PDA

View Full Version : Global food crisis

eve
Jun 27th, 2008, 06:46 AM
'Contrary to the opinion of many, June's Food Summit actually did something. It signaled the beginning of the end for the multilateral system as we know it. Over the next six months the food emergency - and the international institutions designed to address it - could get worse.'

Above para is from http://www.etcgroup.org/en/materials/publications.html?pub_id=698 - an ETC Group publication.

steven1222
Jun 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
In Rome, governments opted for a mythical "techno-fix" led by agribusiness in collaboration with the Gates Foundation and other philanthro-capitalists. These "klepto-mandates" are usurping the multilateral system. There is also a clear power shift away from the much-maligned Rome-based agencies to the U.N. in New York and the Bretton Woods institutions in Washington
This looks like code talk for "We're going to force GMOs and dairy products down the throats of hungry people." I wish they would realize that GMOs and dairy could only make famines more severe.

eve
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:14 AM
This looks like code talk for "We're going to force GMOs and dairy products down the throats of hungry people." I wish they would realize that GMOs and dairy could only make famines more severe.
How on earth do you make that connection?

steven1222
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
How on earth do you make that connection?

It is unclear to me whether "that connection" is between the article and GMOs/dairy or between GMOs/dairy and famine.

If you are referring to why I connected the article to GMOs and dairy:
Mythical techno-fix = false promises that genetic engineering will end world hunger
led by agribusiness = GMOs and hormone-modified dairy supported by large corporate farms
Philanthro-capitalists = People who pretend to care about humanitarian needs but really are looking for an excuse to help big business
Power shift to U.S. agencies = Shift of power to supporters of genetic engineering

If you are referring to how GMOs and dairy can cause famine:
GMOs are usually overpriced, require expensive pesticides/fertilizer, are sensitive to change, or are not designed for hot climates (where most famines have been). Simply sending poor people free genetically engineered food without effective future planning would harm both the environment and future generations of people in the recipient countries.
Dairy increases a human's need for energy and calcium by enlarging the body's inner structures. This makes people more susceptible to the effects of poor harvests.