PDA

View Full Version : Picnic food ideas

alisont
Jun 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I cant any threads about picnics.....

I need to take a picnic to an all day concert in 2 weeks time and am after ideas.....

Im thinking of salads, falafel, houmous and pittas/breadsticks, kettle crisps, got some frys sos rolls then maybe some muffins, 1 friends making a cake.

Anyone think of other ideas? Its for 3 people but its an all day festival so needs to be a good selection.

Risker
Jun 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Fruit?

emmapresley
Jun 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
carrots..absolutely NO celery.

ellaminnowpea
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm guessing you wont have refridgeration and it'll be hot out? Are they omnis or veg*ns?

Maybe you can try carrots, red bell pepper, celery, and broccoli to dip into hummus. If you make your own hummus, be sure to add lemon to help "preserve" it.

Maybe make tiny wraps/ hand rolls w/ rice paper (like sushi).

And muffins is an awesome idea! Maybe do something without frosting (to avoid it melting in the heat). I'd do chocolate/ carob and banana carrot.

bryzee86
Jul 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Maybe make tiny wraps/ hand rolls w/ rice paper (like sushi).

Oh yeah! Or some fruit ones instead (mango spears and passionfruit is good).

cobweb
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM
pizza cut into 'fingers'

cheezly cheeze straws

yum
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
potato salad
coleslaw
'egg'mayo sandwhichs
tofu weiners
pineapple and 'cheese' on sticks (might be slightly dangerous if you sit on one)
dip and crisps
alpro soya choc desserts (don't need to be in fridge!)

mmmm i'm feeling hungry now

pavotrouge
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
sushi, onigiri
everything in phyllo
pakora, samosas
pasta salads

... what can't be eaten at a picnic?!

alisont
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Wow brilliant ideas folks:)

Yes will take strawberries, mini wraps and pizzas will be good, and Indian snacks, dips, was thinking be fun to do scheeze and pineapple on sticks, colslaw, have no idea how to make sushi - never tried it before? Peppers etc will be great for with dips.

Tofu weiners i can get in Waitrose.

I will take food in a coolbag and will take ice blocks and frozen water so it will stay cool.

They might have food we can eat for sale there as its a levellers all day festival but not sure. I wont eat vegan burgers if its cooked by meat.

1 friend is vegan and other omi but will cook and bring vegan food and only eats vegan in our company:)

Anyone ever made a vegan tofu quiche? Wondering how hard/easy those are to make as sounds nice?

Thanks for all the great ideas!

alisont
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM
carrots..absolutely NO celery.

I totally agree:D

Cobweb have you got a recipe for scheeze/cheezly straws sounds good:)

ellaminnowpea
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I think jambo made a broccoli quiche on the "post a picture of good vegan food you've eaten" thread. I'm assuming it has some tofu in there, as well.

The indian snacks sound really good. I'd kill for some of those samosas and pakoras you've mentioned.

RubyDuby
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
^^ yes, theres a link to the ppk recipe for it too!
made me want to make one.

journey
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Anybody got some ideas of what foods I can take to share to a potluck cook-out, bring a dish to share, several hours drive away (so it has to travel well in the car, may not be a lot of room for coolers cause I'm riding with others)? These are my, shall we say, less veg-friendly relatives, guaranteed to be a meat and dairy based bar-b-que, but they are family.

I normally would take 2 generous dishes to share, and assume that what I bring may be the only thing vegan appropriate for me to eat (and bring snacks for the drive as well). But I'm having trouble thinking of what will travel well for such a long distance, possibly without a cooler, be really delicious, look great, and yet be inexpensive enough that I can make a huge portion to share without breaking the bank.

I'm thinking maybe a rice dish, with ice packs stuffed in beside it. Any other favorites? (also has to be easy to make, I'm unfortunately not yet the greatest cook)

harpy
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I would be a bit careful with rice if you're not sure you can keep it absolutely cool because it's a great medium for growing micro-organisms. Maybe couscous or pasta would be safer as a salad base in the circs?

Have you thought about making vegetable kebabs/skewers wrapped in foil and putting them on the barbecue? I think this would work (though it would be good to get confirmation from a barbecue expert!), and presumably the foil would eliminate the cross-contamination risk. I imagine there would be no health risk even if the veg got a bit warm in transit, and they might look colourful when unwrapped.

Ruby Rose
Jul 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
How about using orzo pasta - it's got that rice-y shape, but doesn't carry the same food poisoning risk if it gets to room temperature on the journey.

Cookies might be a good way to go - easy to bake and transport, and no-one ever says no!

And how about pinching vegcurry's idea from the bento thread and make sosmix snails? Frozen pastry rolled out and covered with sosmix and mushrooms, then rolled up like a carpet and cut into slices (so they look like danish pastries) and cooked. They look super impressive.

treehugga
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Potato salad & garlic bread are usually my contribution or cous cous salad and tropical fruit - just cut it up when you arrive.

journey
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Oh, great ideas. I didn't know that rice has more risk if not refridgerated than pasta (thanks, you may have saved me from some trouble there.)
But cookies, garlic bread and several of the other ideas sound good too...

Ruby Rose
Jul 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM
http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/B.cereus.html

(if you want to read about food poisoning!)