PDA

View Full Version : Roxy's Peanutty Tempeh Penne

Pages : [1] 2 3

Roxy
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
At the request of fondducoeur and veganwitch, here's the basic recipe for something I threw together this week.

It made lots of food, which is great for my partner and I as it keeps in the fridge for a few days and can be used for lunches and/or dinners during the week. We both work shift work, so this works well for us.

I boiled up a bag of vegetable penne (you know, the white, green & orange penne pasta) with a few drops of olive oil in a large saucepan. I drained it, and run some cold water through it so it wouldn't stick and set it aside.

I had some Indonesian flavoured tempeh in the freezer (basically tempeh with a light chili flavour), which I thawed and cut into squares.

I sauteed some red onion (about a quarter of a large onion), and then threw in about a half a chopped red pepper and the tempeh. I cooked that on a low heat while I made the peanut sauce.

To make the sauce, I mixed together in a small saucepan:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp soy sauce (I like the "light" or lower salt variety)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
a dash of garlic powder
a dash of ginger powder
a dash of habenero sauce

You might need to use more hot water and/or more olive oil to make your sauce a bit runnier. I don't like mine too thick.

Then pop the penne, the onion/pepper/tempeh mixture back into the large saucepan and pour in the peanut sauce. Stir it all up to properly coat everything in the sauce and heat gently if serving it right away.

Enjoy :)

missbettie
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
oooo sounds yummy!!! 2 bad my bf doesn't like onion or peppers....actually come to think about it he doesn't like any pasta with peanut sauce...what a freak!!!

anyway...i'll have to try it for myself at least!! it sound delish!!!

Roxy
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yah....what a freak!! ;):D

Just halve the quantities if you want to make it for one, and you'll still get at least a couple of meals out of it. :)

missbettie
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
oh roxy i think you underestimate my appetite. :D

Roxy
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Haha! Make the lot then :D I'll be down to help you consume it with a vat of wine :D

missbettie
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
woo hoo!!!

Gorilla
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:57 PM
sounds dee-lish, although i'd have to omit the tempeh as i don't like it! :p :)

Roxy
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
lol - a lot of people don't. The Indonesian flavoured one is the only one I really like.

Cubes of tofu would probably work just as well. Or even some kind of veggie "chicken".

Huddy
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'll definitely be trying this one-what an awesome recipe Roxy. Sounds YUMMY!:p

sugarmouse
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I want to try this!maybes with tofu iv never tried temeh?
Whats the nutritional info on it estimated? not perfect info I mean like, is it mega fatty/calorfic or not....

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I would say a lot of dense calories sugarmouse. Pasta is high in calories, as is tempeh and peanut butter is high in fat.

In saying this though, it's still a relatively healthy recipe. It's quite filling, so you don't need to eat a lot of it in one sitting.

I hope you enjoy it Huddy :)

veganwitch
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks for posting this Roxy. I am definitely going to try it. I love tempeh but I've never seen Indonesian style. I might have to improvise but that's how I tend to cook anyway.:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear this makes a lot as my appetite is huge. My husband was joking that your pasta salad recipe made 18 pounds!! Of course we had no trouble polishing that off. ;)

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks veganwitch :) I hope you enjoy it! We're still working our way through ours. I've got more in my bento tomorrow for lunch lol. It's so tasty though, so I'm not sick of it at all.

Plain tempeh (or firm tofu) would work well too probably. Like you said....have a bit of an improvise and let me know what works for you.

Tell that husband of yours that if agrees to take me gambling, I'll make up a pasta recipe and name it after him ;):D

fondducoeur
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks so much! I will be making this soon!

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
You're welcome and I hope you enjoy it :)

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
mmmmm it looks and sounds delish :)

veganwitch
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Tell that husband of yours that if agrees to take me gambling, I'll make up a pasta recipe and name it after him ;):D

LMAO !!

He's been after me to write a vegan cookbook and I am SLOWLY getting behind the idea. If you agree, that pasta recipe and tempeh recipe could work their way in ;):)

As far as the gambling goes...I have a thing about letting my husband out on the town w/ pretty blondes ;):D

Roxy
Aug 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
mmmmm it looks and sounds delish :)

Thanks Cedar :)

Sure - I'd love you to use those recipes in your book, Veganwitch. So we've got a name for the second recipe. Maybe we could think of something a bit more exciting for the first one, instead of Roxy's Pasta Salad lol! If you make up a nice Goddess dressing recipe we could call it "Pasta Salad by Roxy & The Witch" :D

Well, how about if hubby teaches you and I those special math skills and we go out on the town for a girls night! :D

Tigerlily
Aug 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I love tempeh more than tofu. MMM.

Did you use normal Kraft-style peanut butter or natural stuff?

Roxy
Aug 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I had a jar of the "Peanut Butter & Co" smooth pb in the cupboard. It's very similar to the Kraft style stuff, but it does separate, so I had to stir it up before I used it.

veganwitch
Aug 15th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Sure - I'd love you to use those recipes in your book, Veganwitch. So we've got a name for the second recipe. Maybe we could think of something a bit more exciting for the first one, instead of Roxy's Pasta Salad lol! If you make up a nice Goddess dressing recipe we could call it "Pasta Salad by Roxy & The Witch" :D

The goddess dressing I used came out of a bottle :rolleyes: . Maybe we could just call it the Eighteen Pound Pasta Salad or would that be a turnoff..LOL.

Well, how about if hubby teaches you and I those special math skills and we go out on the town for a girls night! :D

Now that sounds like a plan to me...the tea queen and the recipe queen will paint the town red!!

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Eighteen Pound Pasta LOL! How much freakin pasta did you use!? :D

This week I'm going to make Rachel's potato curry, Cherry's lemon cake and Little Sea Wolf's hobo caserole (post 254, page 9) (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=385424&highlight=hobo#post385424). I've made the hobo caserole lots of times before and love it every time.

If anyone gives my recipe a go this weekend, post a pic and let me know how it turns out :)

veganwitch
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Eighteen Pound Pasta LOL! How much freakin pasta did you use!? :D

This week I'm going to make Rachel's potato curry, Cherry's lemon cake and Little Sea Wolf's hobo caserole (post 254, page 9) (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=385424&highlight=hobo#post385424). I've made the hobo caserole lots of times before and love it every time.

If anyone gives my recipe a go this weekend, post a pic and let me know how it turns out :)

I used the same amount I always use, a one pound bag. Honest ;)

All of those recipes sound wonderful and hobo casserole sounds so cute!

I picked up the tempeh for your recipe. I couldn't find the flavor you get but I got garden veggie instead. I'll make it over the weekend and report back :) (posting a pic might be beyond my technical capabilities, but I'll see what I can do)

Roxy
Aug 16th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Yay! :) I picked up all the ingredients today for my weekend cooking too.

Kitteh
Aug 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Sounds delish, I love having tempeh w/ peanut sauce!