PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Movie Needs Your Help!

veganfilmmaker
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I am currently in pre-production for my graduation film with the London Film School. The intent of the film will be to promote a vegan lifestyle. However, it is unique in the sense that it will not be a documentary, it is a fictional romantic comedy. This means that the subject of veganism serves as a sub-text to the journey of the main character. I feel this approach has the potential for reaching a much wider range of people than the typical educational documentary.

I have a budget for the film of 3250 but I will need another 1700 to complete the film. I will be starting principle photography on September 16th so I will be starting a 30 day public fundraiser for the remaining monies needed. Any donation from $1/1 would be a great help. I have just started a personal blog which you can view to learn more about my goals and intentions with this film and my future filmmaking projects.

http://veganfilmmaker.com

rianaelf
Aug 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Well that soundz like a fun idea, good luck with it!

as for raising funds, why don't you do some kind of fundraising thing like walking, running or cycling a certain distance, people can pay per mile or just a one off donation.
Ofcourse there are lots of other things you could do, that was just an example but if you did something like that and got all your friends and family and fellow students to sponser you, you never know how much you might make towards your film :smile:

veganfilmmaker
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
That is a great suggestion rianaelf. Thank you. I would like to do something like that for the feature that I am planning after this short film. However, right now I have very little time as I plan on shooting in less than a month.

Josef
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
the last romantic comedy with vegan undertones made me want to self-annihilate. surely this one will be more successful.

rianaelf
Aug 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
the last romantic comedy with vegan undertones made me want to self-annihilate. surely this one will be more successful.

whcih one was that?

veganfilmmaker
Aug 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
it might have been "How do live with a vegan without killing them" which was pretty awful and pretty anti-vegan. Or maybe Sweet November...although Charlise Theron wasn't really a vegan in the film.

Josef
Aug 19th, 2008, 01:48 AM
it was Relative Strangers, i think. when the protagonist grows depressed and forlorn, of course he forsakes his veganism and savages some spare ribs or something.

rianaelf
Aug 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I havnt heard of any of those but I wish you lots of luck with your movie!
I guess people need to get to know you a bit better before they are likely to make donations which im sure you understand so post post and post lots and lots and maybe go to a meet up or if there isnt one soon in your area perhaps arrange one :cool:

harpy
Aug 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Yes, some people would be more inclined to support someone they know personally, but OTOH a lot of us will give a pound to two to a total stranger in the street who asks us to spare them some change, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad impulse.

Veganfilmmaker has a website that explains his credentials and what he's trying to do, and the film seems a worthwhile project.

rianaelf
Aug 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that's very true and I didn't realise you had a website, apologies!!!

veganfilmmaker
Aug 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I will definitely stay away from the Relative Strangers film you mentioned Josef. Thank you rianelf and Harpy for your comments regarding my film. I do realize that it is much more helpful to ask from donations from people that I already know but I don't really have any support or network base of interested vegans that I know. I have spend most of my past immersed in film production and finishing my bachelors and masters degrees. That is why I started the website is to build up a web presence so people would feel more comfortable supporting me (i.e.because i have a history and am trustworthy). It's been an uphill challenge so far because I didn't know anything about websites or blogging. I am trying to do the best I can now but I can now but I am still extremely busy with the pre-production of the film.

I imagine that after I get this short film done, I will be in a much better place for future projects because people will see the film and know that I am serious through the quality of my work.

eve
Aug 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
vegan filmmaker - if you put out some info, please check your spelling:
"I will definately ... "
because there is no letter 'a' in definitely, and whilst many posters spell it as you do on this forum, I wouldn't think of correcting them, but you're into a business, and errors like that can be a sign of a writer who can't be bothered to check his spelling, so what else can't he be bothered about? ;)

harpy
Aug 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
While we're being picky ;) it might be worth your editing your original post, veganfilmmaker, to make the link to your website into a live one - if people can get there just by clicking then they may be more likely to have a look.

veganfilmmaker
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the spelling correction eve. It is a good suggestion to run a spell check before sumbitting a post.

veganfilmmaker
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
harpy, thank you for the suggestion. I have updated the original post to include an active link to my site.

rianaelf
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
harpy, thank you for the suggestion. I have updated the original post to include an active link to my site.

Ah kool :)
Have you had any donators yet?

Ruby Rose
Aug 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
It is a good suggestion to run a spell check before sumbitting a post.
You have a very mischievous sense of humour, VFM!

veganfilmmaker
Aug 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
thanks ruby rose, I couldn't help myself.

Ruby Rose
Aug 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Does your concept definitely need that big a budget? Could you rethink it more cheaply?

Have you thought about this kind of film-making?
http://fmu.useful.co.uk/productionguild/FMPro?-db=pgnews.fp5&-format=newsitem.asp&-sortfield=rank&Publish=Show&-max=2147483647&-recid=33870&-find=

veganfilmmaker
Aug 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
rianelf, I have only had about 20 donated so far aside from the 200 that I put in.

veganfilmmaker
Aug 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
ruby rose, thank you for the link but the micro-budget filmmaking scheme is only valid for feature length films. My film will only be 20 minutes in duration.

I have spoken with Film London and the Film Council regarding my project...however, they are not offering any production schemes for short films or student filmmakers any time soon.

harpy
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Have you thought of asking any vegan organisations or food manufacturers to chip in as well? You might get a bit more from them than from us impoverished lot and with any luck they would settle for an acknowledgment rather than insisting on product placement (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/aug/20/advertising) :rolleyes: ETA... not that that is an example of product placement, of course.

veganfilmmaker
Aug 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
harpy, I have actually tried to contact vegan companies like Lush and rawcreation but it is very difficult to drum up interest for a short film that doesn't have much commercial potential. I will have a go at various organization world wide once I have completed the film and have a money making script in hand for a feature. It is getting to that point that is the difficult part. That's why I am asking for incremental donations from individuals...it is the only realistic option there is for generating the money that I need for the film given my time and resources.

veganfilmmaker
Aug 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
that was a great article by the way harpy...thanks!

Ruby Rose
Aug 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Whilst I think it's a terrific endeavour, my feeling is that if I were going to put money into a film (rather than give it, say, to an animal sanctuary), I'd be doing it because I thought it was a bloody good script and there was a chance of lots of people seeing the film. To be really honest, a 20 min pic with veganism as a subtext isn't enough to make me put my hand in my pocket. If it's an idea that you really, really believe in - why aren't you making a full length feature with the potential to be sold and screened? 20 mins is really a showreel piece for you rather than something others will get to see. Spike Lee funded his first film with credit cards because he believed in it so strongly. It meant he had a feature to sell, and he took off from there.