PDA

View Full Version : Flour

Aradia
Jun 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
When North American recipe books refer to "all purpose flour" ... how does that relate to the UK?

Is it plain flour? (ie, not bread flour, not self-raising flour)

ellaminnowpea
Jun 26th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I looked it up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour) and it says that theres a numbering system for different types of flour in France. The types are separated based on the amount of gluten/ protein. It says all-purpose flour here would be a 55 over there.

Poison Ivy
Jun 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
When North American recipe books refer to "all purpose flour" ... how does that relate to the UK?

Is it plain flour? (ie, not bread flour, not self-raising flour)

It's plain flour:)

Aradia
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Nice one, cheers! :D

tofuandpotatoes
Jun 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
it really doesn't matter. basically, plain flour. i use whole wheat flavor normally though, because its richer in protein and has more flavor. the only problem is the higher gluten level, and that it sometimes comes out thicker and dryer than the all-purpose flour would have.

Korn
Jun 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
What's 'plain flour'? ;)

Aradia
Jun 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Plain flour is basically the same as gurzle flour, but the green gurzle has all been rinsed away.

You can actually buy gurzle separately (not the green stuff though, just the pink variety). You can then add this gurzle to, say, bread flour which will give your bread a smooked element. I don't do this as it gives me worritle which, as I'm sure you know, isn't pleasant!

:p ;) ;) :dizzy:

Korn
Jun 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks. What's gurzle? :)