PDA

View Full Version : Cranberries, yummy and good!

eve
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
From Dr Greger's latest newsletter:

Cranberries, one of only three commonly-eaten fruits native to North America, have been shown to exert a wide variety of health benefits including the prevention of urinary tract infections. In 2003, researchers pitted cranberries against three types of human cancers--breast, cervical and prostate--and the cranberries significantly restrained cancer cell proliferation. Now UCLA researchers are back, this time testing cranberries against a whole panel of 9 different human cancer cell lines.

Sprinkling just a few millionths of a gram of powdered cranberries on human oral, colon and prostate cancer cells brought their growth to a screeching halt, inhibiting their proliferation as much as 99.6%.

"What do you do with cranberries though (other than sauce, that is)? Check out http://vegweb.com/recipes/fruit/index-fruit-cranberries.shtml for
some healthy cranberry recipes. I'm sipping some blended into my flax
smoothie right now as I type."
Sounds good to me :D

mysh
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:51 AM
We make our own Cranberry sauce (with way too much sugar, and in the microwave, but still...), and it's way better than anything store-bought.
I also love dried cranberries in my cereal for breakfast, or as part of a trail mix - the tartness really works wonders against the sweetness of the other fruits.

Thanks for the research info and the further recipes!

tails4wagging
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:29 AM
can you buy them dried over there?. We seem to only get cranberry juice and cranberry sauce here in the UK.

It is common knowledge here about cranberries used against cystitis with success.

Mystic
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
I have never seen fresh cranberries in Australia - only dried ones that have corn syrup mixed in

eve
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
I buy dried American cranberries slightly sweetened with sugar.

eve
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Just by chance I came across some Russian cranberry juice in 1 litre cartons. I was attracted by them as it is so unusual in Woolworths supermarket to see the Cyrillic language on cartons. The English wording says that the juice is made from handpicked wild cranberries. I bought a carton and the juice tastes absolutely delicious. The rest of the English wording was not about the benefits of the juice, but about the cultural background of the consumption of cranberries in Russia. I intend going back to buy a few more cartons to put in my pantry.

Meanwhile I do believe that cranberries are highly nutritious.

tails4wagging
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Yes and they are very good for urinary tract infections as it stop the bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall, so it is a must for cystitis sufferers. Doctors recommend it.

cedarblue
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Just by chance I came across some Russian cranberry juice in 1 litre cartons. I was attracted by them as it is so unusual in Woolworths supermarket to see the Cyrillic language on cartons. The English wording says that the juice is made from handpicked wild cranberries. I bought a carton and the juice tastes absolutely delicious. The rest of the English wording was not about the benefits of the juice, but about the cultural background of the consumption of cranberries in Russia. I intend going back to buy a few more cartons to put in my pantry.

Meanwhile I do believe that cranberries are highly nutritious.

do you mean woolworths as in WOOLWORTHS??? in the UK woolworths is definately not a supermarket just a large everything kind of store and is affectionately known as 'woolies'.

cranberries are really good for you, as tails said, they are excellent for urinary infections - drink it daily as a preventative measure too. although much commercially produced juice is high in added sugar :( which may not be evident from its tart taste.

cranberries are also good for prostate health, gents!! ;)

eve
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:54 AM
cedarblue: Woolworths here is not the American company, but Australian - the proprietors fortunately registered the name before the US company registered theirs! The store where I live sells food, though there is another one that is called BigW that sells clothing and garden products etc.

Thank you for the nutrition info.

Kiva Dancer
Dec 12th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I always thought cranberrys were native to US.

hmm... learn something new each day.

cedarblue
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
ocean spray have a recipe section for some cranberry ideas.

its not a vegan site but some of the recipes can be veganised.

http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/recipe/search.aspx