PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Barley

sugarmouse
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
All I know about it is that its good to put in stuff, and it is not as good for you as pot barley.But I doint like pot barley.
Is this stuff bad for you then?
I am wanting to start using it as a pasta substitute.

cedarblue
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
you can use it as a grain sub for rice, couscous, etc, and i guess pasta. lovely nutty flavour :)

i love to put it in a good veggie casserole baked for about 3hrs in the oven, it swells up a lot though so you need lots of liquid.

its not as nutritionally good as pot which hasn't been polished like pearl barley has - but i still absolutely love the stuff!! in fact i bought some this morning for a veg casserole for sunday lunch...mmmmmm

sugarmouse
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have been putting it in soup I guess its better for you than wheat based stuff :) I bought a truck load of it cause it was cheap lol. My hamster seems to liek it too

Herbsman
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Polished grains aren't "bad for you" but compared to whole grains they are crap, nutritionally, because they lack the fibre and vitamins that whole grains have.

cedarblue
Jul 7th, 2008, 09:01 AM
mmm i made my barley veg casserole yesterday - and with the rain it was the right choice of dinner with brocolli, savoy cabbage and roasties.