PDA

View Full Version : New to gardening - help!

heat13
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I am trying to start growing some of my own produce. We have a small townhouse with a very small deck/patio and no yard so I can't plant a real garden. Does anyone have any ideas of good plants/herbs that will grow in pots or small space? I am thinking tomatoes for sure! I am not a gardener-type person and clueless when it comes to that stuff, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Aradia
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Courgettes in a grow bag or large, low pots/containers.
Tomatoes and red peppers in pots.
Garlic in long trough containers ... you could try a few onions too.
Spinach and lettuce in large pots - keep them well mulched or they may bolt.
French beans and runner beans in large pots trained up a wigwam or trellis.
Tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets.
Chives, basil, coriander, parsley, etc in pots.

You can get wall hangers to hang pots off so you can maximise your space ... use the walls/fence as well as the floor.

Can you hang some window boxes? You can get masses in those. Don't forget to use sunny indoor windowsills too.

Happy planting :)

heat13
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much Aradia! That all sounds wonderful- I will get some hanging pots too- good idea!

john4703
Jun 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I grow all my potatoes in plastic barrels. I use dustbins with a few holes drilled in the sides near the base and get a great crop.
You can also grow strawberries in hanging baskets.

rantipole
Jun 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Most herbs will grow fine in pots. Be careful with rosemary and lavender, though, as they can get overwatered in pots quite easily.

Tomatoes and peppers will work, also. I've heard of many people having good luck with strawberries in pots.

Edible cactus (Opuntia, or prickly pear) is very easy to grow. Most edible/medicinal flowers grow well in pots. These include nasturtiums, marigolds, carnations, chamomile, and pansies.

Cheers,
rant

gemmer
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Yah, i'm new to gardening too! i've got a billion questions like...:

1. what is veganic soil and where can i get it? we have soil in our backyard , but we've got pets and i don't know all the stuff my mum has put in the soil over the years (like fish meal and horse manure!) so i want to avoid that.

2. what would grow well indoors if i planted it now? i've got 2 types of basil seeds, and would like to grow some tomatoes. can i grow tomatoes from the seeds of other tomatoes or do i need to get a baby tomato plant?

3. what kind of fruit can i grow indoors, as we are now with 2 months left of summer?

4. what do you use for keeping the soil healthy, vegetable compost?

i'll think of more! Thanks so much!:smile:

ichyBan
Aug 11th, 2008, 02:54 AM
does stuff grow indoors during the winter months?

rantipole
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM
does stuff grow indoors during the winter months?

Yes, if you buy plant grow lights and keep everything warm enough (generally 70F or so, but it depends on the species you are growing).

Cheers,
rant