PDA

View Full Version : Microwave ovens

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

cvC
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM
The article at the following link reflects and contains photographs from "The Message from Water":

http://www.wellnessgoods.com/messages.asp

This one also refers to Russian research:

http://www.rense.com/general69/water.htm

archaeopteryx
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I remember reading somewhere or other that a kind of ice forms at cellular levels within our bodies due to the high pressures within our cells. Crystals called, ice 6. Perhaps we are all filled with "snowflakes".

Geoff
Apr 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
This is as high tech as we get. We boil up a big kettle (rescued from the ruins of a children's home in Swansea in the early 70's) and fill two thermos flasks, which supplies the day's hot water.)

foxytina_69
Apr 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM
lol tigerlily.

well i hope its not true, because i always boil my tea/coffee water in the microwave now.

aubergine
Apr 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Wow. Geoff, I'm very impressed. Seriously.

aubergine
Apr 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
As I'm living with my parents I use their microwave to heat up my porridge in the morning and that's about it.

When I get my own house, it'll be heated up on an Induction Hob.

tabitha
Apr 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
We all eat at different times. I use the microwave ALL the time:(

Tiggerwoo
Apr 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I hate microwaves........ they nuke the food, make it taste horrid and destroy all the nutrients. Plus the fact there have been rumors of the radiation and damage it can do to all living creatures.

My colleagues at work think I am mad as we only have microwaves there and when I work a late shift, I won't use the microwave but bring in my slow cooker, full to the brim with some yummy freshly prepared dish.

ravenfire
Apr 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I got rid of my microwave a few years back and don't miss it at all. I just reheat leftovers either on the stovetop or in the oven depending on what it is.

speedylemons
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:09 PM
You know, this is the first time i've even though about the potential dangers of microwave usage. :eek: Hmm. This sounds like it would be risky, but then again, i use a microwave for lots of things.. it just makes it easier than starting up the stove, especially since i pay for all the utilities here. yikes! I guess then as soon as i am able to i'll try to cut down on it.

Cherry
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't own a microwave and don't want to...

however:

a) The sample size of the experiment is 1! Not really huge.
b) The plants are in different sized bottles.
c) The microwaved water plant looks as though it was watered with more water than the other plant - overwatering is a big cause of plant death/suffocation.

I would agree with Rob. Microwaved pure water = hotter pure water :)

Cherry
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
oh, and d) people aren't plants :D and I don't agree with testing on other species :D

Hemlock
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
We're all gonna die in a few years time when the polar icecaps melt anyway so I'm going to start drinking, smoking, taking up dangerous sports and microwaving everything I eat (not icecream):eek:

Enchantress
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I don't know, microwaved ice cream could be pretty tasty. I always like Swedish Glace Chocolate ice cream best when it's melted anyway.

insubordination
Apr 19th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I also gave away my microwave about 5 years ago. Find I don't need it at all. You can heat most things on a stove top.

Of course, I have a mobile phone. Life's confusing, ain't it?

snaffler
Apr 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM
On the subject of microwaves I have never scene a use for them, enough stuff in life is must be now, rush, rush, cant wait and all that bollocks.....what ever happened to take it easy and chill.....if you got to eat quick food then eat fruit no nuclear heated crap.

Very anti microwave something for the junk food generation.

chickendude
May 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yea, I say rather than spend a hundred some dollars on a microwave, take a five dollar bill to your local farmer's market and get yourself a variety of fruits. Eat them, plant the seeds, and you've got a self-sustaining panoply of fast food. Then use the hundred bucks you saved to buy yourself a ton of tofutti cuties.

Pob
May 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I pretty much only use a microwave to cook my porridge or reheat my leftovers or soup for lunch. This is at work - there isn't a conventional oven so it's either that or only cold food.

Ara
May 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
I'd been brought up without a microwave, and never had a problem with it - things cooked in the oven taste a lot nicer anyway! Jacket potato's for example! Then when i moved into my current house with my friends two appeared in our kitchen :s i only ever use it for defrosting things like chilli or soup that i've made and put in the freezer, then suddenly decided i want to eat it noooow. When i'm at work and in the kitchen we make everything in the microwave, it's minging, especially when they try and cook scrambled eggs in it - eeeuch. I feel sorry for the old people, it can't be nice when we serve them a plate full of that!

TofuFooYung
May 7th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Wasn't the safety of microwaves questioned when it was destroying nutrients in mothers milk when women used to warming the bottles up in the microwaves?

My MIL always uses the microwave. She'll reheat something over and over again in there and it really turns me off my dinner :-( Have to keep reminding her not to do it without sounding like an ungrateful snot! Give me a plate of raw carrots over a nuked soy patty anyday!

TofuFooYung
May 7th, 2006, 02:05 AM
When i'm at work and in the kitchen we make everything in the microwave, it's minging, especially when they try and cook scrambled eggs in it - eeeuch. I feel sorry for the old people, it can't be nice when we serve them a plate full of that!

Uuuuh I know that smell! Microwaved scrambled eggs... VOMIT! I think the smell is nature's way of 'seriously, don't even think of eating this'.

speedylemons
May 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'm going to start cutting back on the microwave usage.

As for the microwaved scrambled eggs.. i second the VOMIT. I can't stand it when people do that, it just seems like it wouldn't really cook them if they WERE serious about eating them. gag. gag. gag. gag. PROJECTILE VOMITING.

Mr Flibble
May 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
microwaves are our friends :)

Normal ovens met the same hysterical mistrust as microwaves did when they were introduced - people used to think they would get electricuted eating food cooked in something powered by electricity.

As for the terribly scientific experiment in the first link, abondoning basic questions such as how it was conducted you only need to look at the rest of rense.com to figure out what crap it is ;)

Risker
May 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think your underestimating the risks that we face from microwave ovens, when I'm done typing this post I'm going to throw mine out.

Once that's done I'll throw out all the rest of my electronic items, wrap myself in kitchen foil and bubblewrap and sit in the corner of a mattress-padded room sobbing quietly to myself.

Mr Flibble
May 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Bubblewrap :eek:

Plastic is bad mm'kay ;)

If i cared *that* much about electricity usage i'd be reading a book by candlelight right now not posting on the interweb, but it's probably worth mentioning that microwaves are generally more efficient than conventional ovens. I'd rather warm a cup of soya milk in the cup i'm gonna drink it from than hafta heat up a pan that's just going to cool again, then waste water by washing it up.