PDA

View Full Version : Rich vanilla cake recipes??

veganmom07
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:47 AM
My baby brother is turning 16 on Sept. 4th and he's requested that I make him a vegan vanilla cake. But he's very specific in that he does not want it to be light and fluffy. He says he wants a very dense, rich cake. Does anyone know of any recipes that make a vanilla cake like this? All the vanilla cake recipes I have seem to be for light, fluffy cakes.
I would appreciate any input; thanks! :)

Maisiepaisie
Jul 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hmm... I could bake you one using one of the light and fluffy recipes and more than likely it will turn out like a brick, as has happened with many of my baking disasters :lol:

veganmom07
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
LOL
Thanks for the offer. hehe
Baking is actually one of my favorite hobbies. Probably because I'm pretty good at it. It's hard not to bake too much when I'm trying to avoid sugar, (I'm kind of sensitive to it.) but I really love to. :D

Agatha
Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yes! this is a good 'un, really rich a nd moist:

125g marg
75g golden castor sugar
250g self raising flour
3tsps baking powder
pinch of maldon (or any sea) salt
275ml soya yoghurt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp soya milk

1. preheat oven to 180*c. meanwhile heat marg and sugar in a pan until melted and sugar dissolved

2. seive flour and baking powder. pour in cooled marg&sugar mixture. mix well. add soya yoghurt and vanilla. mix well. add soya milk if necessary to achieve a good dropping texture

3. bake for 20-25 mins. 8inch tin is big enough.

4. yum yum!

*adapted from Joy of Vegan Cookery

veganmom07
Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks so much for the reply, but I live in the states, and have no idea how to convert these measurements. Any tips for this?
Thanks! :dizzy:

Mr Flibble
Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
google?

Ruby Rose
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Straightforward conversion of weights might not work - it's a different kind of baking. American recipes work on comparative volumes of the ingredients rather than comparative weights. Could you not borrow a kitchen scale with grams on it?