PDA

View Full Version : How would you write a vegan cookbook?

karenann33
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I was all set to order a couple of vegan cookbooks off amazon but changed my mind. Why because they don't meet my requirements. Seems those books use too many high priced meat/egg replacements or things I don't eat now like white flour or white sugar (could tell by reading the reviews).

Before going vegan I had a whole foods cookbook that I really liked. I'd love to see something similar to that but have it be vegan kwim?

Sooooo not that I'm anywhere close to this but I do love to cook how would one go about writing your own vegan cookbook for official publication? Do the recipes have to be all made up or can you collect them? It just seems like there is a void in vegan cookbooks for people like me. KWIM?

Just curious. Obviously at the moment I'm going to have to just make my own converting old recipes or just gathering others off the internet.

Thoughts?

Kitteh
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hmm... obviously you can't just take other ppl's recipes and put them in your book. I do think there would be a way to take a non-vegan recipe, veganise it and then add it to your book. You may still have to mention where you got the orig.

I guess if you have things you cook at home you can write up official recipes for them.

Good luck!

Risker
Jun 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM
You can use other peoples recipes, just alter it enough that it's not obviously a copy. Write down recipes as you make them (even if you are making them from another recipe as then you can use your own words and make it to your own taste/quantity). If you're any good at photography take a few photo's of the final product.

Something I'd definately suggest is to add measurements in multiple formats, not just the one you use. So if you're measuring flour in cups also add the equivalent measurements for grams and ounces. Same with heat, use Farenheit, Centigrade and Gas mark. Along the same lines I'd avoid using hard to obtain ingredients or ingredients only available in specific countries (if you're going to do this then suggest alternatives).

mariana
Jun 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Actually I've seen quite a few cookbooks lately that use recipes from other cookbooks...however, they always say something like "This is my favorite recipe from Veganomicon..." and they may have to get permission from the author of that recipe (I'm not sure). You could also get recipes from friends and family (if they agree to it)--I've also noticed a lot of recipes that say something like "These are my Aunt Alice's famous brownies..."

I would second Risker and suggest including lots of photos (if you're not a good photographer, you could always ask a friend or relative who is to take pics for you) because it seems like cookbooks with lots of pictures sell better--I know I prefer them.