PDA

View Full Version : Cooking soya beans: failed at step one! Advice?

robb
Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I've never cooked soya beans before. But I've quite enjoyed those little packs of dry roasted soya beans, so I thought I'd do something similar (well, it worked for pumpkin seeds...)

So I bought some beans and started to follow the instructions... "Step 1: Soak the beans for 24 hours."

However, I forgot about them and they've had at about 72 hours! (I forget exactly when I put the on to soak so it could be even longer). They look fine but they smell awful! Is that normal, or do you think they've gone off?

sugarmouse
Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I would just rinse them thoroughly, and carry on, see what happens.
Have oversoaked beans myself before several times:)

gogs67
Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've always just picked them, taken them out the shell and boiled for a few mins!:confused:

Edit: Ah, you talking about dried beans! lol

robb
Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks sugarmouse.

What do I do after that? I seem to have recycled the instructions!

sugarmouse
Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Rinse all the manky water off
Put in apan with loads of water
bring to boil
simmer until soft.
Taste them

If theyre foul, call it failure and get thee to a health food shop for what you want.
If they aint...then season them, squirt with oil and roast...if that waht you were going to do in first place?
Alternatively juggle with them or use them to make ppl fall over in shopping centres.

robb
Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know how I get on... ;)

bryzee86
Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
they may well have fermented, by the way.

robb
Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:46 AM
They had to go. The smell was too bad. Even after umpteen rinses...

Aradia
Aug 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I make my own soya milk and tofu and find that if the soya beans are left in soak too long (and I've never left them as long as 72 hours!) .. .then they can smell and they also taste bad. I've made batches of milk before because I can't bear waste, but had to throw it away as it tasted bad, and didn't smell too great.

If I left anything in soak for 72 hours then I'd bin 'em straight away.

Shrapnel
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure what the maximum soak time is, but I left soy beans soaking in the fridge for two days (48 hours, give or take) and they turned out ok, but I think that 72 is really pushing it, and if the start to smell overripe, then I'd agree it's time to chuck 'em.

bryzee86
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
in the fridge they'd be okay - they'd take ages to ferment in there.

robb
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'll have to try again. And set an alarm on my phone this time!

Shrapnel
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
in the fridge they'd be okay - they'd take ages to ferment in there.

That's what I'd think, but I wasn't sure. I didn't see if Robb's manky beans were in the fridge or not (I've just always put them in the fridge to soak, chickpeas too). Heh, I don't know how long they'd last in the fridge, but I'm not fixing to find out. Probably past the 72 hour mark, I'd guess.

robb
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
No, they weren't in the fridge. That didn't even occur to me...

I am a good cook really!! ;) I just don't normally do things that require preparing in advance...

Shrapnel
Aug 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Well, since soaking isn't exactly cooking, you can still keep status as good cook even with soy stank incidents :p

robb
Aug 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Ha ha. Yes, I'm a good cook not an old soak. :D

Shrapnel
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Though, if you can't get soaked, you can always get baked :p