 2-4 drops of essential oil and toss in your dryer. I also do that with my vacuum bags. I have been thinking of getting the Rainbow vacuum cleaner. The dirt is trapped in water instead of bags or a container.

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Your welcome...:)
I have been thinking of getting the Rainbow vacuum cleaner. The dirt is trapped in water instead of bags or a container.

That sounds like a great idea! I hate emptying the vacuum gunk, it's vile and I know it must get back into the air :( . I think of my little ones lungs including the kitty's.

celtic
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:03 PM
My daughter has become a holy terror the last few days. She screams and gargles spit at the same time. I believe she is teething and we are tired! I bought homeopathic teething gel made by Hyland (I think) but it doesn't seem to help. One plus, her brother isn't teethihg :D...yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Other than slipping some whiskey into her organic soy formula ;) ???

http://www.calpol.co.uk/en/article.asp?id=118

This stuff really works. Calgel is a teething gel. Check the ingredients. Cant see any animal products, but like all pharmas, they will R&D on animals.
I think your kid comes first though. I have five youngsters; I empathise.

What is in the pack? Calgel Teething Gel is a yellowish-brown gel. It contains the active ingredients: Lidocaine (Lignocaine) hydrochloride 0.33 %w/w and Cetylpyridinium chloride 0.10 %w/w. It also contains: Sorbitol, xylitol, ethanol, glycerol, hydroxyethyl cellulose, PEG 40 hydrogenated castor oil, hydroxypolyethoxy dodecane, macrogol, saccharin sodium, levomenthol, citric acid monohydrate, sodium citrate dihydrate, pharmaceutical liquid flavour (containing Chamomile), E150 and purified water. Calgel Teething Gel is available in a 10 g tube.

Calpol is a god-send. This will knock them out for the night.

http://www.calpol.co.uk/en/article.asp?id=115

The only ingredient in this to query is glycerol, but many E422 are now not animal derived.

For the family's sake, I would not hesitate if the other stuff isnt working.
Because I guarantee you, this stuff does.