PDA

View Full Version : Vegannaise is so icky!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

KTeh
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I have a jar of Follow Your Heart's Vegannaise and when I tried it I found it had a horrible taste and even worse after-taste... really yucky to me.

But - out there in Vegan Blog Land there are so many delicious-looking recipes for sandwich fillings, potato salads, eggless salads, chickpea salads, etc. that I am so weary of trying! :undecided:

My question is: Should I just give FYH Vegannaise another chance or are there other brands that some of you have had better success with? I never was a fan of actual mayonnaise (used Miracle Whip instead), so I'm not concerned with taste-accuracy so much as not gagging when I put the stuff in my mouth... :P Thanks!!

horselesspaul
Jul 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Either your jar of Vegenaise or your taste buds were off..
Most people love the stuff.

missbettie
Jul 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
OMG!!!!! Veganaise is GOD!!!!! You got the one with the blue lid right?!?!?!?! please please please, take it back and tell them it tastes funny and get another jar and try it again!

what did you try it on?

I always hated mayonaise but when i tried veganaise, it was like the heavens opened!!

matt35mm
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Blue lid??

PURPLE!!!

veganwitch
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I love Vegennaise. I buy the purple lid. Definitely give it another chance. I speak from experience. The first time I tried it (think it was a green lid) I thought it might be spoiled b/c it really left a bad taste in my mouth. Then for some reason a long time later I tried it again and I loved it. I think it may have been that I hadn't had mayonnaise in so long and the vegennaise tasted so much like it that my taste buds were confused..lol. Having said that, I also buy Nayonnaise b/c my hubby prefers that.

missbettie
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM
mine has a blue lid... :p whats the purple one?

veganwitch
Jul 9th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Just came back from the fridge and found out I am out of vegennaise. Horrors! I think the purple is made with canola oil.

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Purple is grapeseed oil. C'est bon.

missbettie
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
hmmm i'll try it just for you matt.

missbettie
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
its actually sad i was going through like a jar every two weeks...gah!!!

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
hmmm i'll try it just for you matt.

Doing things for me will make you happy. If the whole world believed me when I say this, there would be naught but peace and harmony.

Yep.

Tori
Jul 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I could eat that stuff plain.

Tigerlily
Jul 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Me too Tori. I went through a jar in like 3-4 days (and I was the only one eating it)

Mahk
Jul 10th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Purple lid, grape seed, yup me too.

I once made it a point to try all three lids: green, blue, and purple. Other reviewers may have influenced/biased my decision, my test was not "blind". They did seem to have different amounts of what I would call tanginess, though.

Tigerlily
Jul 10th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I love them all.

Anything vegan, fatty, and creamy I love!

matt35mm
Jul 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM
A jar in 3-4 days?

Okay I don't love it that much. One jar lasts me... um... several months.

RubyDuby
Jul 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I think I've tried them all and don't see a difference... wasn't looking for a difference though and wouldn't say I have a professional palette... but vegenaise is YUMMY.

bryzee86
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Anything vegan, fatty, and creamy I love!

Well, I'm the first two anyway...

Tigerlily
Jul 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
:o :o

xrodolfox
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Veganaise is the best foodstuff ever invented/discovered/stolen from the gods. srsly. BEST. EVER.
If you didn't like your's, there are two possibilities, and one solution.

Possibility #1: Something is wrong with you. Perhaps you are ill and can't taste. Or perhaps you don't know what good is when it sits on your tongue.
Possibility #2: Something is wrong with that specific jar of Veganaise. Perhaps it went sour via transport. Perhaps that batch wasnt' refridgerated correctly. Perhaps some microbes also thought it was tasty.

Solution: Mail me the jar. I will personally do a random taste taste on it. I will put it randomly on my sandwiches, and occassionally eat it out of the jar without any chasers. I will even put it on vegan un-chicken burgers with a slice of tomatos.

If the jar is a bad batch, you can confidently expect me to dispose of the substance responsibly. If it is a good batch, I will make sure to let you know.

Just PM me and I will send you my address. I look forward to good scientific inquiry!
-rpl

horselesspaul
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Veganaise is the best foodstuff ever invented/discovered/stolen from the gods. srsly. BEST. EVER.

Indeed.
I met the FYH man a couple of times and had dinner with his lovely family in LA. I pretty much told him the same thing.
I still hope to get him to sell it here in the UK.

missbettie
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
wait...you guys don't have it in the UK?

Gorilla
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM
nope, we can't get Vegannaise here

horselesspaul
Jul 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Fwiw it's 'Vegenaise' but we still can't buy it, regardless of spelling.

missbettie
Jul 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I think i like it better the way IIII speeell ittt.... :p

aw i feel so sad for you.