PDA

View Full Version : Chili Recipe

vegan_quilter
Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'm feeling really American right now. :) Lol* Brought up on meat and potatoes, I needed a midwestern replacement for burgers that don't taste like mushed beans and sprouts with ketchup on top. I'm also not a fan of lots of ingredients that I can't pronounce, so here's my version of chili, since I don't see it here already. :)

I'm not sure what differences there might be in measurement for some of you, math is not my strongpoint, but I can tell you I basically use 1 package or can of each ingredient.

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can red kidney beans (well rinsed)
1 can (the small can, 8 oz.?) black beans (also well rinsed)
1 can (8 oz. or 2-3 ears) corn
1 pckg. mild vegan chili mix (There are many brands at the grociery store that are vegan though not advertised as such. Just double check the label.)

* I throw all of these in a crock pot on high for about 4 hours, and serve hot with a baked potato and a dairy free margarine spread. I miss the fat from hamburger being in my chili, so if you place a pat of margarine on top of your chili and let it melt, it really tastes great. Doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for your waste line, but it's still much healthier for you than traditional chili.

Est
Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Sounds very nice VQ :)

I think chilli is such a fab dish - great for 2 people for dinner or for 20 just by mutiplying up the ingredients - so simple!

vegan_quilter
Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Thank you Est - I posted too quickly, I see there is another chili recipe here. Oh well, it's my favorite! :)

Reed
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Wow, I just checked my cabinet and was thrilled to see that I already have all of the necessary ingredients in the house already except for the powder.

I'm definitely having this for lunch today. :) Awesome!

Reed
Oct 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, I have followed through on my word, having just had a HUGE plate of chili for lunch. Along with the chili powder, I also picked up some spicy crushed peppers in vinegar at the store, which I added to the mix along with some sesame seeds for a nice crunchy texture. I'd definitely recommend both of these for anyone looking to change it up a little. ;)

I ate so much I think I'm going to be sick. But man, it was good. And people in my life worry if I'm starving myself as a vegan!

Metal Maniac
Oct 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Thanxs vegan quilter..i made your recipe this afternoon and it is top knotch!

Thanxs a bunch!!! :)