PDA

View Full Version : Banana cake

cornishdreadhead
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
...aka "arg help me I can't stop baking!" Staying at my mum's house for a few weeks and she has...get this...an oven!! So I've been on a right baking flex for the last week, I made those double choc and orange muffins the other day, they were phat :cool:
Here's a recipe for banana cake I just tried out, it's AMAZING:

You need:
6 ripe bananas
Half a cup of melted vegan margarine (I used vitalite and it worked well)
Half a cup of brown sugar
One and a half to two cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Here's what to do:
Peel and mash the bananas. Add the melted margarine and mix thouroughly.
Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT 2 tablespoons of the sugar and all of the flour.
Once all the ingredients have been mixed in well, start to add the flour, half a cup at a time, until your batter is a paste like consistency.
Pour this into a slightly oiled pan and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top.
Bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 45mins-1 hour, making sure the top is golden brown when you take it out.
Don't forget to lick all the spoons and wash up :o

Ruby Rose
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Oh this sounds sooo good! I want to make it, but my bananas are all greeny-yellow and not at all ripe yet. How about adding some choc chips in there? Maybe some walnuts too?

cornishdreadhead
Jul 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm choc chips, NOW you're talking!!
the bananas i used were well green but still it worked fine!! just mash em up really well
! :-)

bryzee86
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
ARGH! vitalite isn't vegan yet!:
http://www.vegansociety.com/newsroom/index.php?/archives/8-Vitalite.html

twinkle
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
...Staying at my mum's house for a few weeks and she has...get this...an oven!! ...

Hee, this made me laugh out loud.

I can't imagine not having an oven!

cornishdreadhead
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:02 PM
ARGH! vitalite isn't vegan yet!:
http://www.vegansociety.com/newsroom/index.php?/archives/8-Vitalite.html

!!!!! arrrrrrrrg how arude, it said "dairy free" and I read the ingredients and nothing seemed amiss. :confused::mad:
NOW IM MAD
But im glad you told me or I would have carried on buying it...:undecided:

cornishdreadhead
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hee, this made me laugh out loud.

I can't imagine not having an oven!

Yeah where me and my flatmate used to live, our oven broke and we could t afford a new one, or to get it fixed or anything, it was rubbish. I got so sick of noodles and pasta and stir frys :mad:

Ruby Rose
Jul 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I have no oven either, and no prospect of one for many months - we're renovating our house, and for the last year we've been cooking with a plug in electric ring and a toaster oven. But cakes come out gooood in a toaster oven, y'know!

bryzee86
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
!!!!! arrrrrrrrg how arude, it said "dairy free" and I read the ingredients and nothing seemed amiss. :confused::mad:
NOW IM MAD
But im glad you told me or I would have carried on buying it...:undecided:

I did that once, too. It's the Vitamin D wot am teh culprit. Stupid Vitalite.

cornishdreadhead
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
What a bunch of quims....time for a strongly-worded letter!

Linxie
Jul 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I might give this a go as I am going on a day out/pic nic (in the rain!) on Saturday :D

Linxie
Jul 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Oooh quick question....

Do I need to melt the marg then measure it out

Or measure it them melt it!?

May not make a difference but just checking!

cornishdreadhead
Jul 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I measured it then melted it, but it doesn't really make a difference I don't think...although if you melted then measured it would be a bit more accurate I guess! :-)

Linxie
Jul 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I made this last night but it doesn't really taste very banana-y. Think I will use much riper bananas next time. It looks good though :)

cornishdreadhead
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thats a shame, mine tasted REALLY banana-y, maybe a little too much even....although the bananas I used were massive....

Linxie
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
It has still gone down well with the ladies at work :smile: I'll try more bananas next time and maybe some brazil nuts. Thanks for the recipe :D

cornishdreadhead
Jul 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
's alright, good luck with your next one! :-)

cornishdreadhead
Jul 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have no oven either, and no prospect of one for many months - we're renovating our house, and for the last year we've been cooking with a plug in electric ring and a toaster oven. But cakes come out gooood in a toaster oven, y'know!

Ooooh, what's a toaster oven? Is that an american thing? :confused: