PDA

View Full Version : Snack food scenario

Pages : [1] 2

runtheroad
Jul 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
OK picture the scene....

You're in a generic city centre.
You need to grab some lunch.
You don't have time to sit down and eat.
You're vegan.

What are your snack options?

I know there's a vegan sandwich thread, but this thread is more about finding something quick when you don't know much about the city you're in.

Do you try to locate the nearest Holland & Barratt?
Do you look for homous sammiches in Boots/Sainsburys?
How would you deal with this situation?

Est
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Not the healthiest option, but I'd buy a grab bag of Walkers ready salted crisps from a newsagent if I was really short on time!

Also, if you boycott the meat products rather than the company, you could get a bag of fruit from McDonalds.

I try to have some Lara Bars in the house so that I can chuck one in my bag/pocket and eat it on the go if I know I'm going to have difficulty finding lunch food. I think they're much nicer than Nak'd bars even though they're a bit more expensive - and they're very filling (and delicious flavours). Funky Raw is doing them for £1.09 per bar at the moment: http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20&zenid=2e1291044da45a66950edbe7374fe86c

I'd be interested to hear everyone else's ideas for fast lunches on the go though cos I'm not always that organised!

philfox
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Holland and Barretts is usually our choice but only because the OH loves their porkless pies! Also in Hull we are lucky as most chip shop chips are cooked separate in vegetable oil: terribly unhealthy tho :o I do have a habit of grabbing a samosa or a bag of mixed veg (broccolli, sugar snap peas and carrots nommy) from Marks and Spencers as evil as they are. This has made me think though...I think next time I will locate a market stall or small greengrocers and buy something there. (What...wash fruit..me? :o )

harpy
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Bags of dried fruit and nuts are available in most shops although you do have to check ingredients lists for honey etc. If you buy (or have with you) an apple you can just give it a quick wipe.

Fungus
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Pringles are good ..
Some shops have rolls/baguettes etc ..
Chippies ..
Question; are vegetarian samosa's always vegan - or is there ingredients like cream or butter etc added to them? ..

Lots of snack food is vegan .. just have to look out for it :)

harpy
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Some people aren't keen on Pringles because of who makes them and because of their use of palm oil.

http://vegannewsandreviews.blogspot.com/2007/11/do-you-eat-pringles.html

I'm partial to crisps etc myself but I think (unsalted) nuts are a better option if you're replacing a meal because they have more nutritional value and will keep you going longer.

wildcatstrike
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
this never really happens to me, but if it did i would probably look for a health food shop and try and get a pasty or sos roll & a soya milkshake, but if i was in a rush i'd perhaps dive in the nearest supermarket and grab a bread roll, some houmous and bag of crisps - or check out the chiller section for some "ready to go" type stuff like couscous or pasta.

philfox
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
... Question; are vegetarian samosa's always vegan - or is there ingredients like cream or butter etc added to them? ..

Unless a bakery/deli can guarantee their ingredients it's best not to risk it. M&S do one that is in a wrapper which has no animal ingredients listed and was, the last time I munched upon it's spicy goodness perfectly vegan.

Kyi-po
Jul 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
For those that miss pringles M&S make a fab alternative, which I saw at christmas , they look just like Pringles and I'm 99% sure they are vegan.

sugarmouse
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I would locate a health food shop or a boots.
I wouldnt buy pringles on principle.
Or I would label read on bags of crisps/crispbreads/rice cakes.
Alot of convinience food shops and delis seem happy to make up a pasta/couscous salad with no animal ingredients, if they do not have one anyway.

Sluggie
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:35 PM
For those that miss pringles M&S make a fab alternative, which I saw at christmas , they look just like Pringles and I'm 99% sure they are vegan.
I had some of those recently. They taste just like Pringles too.

I usually look for a health food store or Boots if I'm lunching on the run.

Mr Flibble
Jul 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I usually just go to a supermarket and buy stuff. I do this several times a week at work.

London Zone 1-2 is piss easy, theres so much choice everywhere. Lots of mini supermarkets/large news agents have fresh vegan marked sandwiches/meals/salads. There's a really good selecton at the one opposite our South London office.

I've not eaten a pringle in almost 10 years and wouldn't touch a vegetable samosa that I didn't know the ingredients of/how it'd been cooked. ;)

Big Good Wolf
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I normally put off shopping which means I am hungry by the time I get to the shops and want something straight away.

Stuff I regularly eat straight from the packet as soon as I get outside the shop;

Main course;
Onion bhajis
Vegetable samosas
Smoked or marinated tofu
Humus and bread
Tinned sweetcorn (if you carry a tin opener)
Tesco Italian Pasta salad (if you carry cutlery or are prepared to improvise)

Dessert;
Ritter sport
Soya custard

Many towns have a baked potato stall. They should do one with beans and no butter if you ask.

ellaminnowpea
Jul 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I know this would be different for me in the US, but I'll usually stop at a grocery store if I can see one from the road. Otherwise, I'll hit a gas station for dried fruit and nuts, luna bars, or plain pretzels. That's assuming I'm on foot and know the language. If I don't know the language, I stick with dried fruit and nuts or hummus. Different regions of the US have different sets of gas stations and convenience stores, so I tend to look for the bigger ones that have more options. Theres a huge difference in quality and variety of these stores throughout the US.

bexi
Jul 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'd try and find a Boots. If I couldn't spot one I'd probs just go grab an apple and some trail mix or if I had a bit more time I'd go and buy some bread, houmous and salad and make a sandwich.

confusionisben
Jul 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
If it's only a big supermarket that is available then i'd grab something from the salad bar. Or like loads of others have said: bread + hummus = rustic lunch.

derwenna
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'd look for Holland and Barrett, Boots or small sandwich shops as they will sometimes have houmous and roasted vegetables on the menu. Otherwise I'd look for a supermarket, have a look for a salad bar or vegan salad pots in the chillers or get houmous, bread rolls and maybe a bag of salad. If I couldn't be bothered faffing about with houmous I'd get any of: marinated tofu pieces, bananas or other fruit, crisps, nuts, nice bread rolls to eat on their own, olives or cereal bars and some fruit juice or smoothie. Or get a portion of chips. :D If there's only little shops around you can usually find crisps, nuts, bananas, fruit juice or the occasional Fry's chocolate cream if you're lucky.

RubyDuby
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
subway. eat fresh.

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Subway's a bit of a rip-off for vegans imo. all you can basically get is some limp salad in a plain sub. can you get better fillings in the US?

RubyDuby
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
its pretty cheap as far as vegan meals go imo.
I usually get lettuce, spinach, extra tomato, pickle, olive, onion, carrots and always add avocado. then either sweet onion or vinegar salt and pepper. and usually add chips (crisps) to my sandwich. :D
i'm the annoying customer in line that keeps telling the sandwich artist to "add more, comon its just veggies in the sandwich!"

footlong sandwich with chips and soda for like $6 isn't bad.

eta: i couldnt eat it if the veggies were limp. ewww.

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Subway don't have carrot, spinach or avocado in their salad here. they don't let you put chips/crisps in them either, you'd have to buy a packet separately and put them in yourself. i think just a footlong on its own in the UK costs £3.99 which is like $7.98 :eek:

RubyDuby
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
oh yeah, i put the chips in myself. :)

u guys get ripped off there!

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
oh right, i thought you were getting them to put the chips/crisps in there for you. still a packet of crisps costs like £1/$2 in Subway, plus another £1.50/$3 for a drink - you're damn right we get ripped off! :mad:

robb
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Starbucks' falafel wrap. Even says vegan on it.

There's a "Bugsy" sandwich available in various places, such as some Boots stores (again actually labelled as vegan).

EAT. hummus wrap (and, yes, that's labelled as vegan too :)).

There's some make of flapjack that I see in a lot of newsagents too, and they label the vegan ones.

(I haven't seen the sandwich thread so apologies if any of those were duplicates.)

So what can we eat in a Subway? I've always given them a wide berth as I doubted they'd be able to cope...

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
So what can we eat in a Subway? I've always given them a wide berth as I doubted they'd be able to cope...

not much, lol. there's a thread about Subway here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=subway)