PDA

View Full Version : Microwave ovens

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

speedylemons
May 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
aghhh.. true true true. So people were actually suspicious of the conventional oven when it first came out??

I agree that i would rather just use the microwave than start up the stove, use a pan, then wait for it to warm up, cook my stuff, wash all that, etc...

I'm all over the place!!!!!! I can't decide! I think i'll just do the same thing risker plans to do. ;):D

Conrad
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:31 AM
kill your microwave
do it now

Cumin
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Agreed. I got ours out of the house about 4 years ago when I read that they had never actually been tested for safety before being sold to the masses.
I'd rather wait 15 mins for real food.

indianvegan
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM
What is microwave? An unnatural way !!

I never bought it nor ever thought to buy.

Manish Jain

vegan1969
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
fortunately i don't use one and will not in the future, i use my oven for cooking larger amounts of food and a small toater oven for smaller amounts of food, thnx for the info Korn

dreama
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I used to be totally dependant on my microwave oven. Then I read about how unhealthy they are so I got rid of mine. I use the space that the microwave was to put all my pans and things. I have less problems then I thought I would. I also got rid of my deep fat frier and got a steamer.

paulvegan
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
try not to use them

chickendude
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
What exactly is so unhealthy about them? I assume there's a microscopic amount of radiation that gets into your food, and I suppose it probably kills the enzymes and such. I mean, I try not to use the microwave, but I'm not 100% sure why I'm trying not to use it.

Mr Flibble
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
they're evil - don't even try to use science or logic to justify it!

paulvegan
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
the friends i live with use them for every thing even to cook peas,iask u 5 mins in a steamer is it that hard no, maby thats why i do most the cooking.*rant rant rant* sorry

RedWellies
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
What exactly is so unhealthy about them? I assume there's a microscopic amount of radiation that gets into your food,.
I seem to recall it mutates the food particles into something that isn't food! Milk was one of the worst affected. I'm not easily scared by most "scare stories" but I got rid of my microwave years ago.

Juice
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
My microwave died over a year ago, and I never bothered to replace it. I really don't need one for anything.

Yogini
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this one. I have one, but I don't cook with it. I occasionally reheat something. That's reheating, not cooking. And by occasionally, I mean maybe twice a month.

Actually, I only have one because my mother insisted on buying it for me. I would probably do just fine without it.

veggiepark
Apr 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I re-heat food and pop corn in a microwave. I'm considering buying a rice cooker and pressure cooker( for dried beans).

I read the article on microwave oven from wikipedia, which addresses the health concerns associated. According to said article(s) the primary concerns with health and saftey were Uneven heating of foods, if microwave is the primary cooker then bacterica could possibly not be destroyed by uneven cooking. Re-heated, refrigerated or frozen foods wouldn't be as a concern due to them already being cooked. B12 degration was found in a Japanese study to occur at about 30 to 40 % not extremly differing from conventional cooking (stove, oven). Also the primary food sources tested for the B12 degration were of animal based (meat, dairy), not something vegans worry about. Other nutrients had no noticable degration and no toxicity was detirmined with any of the foods.

I feel microwaves are safe if the food is cooked properly with the proper microwave cookware and is refrigerated correctly. Other than some B12 degration, in which most vegans, controversly or not, are supposed to take supplement anyhow, I find no drastic degration of nutrions or toxic saftey to be an issue.:)

piggy
Apr 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i only do baked potatoes in my flatmate's microwave, because it's a quick meal, ready in 10 min, compared to an hour at least in en electric oven. apart from the time factor, i dislike using the conventional oven for a single potato because it uses so much more energy thyan a microwave. considering all the controversy on on the effects of EM radiation on the human body, personally i'd like to steer clear of all of it...better safe than sorry :) it's difficult avoiding cellphones, wireless etc though these days
also, having read that the microwave actually acts as a faraday cage, is a bit disturbing to me...i don't want industrial appliances in my home if not absolutely necassary..

button
May 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
No microwave here! My best friend thinks I'm nuts for not having one.

boombanda
May 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I have a toaster oven if I don't feel like heating up the stove. It took me a while to adjust to not having a microwave, though.

pavotrouge
May 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I have a giant old microwave, but don't really use it for cooking.
I only use it for reheating when I only want a small portian (and this rarely ever happens ^^) and to fasten thawing (which I also doesn't happen often as I don't have a freezer).

BlackCats
May 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
'I seem to recall it mutates the food particles into something that isn't food!'

I heard that, I don't have one but everyone else I know does. I used to have one at my Mum's and the only thing I ever really used it for was heating up baked beans, but after I heard that about them I have never used one.

I always think that restaurants and pubs probably use them all the time for keeping food warm though so probably I do still eat microwaved food without being aware.

RedWellies
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I seem to recall it mutates the food particles into something that isn't food!
I can't find the link that I posted elsewhere on the forum but it was something along these lines (http://www.cam.net.uk/home/aaa315/healing/microwaves.htm).

cobweb
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I used to use one every day :eek: . I'm horrified to think that I did, and even warmed up baby food in it :( .

The point above is even more horrifying, because I know a lot of people who use them for 'meals' that I wouldn't even consider 'food' in the first place..........add to that a session in a plastic dish inside a microwave :eek: - doesn't bear thinking about :confused: .

cobweb
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I'm amazed, btw, at the way the poll answers stand :eek:

Risker
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I'm yet to see a report from a reliable source that states that there are any real health implications to using a microwave, until I do I'm keeping mine and continuing to use it for heating food (Not cooking though, they're rubbish for that.)

I wouldn't trust anything written on that site, especially not after reading some of the other articles.

Anyway, I thought everyone was supposed to have moved on from being worried about microwaves and mobile phones and we should all be worried about wi-fi now? :)

Cumin
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM
try here - this gives an interesting history about the German and Russian contributions:
http://www.zeitenschrift.net/magazin/1-microwave.ihtml

It's quite different from the one here:
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/2005/4/2005_4_48.shtml
which claims the an American invented them:D

Risker
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
try here - this gives an interesting history about the German and Russian contributions:
http://www.zeitenschrift.net/magazin/1-microwave.ihtml

Again, look at the other stories on that site, it appears to be some sort of conspiracy theory website. Although it's an interesting story it offers no evidence to back up the claims it makes. It also doesn't help the case that the article is essentially an advert trying to get you to buy a book.