PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Conservation Society discovers 'Planet of the Apes'

Korn
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Wildlife Conservation Society discovers 'Planet of the Apes'

New census shows massive gorilla population in Northern Republic of Congo

A western lowland gorilla silverback among members of a group.
Click here for more information.
The world's population of critically endangered western lowland gorillas received a huge boost today when the Wildlife Conservation Society released a census showing massive numbers of these secretive great apes alive and well in the Republic of Congo.

The new census tallied more than 125,000 western lowland gorillas in two adjacent areas in the northern part of the country, covering an area of 18,000 square miles (47,000 square kilometers). Previous estimates from the 1980s placed the entire population of western lowland gorillas, which occur in seven Central African nations, at less than 100,000. Since then, however, scientists had believed that this number had at least halved, due to hunting and disease.

More here (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-08/wcs-wcs080508.php).

vava
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
:mad: sadly news like this just encourages the hunters to start polishing up their guns.

Korn
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, that's my thought too. Those poor gorillas would be better off undiscovered.

Gorilla
Aug 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
i loooove gorillas (hence my username). they are so beautiful. if only this colony was protected. :(

rantipole
Aug 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
At least some environmental news is good. I hope that this population can be protected.

Cheers,
rant

Frank
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I wonder if the Gorilla population increases are anything to do with the millions of people killed in the region over the last 15 years.

Will wildlife flourish again then, when man has made himself extinct?