PDA

View Full Version : Microwave ovens

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Korn
May 10th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Hello friends, here's some bad news for those of you that rely on microwave ovens for cooking...

From http://ighawaii.com/naturally/newsletter/micro.html :

"Russian researchers reported a marked acceleration of structural degradation leading to a decreased food value of 60 to 90% in all foods tested. Among the changes observed were:
Deceased bioavailability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics factors in all food tested."

From http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0ISW/2001_June/75178712/print.jhtm7l
"Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food are reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down. "

From "Focus on Homocysteine and the Vitamins Involved In Its Metabolism" by Christina Bolander-Gouaille:

"It has recently been found that microwave heating may destroy as much as 30-40% of the vitamin B12 content in food (Watanabe et al. 1998). Microwave heating is also found to destroy natural folates even faster than conventional heating to the same temperature. [...] About 50% of natural folates are destroyed by conventional cooking, even of short duration. Steaming seems to result in less degradation (McKillop et al. 2001). Prolonged conventional heating also destroys B6 and B12 (Kilshaw et al 1982)."

Korn
May 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Here is another article about microwaves, Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF) and B12. "Scientific studies have proven EMF's increase the instance rate of NTD's." (NTD = Neural Tube Defects, a birth defect (http://www.rfsafe.com/ntd_emf.htm ). Each B12 molecule is built around a cobalt atom. Cobalt itself is naturally magnetic with unusually high permeability to magnetic fields. Just like EMF, lack of B12 is also associated with NTD. Could it be that the reason Electro Magnetic Fields can cause birth defects is that it distorts / destroys B12? John Coates, who runs this site, lost a child born with NTD, writes that "when my wife was pregnant with Angel Leigh, she was sitting in front of a 2 way microwave radio system for long periods at a time." (http://www.rfsafe.com/journal-display-jid-8.html). I don't know what the difference between microwaves in microwave owens and microwaves in radio systems is, but I've seen warnings against using microwave owens for years, not only related to their effect on nutrients in food.

Veggie4Life139
May 10th, 2004, 11:55 PM
That REALLY stinks...my life depends on the microwave for cooking...what else can I do??? :confused:

Pooh
May 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM
How can your life depend on a microwave owen?

cedarblue
May 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
How can your life depend on a microwave owen?

maybe veggie4 doesn't have a regular stove?

Veggie4Life139
May 23rd, 2004, 06:14 PM
maybe veggie4 doesn't have a regular stove?
I do have a stove, and sometimes I use it, but I love vegetarian TV dinners and I'm very lazy, and if you've noticed, POOH, with microwaves all you have to do is punch in some numbers and wait for a while. :D

webster
May 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I love vegetarian TV dinners and I'm very lazy
Have you found many/any vegetarian TV dinners that are vegan? It seems like every single one I have looked at contains milk, cheese, or egg, so I have basically given up looking.

mattd
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM
I do have a stove, and sometimes I use it, but I love vegetarian TV dinners and I'm very lazy, and if you've noticed, POOH, with microwaves all you have to do is punch in some numbers and wait for a while. :D

You need to discover the joys of home cooking (using a microwave is NOT cooking). It's so relaxing, much tastier, and better for you.

Hi... "TV dinners" - what's that? Must be something American!
yeah, i'd imagine TV dinners are probably VERY american (we've perfected being lazy here). they just precooked fozen meals that you pop in the microwave and warm up. they're all pretty vile in my opinion.

Sabster
Jun 30th, 2004, 11:33 PM
There are plenty of vegan friendly convenience foods of the microwavable variety... they're also rather pricy .. running an average of $3+ a box. So, yeh they're out there.

I guess I should list a few... kind of forgot... Amy's makes a few that are vegan friendly (and the veg pizza is just ahhh good... even though it's oven friendly not microwavable )... and Ethnic Gourmet has a few (even though they also produce veg and non-veg varieties). And there's natural food stores and whole foods grocers that usually have things you can take home and reheat in the microwave. The later is going to depend on where you live. There are some burrito wraps out there too but they aren't that great.

I just don't think they warant the price in terms of quality. I'm usually about quality unless I'm really crunched for time. Another reason I don't eat out often... inflated prices... a product that's not that impressive or average.

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:50 PM
Toaster ovens are great. If you thaw out the frozen dinner in the refrigerator overnight, you can cook it in a toaster oven or regular oven in a short amount of time.... I have never owned a microwave. I know they are toxic. They emit toxic radiation! It makes sense if you think about how they heat food...

slinkyvagabond
Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:56 AM
I guess I should list a few... kind of forgot... Amy's makes a few that are vegan friendly (and the veg pizza is just ahhh good... even though it's oven friendly not microwavable .

Amy's soy cheese something or other entrée is sold at the campus convenience store, and I got uber uber excited...until I saw in the bottom front corner, "CONTAINS A MILK PROTEIN."

:mad:

uww27225
Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
It seems that a lot of Amy's products are suitable only for lacto-vegitarians. Though her black bean burrito is vegan and good. I did purchase her cheese-less frozen pizza, but I haven't had it yet.

Roxy
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I love the Amy's cheese-less pizza. It's kinda sweet and oh so good! Just so you know, Amy's also make a lot of non-frozen organic goods which are vegan, including vegan soups and chillis. These can be found with the canned goods in any decent supermarket.

uww27225
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I wish I would've known that the pizza was going to be on the sweet side before I made it. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Maybe that's why I didn't like it! *shrug* I have another one in the freezer, so maybe next time it'll be better since I'll know what to expect. :)

Panda
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I threw my microwave out the other day I haven't used it for months. and after reading enough articles about how bad it is I couldn't handle having one in the house.
My housemates weren't very impressed as they seem to depend on it.
Its for their own good. :)

wuggy
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Don't televisions emit radiation also?

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Yes...but they aren't used for "cooking" foods! I don't watch the Telly either... :)

wuggy
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
No, I could certainly live without one, but I am outnumbered by TV addicts!

Mystic
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Being a student and all, a microwave is certainly a necessary appliance in my kitchen. I cook my oatmeal in it, I cook my rice in it, I thaw out frozen bread in it, I heat up leftover dinner in it...I would starve without it.

My stove is electric, so it is hard to cook food nicely with it - and it is messier. I don't have time for mess. It is faster as well, which is a very important factor for me.

I would say that my microwave is the most used appliance in my kitchen, followed by my rice cooker (which I cook one-pot dhal and legume dishes in).

Unless I am making stir fry, when I have cooked vegetables, they too are microwaved. To make quick baked or roasted potatoes/pumpkin/sweet potato, I nuke them first, then stick them in a pre-heated oven. I just don't have time.

I am aware of the dangers of the microwave, but I suppose everything is dangerous these days - TV, mobile phones, smoking or passive smoking, being in the sun, going to the solarium, (apparently) eating non-organic or GMO food - not sure if I agree with that one tho - so I am choosing to not worry. I gotta eat don't I?!!!!

indianvegan
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I do not own it.

Manish

tails4wagging
Oct 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Those Owen and why does anybody want to microwave him??. (sorry could'nt risist that one!!! :D

Korn
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Ok.... :)

TheFirstBus
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Nope microwave ovens are not fun, not fun at all.

MzNatural
Oct 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I don't use it at all. I rarely use the cellular phone. I just keep it in case of emergencies. I don't watch television. I always buy organic.The only time I am on the computer is when I am working. I do work a lot.

Geoff
Oct 31st, 2004, 09:32 AM
Those Owen and why does anybody want to microwave him??. (sorry could'nt risist that one!!! :D

Huh?