PDA

View Full Version : dairy free bread in US

Pages : [1] 2 3

veggiemaya
Jul 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
does anyone know of a good brand of dairy free whole wheat bread that I can get in the US?

missbettie
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I get the SaraLee brand, I think its the muliti grain one...but i'm not sure...not sure how good it is for you though...but bread is so freaking hard to find.

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
i get kirkland whole grain bread from costco. also i'm pretty sure whole foods brand ww is ok.
I know I've bought Rudy's organic, but not sure if it was plain whole wheat.

veggiemaya
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
cool, thanks ladies! i will look in those.

it definitely is a pain to find bread!

missbettie
Jul 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
kirkland is okay? that would be nice, its always good to buy in bulk for me.

xrodolfox
Jul 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Read the labels! That said, I usually get Zingerman's. I have no idea which one. The farm bread? I don't remember.

missbettie
Jul 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
^ i seriously sit in the bread isle for a half an hour reading labels, its nice to know peoples go-2s. I've yet to find any tofu dog or veggieburger buns that weren't some health store brand...

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
kirkland is okay? that would be nice, its always good to buy in bulk for me.

i'm pretty sure (although there is sugar)

ingredients:
whole wheat flour, water, whole grains (oats, wheat flakes, barley, bulgar wheat), wheat gluten, brown sugar, sugar, Contains 2% or less of the following: yeast, sunflower seeds, cornmeal, inulin (chicory root fiber) salt, sugarcane fiber, calcium sulfate, soybean oil, resistant corn starch, raisin juice, vinegar, soy flour, cultured corn syrup solids, wheat bran, guar gum, ferrous fumarate, soy lecithin.

missbettie
Jul 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
^ oh and look it even has a little bit of Chicory root in it. lol :D

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
and... raisin juice??? not grape juice. they dehydrated those and squeezed out the remaining liquid? :confused: :p

veganwitch
Jul 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I've also used Rudi's breads, but I don't think there is a whole wheat? Or that might be the one that has honey. I get the Flax, Oat Nut, or rarely White.
I would love it if I could get Whole Foods breads but the labels always say enzymes and how do you know if the enzymes are animal sourced or not? One of these days when I have time I'll either call or ask in their bakery, but it's the enzymes that are the only questionable ingredients I think.

RubyDuby
Jul 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
i'm such a bad vegan. you're right there are enzymes in it. i'm reading the crushed wheat, millet and oat bag right now... didn't even cross my mind. let me know if u find out pleeez.

veganwitch
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
don't beat yourself up RubyDuby...maybe they are vegan enzymes. It's like those Late July crackers that I stopped eating b/c they started listing enzymes on the box, but when I saw that Pangea and Vegan Essentials were carrying them I knew they were okay. Guess I'll have to do the legwork on this one though...I'll keep you posted.

bryzee86
Jul 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
wow your bread has so much crap in it.

missbettie
Jul 9th, 2008, 03:22 AM
^ ya its disgusting.

veggiemaya
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:32 AM
^ i seriously sit in the bread isle for a half an hour reading labels, its nice to know peoples go-2s. I've yet to find any tofu dog or veggieburger buns that weren't some health store brand...

haha...i do that too! one day i must have spent 15 minutes going back and forth reading labels. what a process!

missbettie
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
^ its actually kinda embarrassing... thats why it rocks to know what other people get too

Fuhzy
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
wow your bread has so much crap in it.

Well it's $2.50 a loaf for 'crap' whole wheat bread, compared to $4 a loaf for 'pure' whole wheat bread.

My wallet says I can make the ingredient sacrifice...

matt35mm
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM
See if you have any local bakeries. I generally go with the kind of bread that has just the simple ingredients from a local bakery. Or Trader Joes.

bryzee86
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well it's $2.50 a loaf for 'crap' whole wheat bread, compared to $4 a loaf for 'pure' whole wheat bread.

My wallet says I can make the ingredient sacrifice...

Okay sarcasmo.

I was just saying that even the cheap bread that I go or has about 10 ingredients. The Organic one has about 6.

veganwitch
Jul 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
oops...above I said I used Rudi's but I got it confused w/ Barowsky's. Rudi's also has enzymes. Barowsky's is vegan, well some of them are....others have honey. There are a couple of other brands I get w/ way less ingredients but I think they may just be local...When Pigs Fly and Borealis. The pig bread will ship within US but I don't know if anyone wants to go to that hassle. They have a chocolate bread that is more like dessert bread...it's very rich!

missbettie
Jul 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Okay sarcasmo.

I was just saying that even the cheap bread that I go or has about 10 ingredients. The Organic one has about 6.

lol sarcasmo. Hey we are just bitter okay?! a flipping loaf of vegan bread is like 6 bucks where as i could get a loaf of non vegan bread for 69 cents...same with all the organic foods, i don't know how they expect people to be organic and still be able to afford to eat, i for one can't, i can't buy any oranic stuff...

I always wander through the market, and think to myself..."and we wonder why we are all fat, all the healthy crap is so flipping expensive where as i can buy a frozen pizza for a buck" STUPID!!!! :mad::p

fondducoeur
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
oops...above I said I used Rudi's but I got it confused w/ Barowsky's. Rudi's also has enzymes. Barowsky's is vegan, well some of them are....others have honey. There are a couple of other brands I get w/ way less ingredients but I think they may just be local...When Pigs Fly and Borealis. The pig bread will ship within US but I don't know if anyone wants to go to that hassle. They have a chocolate bread that is more like dessert bread...it's very rich!

Rudi's bread is vegan, except for a few products that contain honey. I have read this before, but looked it up again on their webpage. Additionally, I know that I read before that their enzymes in particular were definately not of animal origin and were vegan, but I can't find that part now. But anyway, they specifically say that their bread is vegan except for the honey ones.

I buy the ancient grain smelt bread, which I love. It is kind of hard though, so I usually toast it, but its delicious:)

Are Rudi's breads vegan?
Yes, Rudi's Organic breads are vegan with the exception of the following varieties that contain honey: Honey Sweet Whole Wheat, European Multigrain, Spelt Tortillas and Whole Spelt Tortillas

veganwitch
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
fondducouer, thanks for that info. It's great new's about Rudi's. That opens up a lot of options for me. Don't they also make burger buns and hotdog rolls??? This is exciting!

fondducoeur
Jul 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM
No problem:)
I buy the hamburger buns all the time (the whole wheat ones are great), but have never had the hotdog ones. I'm scared to try veggie hotdogs I think.