PDA

View Full Version : Is hunting scallops okay?

Pages : [1] 2

thatonechicgirl
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Okay my family is planning a scalloping trip this weekend. Now I won't eat them, because flesh is flesh. Basically scalloping you just snorkle and pick them up, if I was to pick them up and do the actual harvesting of the scallops would that be wrong? Please explain why or why you would or wouldn't. Thanks!

Love, Chelsea

AKA - thatonechicgirl :dizzy:

By the way as someone pointed out I didn't state that I'm the youngest daughter. I'm 14. And the only vegetarian in my family.

tipsy
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
as a vegan, my goal is to allow forms of life to live as they would. isnt that what life is about?

basically this means avoiding consuming, exploiting, and/or disturbing animals' lives. if you were the scallop, would you want to be ripped from your natural habitat??

i personally would not participate. but every vegan has thier own lines of comfort that they draw.

missbettie
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM
well if you harvest them then whats the harm in eating them?

wouldn't this be the same thing as "what would the harm be if I fished? as long as I didn't eat the fish"

I hope I don't sound mean, I mean this in the most matter of a fact way. :D

Welcome to the forum BTW!!!!

Poison Ivy
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM
If you 'harvest' them won't that then just mean someone else in your snorkelling party will eat them? Personally I wouldn't want to be involved in that, I'd just go and enjoy the snorkelling without feeling the need to take any scallops.:)

Korn
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Just in case you aren't aware that we have a thread about vegan views on clams, oysters, scallops and mussels already:
We have a thread about vegan views on clams, oysters, scallops and mussels (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3493&highlight=scallops) already.

:)

Zero
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Its no different than hunting, using or killing any other sentient life for any purpose. So no it isn't ok.

Really hope you decide not to participate :)

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Argh! Definitely 100% wrong!

Their lives are in your hands (literally). I would want as many as possible to be undisturbed, and definitely wouldn't want to condemn them to being cooked and eaten.

harpy
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I definitely wouldn't, no, any more than I'd kill a pig or something for someone else to eat. I know it's harder to empathise with a scallop than a mammal, but it's still an animal.

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I have no problem empathising with a scallop :D lol

tipsy
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have no problem empathising with a scallop :D lol

i know, its easy for me too!!! :D:p

harpy
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
:D It might be quite pleasant to be a scallop in Florida, as long as you didn't get harvested.

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Quite :D *plip* (That's my scallop impression)

Mr Flibble
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Cherry sent me a card a couple of years back with a happy swimming mullusc, with joggle eyes and stars in the water. It was cute.

I think you should leave them alone. I'm pretty sure they'd be much happier in the sea than being boiled alive in a saucepan.

Could you sabotage the hunt perhaps by for instance letting all the air out of your family's car tyres the night before?

harpy
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Very realistic impersonation, Cherry :D

I wouldn't let the air out of the tyres - apart from anything else that sort of thing can easily go wrong, e.g. the family might need the car for an emergency. I would have a go at persuading them to leave the scallops alone though.

Mr Flibble
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Perhaps you could go dressed as a scallop?

http://www.costumeworksinc.com/gallery/promo/Shuckyatthefair.jpg

Stu
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
How do you pronounce 'scallop'?

Gorilla
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
i don't know why a vegan would want to assist someone else in eating a living creature, even if you weren't to eat it yourself. :confused:

RachelJune
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't do it, no way. I understand it's difficult sometimes to make a stand and be left out of family activities, but this would go against my ethics as a vegan.

I'm assuming you're vegan at least partly for ethical reasons, compassion for animals etc. If so, then substitute "cow" or "sheep" instead of "scallop" and pose the same question to yourself. Would you go away with your family and help them round up some cattle to go to the slaughterhouse where they would kill them? In this way, you're not doing the killing, but you're a part of it, all the same :( Let them do their own dirty work.

If you feel uncomfortable about explaining to them that you don't want to take part in the activity, why not try suggesting something else to do together instead?

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
How do you pronounce 'scallop'?

Like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop) - My dad says 'scollop' but that sounds funny when you see it written down.

Thanks Harpy ;) It was a limpet, Mr Flibble :D I like limpets.

Mr Flibble
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Yep, part of the mollusc family :)

Cherry
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
It is. Bivalvia ;) I once wrote a whole essay about molluscs in an exam :D OK...I'm sounding quite weird now.

herbwormwood
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Please explain why or why you would or wouldn't. Thanks!

Love, Chelsea

AKA - thatonechicgirl :dizzy:

Dear Chelsea,
You don't explain your position in the family, if you are the parent then you can choose to call this off and do something else instead as it definitely does not accord with vegan ethics.

If the parents have planned this for you and you have to go along, you could either stay on the beach and read, walk along the beach, or you could enjoy a nice swim (without scalloping).

Tigerlily
Aug 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
No way Jose.

I don't see why you couldn't just stay on the beach or go snorkeling without the hunting.

Windfall
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:52 AM
1. No, I dont think its right, leave them be

2. Is it actually possible to HUNT something thats laying on the bottom of the sea?

3. Mollusc is actually a funnier word than scallop...

sugarmouse
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Mollusc is for some reason, a hilarious word!?I find some words really funny.Maybes I am weird.
But yes.
My morals persoanlly, I wouldnt ever stop an animal for living its life naturally as it was. (all my pets are rescues)

and as a vegan by definition, it is not ok to hunt anything.

It may be a difficult situation for you , but if it were me I would just do my own thing that day and leave others to it, unless, as others have said, you can stop it happening totally, which I would try to do.