PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan pot-luck dish

emjace
Aug 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hello all--

So I'm looking forward to attending an end-of-summer BBQ where there are no plans for accomodating non-meat eaters. No problem I love to cook. So....

What are you favorite vegan main dishes to bring to picnics, bbqs, dinners, etc. Recipes or links would also be appreciated!!

DiaShel
Aug 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I'm not much of a cook so I always bring pico de gallo and everyone loves it. Chips too of course. It's one of those things that isn't obviously vegan, just happens to not contain anything non-vegan.
Here's the recipe
Chop up:
Tomatoes
cilantro
onions
jalopeno or seranos (I like the latter cause it's spicier)
corn (not chopped)
Squeze lemon
add salt
MIX!

Mr Flibble
Aug 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Anything that doesn't involve pet food! :eek:

emjace
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Anything that doesn't involve pet food! :eek:

Thanks Mr. Flib! Vegan kibble was on my list of back-up ideas...

bryzee86
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'd suggest coleslaw and potato salad.

and a good cake or cupcakes.

Always go down a treat.

Gorilla
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
potato salad
pasta salad
onion bhajis/pakoras etc.

firstandthen
Aug 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
savoury rice salad
three bean salad
vegetable spring rolls

harpy
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I made these "sausage" rolls and they seemed to go down quite well at an omnivorous party:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17633

Garlic bread is another easy thing to take. The lack of butter isn't a problem as you can make it with vegan margarine or olive oil. Get it ready and wrap in foil and then you can just heat it up when you arrive (assuming an oven's available!).

jamboxrock
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
If it's a bbq where they will be grilling I like to take something to grill, long as you don't mind your food being near the non veggie food. If the grill is dirty you can cook on a piece of foil. Veggie burgers, dogs, just veggies, corn on the cob. All the above suggestoins are great too, Pasta salad is also a good idea, everybody loves pasta salad. And if you can bake, definitely a dessert. I've found that's the best way to woo people.